Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 09:46 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,834,047 times

Advertisements

Criminials: break in, mugging, car jacking,etc.

Natural disaster: hurricane, tornado, etc..

Civil disorder: riot, work stoppage by government,etc.

Collapse of society: national bankruptcy, massive currency depreciation, war

Civil War: regional, cultural,racial, class

Other: Zombie attack?

I ask because I think it is interesting there is a this subforum and some of the thread titles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 09:57 AM

25,707 posts, read 18,781,503 times
All of the above, except for the zombie thing.

Do you have any tools in your home at all? Or in your car? A hammer? A pair of pliers? What are you preparing for in owning them?

How can it not be crystal clear where this world is heading? The specifics are not important, because if it's something that is going to wipe us all out... well, it's over, no? But if it's anything else, I don't like the prospect of being 100% dependent like 99% of everyone else is, and I don't like the prospect of starving to death... thus I have my "toolbox" of food and other essentials, just in case.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:19 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
everything...including zombies, vampires and demonic posession...

in reality though right now my biggest concern would be economic downfall, the dollar is loosing its strength a little more every day and if other countries ever decided to call in repayment on the us debts...well hello 3rd world country...

as it stands right now im only in the beginning stages, of becomming more self dependant...and its not based on panic, more, like the above poster said...i want to know that if something were to happen, i can look after myself and my family...and in the meantime know that im bettering myself by learning new skills, growing my own food (no more pesticides ect) and generally reaping the rewards of a more natural and self aware lifestyle.

even if zombies never attack, at least if i can better myself when gas hits $5 a gallon (and in turn grocery prices sky rocket) i know i can at least look ater myself better...

Old 02-25-2011, 11:49 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,484,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
in reality though right now my biggest concern would be economic downfall, the dollar is loosing its strength a little more every day and if other countries ever decided to call in repayment on the us debts...well hello 3rd world country...
I think this is it in a nutshell.

Economic/political unrest resulting from lack of jobs, lack of savings, lack of government largess (that part is coming...). So many people think that this is just a normal (whatever that is) recession, one that we're already recovering from. I see no such evidence of "recovery".

Look at Egypt, Libya, Bahrain, Algeria, etc. These people cannot afford food any longer. We've already forgotten about the situation with the Eurozone, the riots in Greece of last summer, the situation with the PIIGS countries. We don't hear of them now, what with the mideast hogging the news. But the Euro problem is not over, either.

Those of us who had parents or grandparents who lived during the Great Depression feel stirrings...memories of something Grandpa may have said once, long ago. We fear the unknown, and the logical result of that fear is to want to prepare for hard times, depression times.

Will they come? I don't know. I suspect something evil this way comes. It costs me nothing to prepare, as I can always use the food, tools, and other items I've put aside. I hope I don't ever need them, but then, I've heard about "hope" before, and been led astray.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:47 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,959,017 times
Silver went to 33 dollars and 20 cnts...... Which means the value of a dollar bill dropped again. Which means the dollar is worth less than cents worth of silver.

I am old enough to have used some silver dollars, which were worth 100 copper cents.

This so called money we have today may as well be bought frm Parker bros Game people, the ones who brought us Monoply.

What this room seems to serve as is info on being more independant for most anything.

I am not particularly worried about any zombies myself. I worry a little about that dollar though.

I expect shortly we Americans won't afford foods too.

When silver was at 25 dollars per ounce, then it meant bread was worth about 78 bucks a loaf.

The Feds have screwed up the values of things to the point there is no level field for anything any more.

My plan is just like the feds plan I will just print more money as I need it just like the feds do now.

It's not as if there is any real money anymore. Hell, most people here have never once held real money. To have done so would mean you had to be born around 1930.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:53 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,168,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Criminials: break in, mugging, car jacking,etc.

Natural disaster: hurricane, tornado, etc..

Civil disorder: riot, work stoppage by government,etc.

Collapse of society: national bankruptcy, massive currency depreciation, war

Civil War: regional, cultural,racial, class

Other: Zombie attack?

I ask because I think it is interesting there is a this subforum and some of the thread titles.
Other than the zombies....I think we do live in a world where they could all happen within the same year. I don't think anyone could stop it, but it would be nice to have a family survival plan.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:02 PM

817 posts, read 2,188,454 times
I'm preparing to outlive the unprepared. And to live fairly well in my old age without any social security.

To be fair, I guess the perfect storm of doom that seems to be happening now wouldn't be crystal clear to people who only get their news from the MSM. The talking heads may mention that the dollar index has dropped to (x) and the Middle East is "fighting for Democracy!", but not many people realize what that means to America.

It took me 3 years of studying economic and financial forums to understand enough to see the writing that's on the wall now. I tried to warn some family members, who had a great chuckle over my craziness, I'm sure. They're starting to see it now though, but still won't do anything to prepare. The news says we're in a recovery, so everything should be fine soon!

Mac - lots of them have held real money. They just don't recognize it. We pick it out of our change and set it aside all the time.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:15 PM

Be Free, you pickin out pre 1964 coins? Been a long time since I found a silver coin anywhere.

I get my silver prices here
Silver, Silver Bar, Silver Bars, Silver Bullion, Gold and More - APMEX.com
No need to take my word for it

Silver costs so much now I can no longer afford to buy it to make Trade Silver. That pisses me off. I could buy it, but i doubt I could sell it. This is Trade Silver, a wearable money once in the USA.

To me it is proof the US Dollar is dead

Old 02-25-2011, 01:31 PM

817 posts, read 2,188,454 times
Those are nice.

Yep, pre-65 still shows up here and there. Seems like more lately. People must be raiding the piggy banks. Just the other day, DH picked up a nice flannel shirt at a thrift store for $1.75. The girl gave him a pre-65 quarter as change. I told him he should've asked her for change for a buck, but he didn't notice the date on it until later. Where there's one, there's usually more.

APMEX is where I buy from. Great service.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:36 PM

I forget what silver there is in 1965 coins of silver, but it isn't 90%. 64 is the last year of 90% American coins. Silver wasn't really money, it represented change for gold which was the only real money.

I still have a 1957 silver certificate, and a first non-sence note called 'United States Note' as worthless as a Fedral Reserve Note is today. The feds pulled quite the nasty little trick on 'We the People'. Seems as if the Feds are going to get their just desserts for that scam about now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness