Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 09:54 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times

Advertisements

Ok, it's not a 'Van down by the river'

But I just picked up the 4 runner I plan on sleeping in when I go play beach bum down in Key West for a few months.

(Side note, I've been a Combat Arms Marine for a long time, and I have a retirement check... I'll be fine living this way for a few months while I go to school online)

Now that THAT'S out the way...

I'm replacing all the hoses, belts, Spark plug wires etc...

This isn't about the vehicle, exactly, but about the 'add ons'

-Looking for a combo Cargo/Kayak carrier for the roof.

- Likely get my HAM license before then... It's got one of the mounts on the sidewall on the passenger side.

Interested in a Solar panel for the truck. (It has the sunroof)

Will heavy tint the rear windows.

I've got a 12 volt Fridge, Thermarest, camping stove, Ranger roll, an Enduro Motorcycle for the back... (Looking at mounts)

Might pick up a Hammock and a Cast net.

And then there's interior lighting...

Looking for any constructive thoughts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 11:14 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I've got a 12 volt Fridge,...
Those 12 volt coolers are battery killers. I would stick with a ice chest and ice blocks.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:58 PM

354 posts, read 1,281,882 times
Default A radio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
- Likely get my HAM license before then... It's got one of the mounts on the sidewall on the passenger side.
Getting an amature radio license sounds like a good idea. A dual band radio might be fun to play with. I wonder what your expectations are as to its utility. If nothing else it would be handy in case of emergencies and checking in with NOAA.

I was interested in rigging a dual battery setup that would allow you to charge the second battery for use by the radio when you aren't running the engine preserving your primary battery for vehicle operation. Monitoring doesn't draw much power while transmitting does much more so and might be something to consider.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher521 View Post
Getting an amature radio license sounds like a good idea. A dual band radio might be fun to play with. I wonder what your expectations are as to its utility. If nothing else it would be handy in case of emergencies and checking in with NOAA.

I was interested in rigging a dual battery setup that would allow you to charge the second battery for use by the radio when you aren't running the engine preserving your primary battery for vehicle operation. Monitoring doesn't draw much power while transmitting does much more so and might be something to consider.
Handheld in the Kayak mainly

I don't want to end up in Cuba!!!!!

Old 08-11-2011, 08:42 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Key West Oh boy........

That rig should do, but you might add in another battery, switched to be charging with the engine and isolated from the other battery at will, so on battery does the starting and running of the vehical and the other does ignition off duty. Most set ups like this can switch which battery is used for what on a whim.

Once and maybe still, there is/was a 'AB Switch' that did that. It was manual. Battery A was the oem battery, Battery B was the aftermaket battery. You could run battery A or battery B, or both AB.

If it were me I would pop the tail gate, take a few measurements and get a screen house tent you could back up to for more outdoor room. One with 2 zipper doors would be better.

Roof racks hand made of a decent hard wood and vanished could be a lot cheaper to make, and I have seen some very nice ones, and even made them with a nautical flair, some with self cleats cut out of the cross beams. You can custom notch these for a very good fit on a specific boat.

I don't know why a canoe will be lashed on upside down when kayaks are up right. I would make it so any roof mounted boats were upside down.

Lighting is all new to me these days with so many choices of LEDs types. If you don't choose something in that type, a type i have and use is a simple trouble light that just clips to a battery and has a long wire, ending on a fluorescent tube lamp. (low watts)

Maybe like these
Handheld Work Lights | Lighting | Northern Tool + Equipment

Old 08-11-2011, 08:55 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
You'll be hitting the tropics at the peak of hurricane season. Be sure to take good-quality wet weather gear and scout out shelter locations in the event that you have to evacuate the van. I'd be cautious about bringing along anything valuable, as you may lose it (if not from wind destruction or flooding, then from theft). Also bring along your own drinking water supply, and food that requires zero cooking - stuff like cold cereals, power bars, peanut butter and crackers, even some canned goods that you'd consider eating cold. It might be easier to pass the time if you bring along some books, walkman-type battery music players or iPod, and some bright battery-powered LED lights.

I recently bought 4 plastic trouble or work-type lights, 12 LED's each, running on 3 AA's and pumping out enough light to read or cook a meal. You'll need lighting like this. Also consider a good LED headlamp, plus a bright flashlight (tactical type) and/or a super-bright LED spot light to scare away any critters or humanoids who decide to check out your rig -- at 3 am.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:16 AM

OT: It's a real good idea there, to check all bedding, cloth and cardboards for scorpions. Man do they love that stuff.

Sulfer water is common there. If you end up with no choice, allow it to open air for as long as possible. The sulfer in time will gas out. It is good for you anyway, but it stinks bad for a yankee boy . Some people can suck it up and like it, but not me.

On that topic, quick dry shorts are a must have, and so is a shower bag.

roaming: Do not stab jellie fish when you go diving. I am not talking about Man of War jellies, as you sure won't stab any of them, but the common clear ones. These release toxins in the water once wounded, and you will leave the water fast if you do. My brother pulled that stunt, and paid hard. I was in the stream 20 feet away maybe and I felt it too.

Swim shoes are a must have too. There is lots of spiny things to step on and all of them will get you one hell of a infection. A basic diver rule is, If you don't know what it is, Don't touch it.

No doubt a swim mask will be on the list. That one will be drab and not have any chrome, unless you like the idea of a barricuda biting your face. If you see a shadow of one there is 2 more with it.

And don't screw around with eels! You don't even wanna know how i know this.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:54 PM

Little background:

I was TAD in the Keys for a while back on active duty, I am a Diver, And Although I grew up in Hurricane country, I'm not going to be there till January.

Oh, and I've worn a Surefire 6P on my belt for years, and I'll pick up a Fl CCW before I do this.

Not going to do the tent thing as I plan on doing the low profile thing as much as possible to save off the camping fees.
(there are showers on the beaches)

Old 08-11-2011, 03:02 PM

Oh I didn't know. A decent hammock if you can tollerate one, is a great way to go low. It opens up many places you can't lay down.

I can and do tollerate hammocks in 3 seasons well. I lash myself in it, and I can get real lazy hanging out over rocks or a brook bank.

The type I use is simple, and plain. I use a light fly tarp in rain or of rain is likey I tie it to the foot tree. The method i use is possible to set up the fy first in rain and hold it open with any 2 sticks, then set up the hammock and what ever bed roll will be used.

I have 7 sleeping bags just for me, my wife has 4, we both have bivey sacks and liners for sleeping bags. The liners do from 80 degrees to 115. You won't need much of a bag in Key West. More like rain protection, but not in Jan.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:06 PM

123 posts, read 297,333 times
park your car close to public bath room and shower area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness