Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 01:29 AM

805 posts, read 2,001,481 times

Advertisements

Kind of a piggy back on this...I've been curious for a while and digging around online.

Between WA and OR, which of the two are more leave you alone mind their own business type of place? I know they are both pretty liberal. Does one have an advantage over the other, as far as gun laws, and rural areas for camping/off roading etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 05:32 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
I think gun and rural access are similar, but Oregon has better managed public hunting for big game, although it's not a huge difference.

To me the big difference is no income tax in WA, versus no sales tax in OR. So ideally you live and work in WA, but go shop in OR at least occasionally.

Really both states are politically dominated by a big left-liberal city on the coast, and are rainy and liberal west of the Cascades, dry and conservative east of them.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:21 PM

362 posts, read 392,487 times
Florida is a good state for feeling free of gov intrusion. No state income tax, my house taxes are 700 and change. We have stand your ground laws that don't require you to retreat. There is no state vehicle inspection and unions are powerless to abuse taxpayers here (doesn't mean they don't try). I can't live here year round, can't take the hot humid summers. But I like it here better than Pa when it comes to big brutha.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:40 PM

829 posts, read 2,955,924 times
This is a great topic...

PeepoRsheep in your opinion between South Carolina, Ga, and Florida which state has the most liberty, and which state is the most politically conservative?

I figured you may know that being you reside in Fl often...I have spent some time in Florida..and love a lot of the state...spent a lot of time in St Augustine down as far as CoCoa Beach

Old 12-11-2010, 09:26 PM

363 posts, read 1,043,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeepoRsheep View Post
Florida is a good state for feeling free of gov intrusion. No state income tax, my house taxes are 700 and change. We have stand your ground laws that don't require you to retreat. There is no state vehicle inspection and unions are powerless to abuse taxpayers here (doesn't mean they don't try). I can't live here year round, can't take the hot humid summers. But I like it here better than Pa when it comes to big brutha.
Fla = no income tax big whoop = the fees and sales tax will get you! If the heat doesn't kill you, the bugs and snakes will. That's one state that needs to get the gas pukers off the road, but removed the only inspection in Pinellas county a few years ago. It was a big money maker for the county, so they raised fees elsewhere. Go figure. Had nothing to do with unions. The few that exist down there are paid half of what they'd make up North, for the priv of living in Fla. The stand your ground law had to be implemented by Legislation - you could be arrested before defending yourself prior and you still need a CCA for handguns - so where's the freedom?

PA has relented on its taxation, so much that nearly all my friends that I worked with down there have gone back home!

Old 12-12-2010, 03:08 PM

805 posts, read 2,001,481 times
ThaNks for the feedback mitch on oregon and washington...I currently live in idaho...it has everything I'm looking for other than salary...which was leading me to the coast. I figured both wa and or would be a better pick.
How would nevada fit in with these three? I think that it would have politics similar to idaho. Looking at reno as a possible

Old 12-18-2010, 12:31 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,108,082 times
Default State with less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I doubt it, since open carry is legal. I have never heard of that around here. That is walking. If a loaded hand gun is found under the seat of a vehical that was stopped for a moving infraction and there is no permit then you can get busted. If the weapon isn't loaded then it fine for non permtiee's.

A long gun loaded in a vehical and even leaned on a vehical can get you busted fast. Some hunters don't know that and pay a harsh price. I think of that as a trick used by LEO's. Man a hunter come out of the woods leans his rifle up to get his keys and can be checked out and busted if the rifle is loaded and leaning.

So far as I know that is std in all states but i could be wrong.
It is not against the law to have a firearm loaded and in a motor vehicle, in Oregon. But, you can not have a loaded firearm on an ATV or on your person when you are riding an ATV.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:18 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
You can have a loaded shot gun or rifle in a vehical there, in Oregon?

Old 12-19-2010, 11:06 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
This topic and the link given below has been discussed before on a few different forums at CD should any wish to search for them. It is a rating methology from the Libertarian viewpoint. Not all agree with its conclusions. It is in PDF and you will need Adobe to download it. Lots of tables and graphs, very interesting and worthwhile to study.
Freedom in the 50 States: An Index of Personal and Economic Freedom | Mercatus

Old 12-21-2010, 08:33 PM

829 posts, read 2,955,924 times
Black shoe-thanks for that link! Im sure that is what a lot of us are looking for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness