Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 08:51 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,928 times

Advertisements

Really...
rather than be pessimistic with worries & thus living an "unhealthy" & "stressful" life...
one might be better off be "optimistic" & live life to the fullest like a dying drawing their last breathe hence appreciating every breath one draw & die without regrets.
(Even with prepping if your time is up, your time "is up"... so long as you have done your part at surviving, what else do you "owe" to your fellow species?)

I'd say, I kinda like the climate change even if it is a prelude of a mini Ice Age... it is cooler in the summer & warmer in the winter = a lighter electric bill for me... quite a plus.

A species that does not evolve to adapt to its environment & make what good the environment gives it will never survive for long... does it even deserve to survive then???
(Compare how long the dinosaurs / cockroaches precedes us as a species... we humans aren't even "born" as a baby yet.... )

Last edited by hueyeats; 02-07-2012 at 09:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 09:50 AM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
I think what it all boils down to is that we have too many people who understand what a "mean" is (mathematically/statistically) yet do not understand what a "standard error of the mean" is--too much emphaisis on central tendency and not enough on variability. An average without an accompanying measure of deviation is pretty much worthless.

Of course it's even worse when someone who does understand statistics downplays the role of variability/deviation, and worse still when they outright doctor the data. Yet, still we believe...

Old 02-08-2012, 01:45 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,945,917 times
I've always suspected that these past few years of "warming" and weather changes were just a prelude to a mini ice age because that concurs with the historical geological evidence. We have a huge Ice Age, things warm up a bit and we have a temperate period, things get a little too hot for a bit, we have a mini Ice Age, things warm up a bit and we have another temperate period, things get a little too hot for bit and then we might have another mini or major ice age. But in all respects, only the most severe of Ice Ages showed major impact on human population since we arrived on the scene. We've had several mini ice ages since the time of human recorded history, umm The Dark Ages were one, that showed a lot of folks dying of starvation because growing seasons were short and the weather didn't cooperate and dying of illness or hypothermia since they couldn't stay warm... a population decline but not a population ender.

I, for one, doubt that I'd much notice a mini ice age since I live in a polar region anyway. It would sort of be business as usual for me in that respect. It might get another 10 degrees colder average, and the summer season might lose a week or two on either end. But I'd still need to have the same insulated raised garden beds, fast-maturing cold tolerant crops, cold frames and greenhouse that I need today. My cabin is already built super-insulated with an efficient wood stove... the most I might have to do is put up insulated shutters on my windows in addition to insulated curtains.

But I will have to get cracking on increasing my RE power collectors since my poor petro generator probably wouldn't run so well if the winter days get longer and colder.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:13 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Global warming means abundance, increased animal and plant production, species creation. Global cooling means starvation, reduction in animal and plant populations, species extinction. Its called geologic history. There were not nearly as many deer in Wilmington Ohio when it was buried under 300 feet of glacial ice.

Humans can adapt but not cause or prevent global temperature changes, except, of course, by outlawing sun spots and volcano eruptions.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:36 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,687,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Global warming means abundance, increased animal and plant production, species creation. Global cooling means starvation, reduction in animal and plant populations, species extinction. Its called geologic history. There were not nearly as many deer in Wilmington Ohio when it was buried under 300 feet of glacial ice.

Humans can adapt but not cause or prevent global temperature changes, except, of course, by outlawing sun spots and volcano eruptions.
They could always pass more laws requiring countries, states, and individuals to use tax monies to support green "global cooling" companies that make solar reflective panels to aim at the polar regions, thereby warming them and heating up the world.

Why not? They did it for "green" global warming companies - and for just such brilliant ideas...To control the universe, all you have to do is pass enough laws and tax enough people! "Natural Law" and physics ain't got nuttin' on de power uv gubbermint!

Old 02-09-2012, 08:52 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,876 times
I don't know much about climate but I pay close attention to weather and historic lows and highs of cities throughout the century and past century. The shore of the mid-atlantic is just as warm and mild as the southern region, so the comment about the ocean controlling temperature makes sense to me. Seattle is quit north but still mild. The further inland in India, the more freezing temperatures the winters have. I do believe Greenland may become tropical in 50 or so years and if that polar shift happends, it would roughly put those living around 40degrees latitude in the least drastic condition. Is that true?

Old 02-09-2012, 09:01 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I don't know much about climate but I pay close attention to weather and historic lows and highs of cities throughout the century and past century. The shore of the mid-atlantic is just as warm and mild as the southern region, so the comment about the ocean controlling temperature makes sense to me. Seattle is quit north but still mild. The further inland in India, the more freezing temperatures the winters have. I do believe Greenland may become tropical in 50 or so years and if that polar shift happends, it would roughly put those living around 40degrees latitude in the least drastic condition. Is that true?

By Jove! Why did'nt the scientists think of that! Its the ocean. Too many hot babes swimming in the ocean has warmed it up and its gonna spread to Greenland. the poles are shifting into high gear. Before you know it we will all be like a bunch of lobsters in a pot of boiling water. OMG. Call Al Gore. He needs to rethink his plans for a 400,000 gallon hot tub for his mansion. Get out the sun block, momma, we are all going outside to fry.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:53 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
How do you explain this in relation to warming temperatures melting the polar regions? And warmer weather in winter in many parts that used to have real winters?
The south polar caps are growing. Many areas are experiencing very cold winters.
Growing Glaciers

Old 02-28-2012, 05:49 AM
Ode

298 posts, read 753,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Anthropogenic Global Warmists are alarmed for the wrong reasons - we are heading into a "Little Ice Age"

*snipped*

Summed up - our yellow dwarf star is a wee bit variable in its output, and due to the ocean, the immediate effect is delayed, but the end result of the decrease in total solar irradiance is chilling.

What will YOU do differently if global temperatures keep dropping, as predicted?
[] Migrate to the "Sunbelt"?
[] Build superinsulated shelter (for extremes at either range)?
[] Build enclosures for growing food in case the climate goes bonkers?
Any ice age, big or little, won't come on fast enough for me to have to worry about it in my lifetime. That sort of thing just happens much too slowly when compared to human life spans. A few degrees won't make much of a difference for us, considering our retirement plans. The ones who would have to worry about such an event would be future generations. And unless as a species we stagnate in development of new technology, they should be able to handle any changes. Look at the difference between how we live now and the lives of our ancestors just 1000 years ago.

The last time the human species lived with a real ice age was well before the invention of writing, and as a species we were still all hunter/gatherers. We've come a long way since then, and hopefully we'll continue to do so. I hate to think we'd wipe ourselves out entirely out of greed and stupidity, but given the way some folk act that is a possible outcome. So who knows, maybe it isn't anything we will ever have to worry about at all.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:44 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Global warming means abundance, increased animal and plant production, species creation. Global cooling means starvation, reduction in animal and plant populations, species extinction:
To the contrary....I read a scientific article last year (wish I could find it) that said something to the effect that global warming = global cooling. As the earth's atmosphere heats up with haze or particles, it blocks the sun more and more and results in an ice age. If someone has that info, please post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness