Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:04 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,903,530 times

Advertisements

As I am on the OP's ignore list she probably won't read this but....

Move from any large impersonal urban area,especially in an area where the most basic of human needs is in very short supply(water.)

As to being afraid of rural areas,I don't really understand that logic.

Because there are fewer people,it is more dangerous?
As most of the danger comes from people,logically living AWAY from people would make you safer.

I would look to an area where I could buy a small property outright,taxes are low,where there is very little government intrusion and just live out my days.

Hey...that is kind of what we are doing now....

If you like gardening you could very easily raise almost all your own food(especially if you are vegetarian or eat very little meat) and have the satisfaction/security of knowing where your food came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 04:26 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,640,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
As I am on the OP's ignore list she probably won't read this but....

Move from any large impersonal urban area,especially in an area where the most basic of human needs is in very short supply(water.)

As to being afraid of rural areas,I don't really understand that logic.

Because there are fewer people,it is more dangerous?
As most of the danger comes from people,logically living AWAY from people would make you safer.

I would look to an area where I could buy a small property outright,taxes are low,where there is very little government intrusion and just live out my days.

Hey...that is kind of what we are doing now....

If you like gardening you could very easily raise almost all your own food(especially if you are vegetarian or eat very little meat) and have the satisfaction/security of knowing where your food came from.
In times of unrest it is not only growing the food you need, it is defending it that would be a problem.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
In times of unrest it is not only growing the food you need, it is defending it that would be a problem.
A problem,not necessarily.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:32 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,688,039 times
Quote:
A problem,not necessarily.

It certainly could be, unless you have enough people who stand watch over what you have 24/7.

People aren't like they were 70yrs ago. We have a society today of people who think they're entitled to what everyone else has.

One of the funniest/ eye opening posts I ever saw on here was someone who was from OH and wanted to take their Section 8 vouchers and live in Santa Monica, CA.

She was entitled because she was a vet and was a single mom.

I lived in CA for 20 yrs, I never lived that close to the ocean. Of course I paid my own way.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It certainly could be, unless you have enough people who stand watch over what you have 24/7.

People aren't like they were 70yrs ago. We have a society today of people who think they're entitled to what everyone else has.
Security measures can be taken when the time comes.

And the willingness to deal with threats.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:36 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,640,385 times
Quote:
Security measures can be taken when the time comes.

And the willingness to deal with threats.
Like what? Be more specific? I think without friends and family who are in numbers and have similar interests to protect you are screwed.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:15 AM

A secure home,an early warning system of some sort(living and/or electronic),the willingness to use firearms to protect your home.

The Pioneers who settled this area of NC faced an actual hostile enemy daily,and lived and survived.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:49 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,290,594 times
Default Joe is correct

Cops, dump truck drivers and 18 wheelers eat at safe places with inexpensive, good food. If you see them in an area, that area is usually safe.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:17 PM

8,001 posts, read 9,203,047 times
Misty,
Can't say anything about your town causing unhappiness, as I never lived there. But I can say something about what is contributing to your unhappiness...politics.
This is why people have always said not to discuss politics as it will just alienate you from that person if you disagree with them. Politics has become the bloodsport of the decade, and it is made worse with the internet and forums such as this site's Politics and Controversies forum.

I find if I spend too much time watching cable TV news or take the posts on the political forum as something more than mindless entertainment, it starts to affect me negatively. Constant bickering and nitpicking isn't healthy for you.

I hope you can find what you are looking for to make you happy.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:15 AM

817 posts, read 2,191,326 times
I think politics should be discussed first thing. I use it as a gauge to see whether I want to bother making friends with someone or not. If their beliefs are opposite of mine, we're almost sure to have practically nothing in common and I wouldn't like them much anyway. Avoiding them in the first place saves time and hard feelings later.

As to the OP's question about moving... you could put the house on the market and see if there's any nibbles. If not, you haven't really lost anything (so long as you don't build up too much hope).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness