Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 04:00 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,163,440 times

Advertisements

I saw this last week while I was in Wally World. They had kits put together, one was a dinner kit and one was a breakfast kit. Each kit had four or five ten pound cans of dehydrated food.
They also had single cans of food and buckets of rice, flour etc in another aisle. Things like dried green peppers, dried milk, oats...the usual stuff. All the cans said the contents were good for ten years.

I can't remember the name of the maker, but it wasn't one of the big names like Mountain House or Backpacker's Pantry.

Has anyone bought any from WalMart? Are they any good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 06:53 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
They must just be selling it at certain Wal-marts, because I have yet to see it at ours, and it's a very large super center. I did see that they are selling food grade buckets at Lowe's and thought that was kind of weird.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:43 PM

593 posts, read 889,841 times
Walmart has been selling MountainHouse and Coleman deydrated food for three years . All I can say is break out your wallet as like we laugh at tourist traps and stores their effort is not silly, but aimed primarily at weekend campers. Walmart hasn't the vision of preparedness as a marketable section. When you are finally serious about purchasing emergency food think Food for Health ,Emergency Essentials and the ready store all on-line. I have purchased 1000 meals for about $350.00 from Food for health Why? they are the best food preparers with deoxygenated foiled bags (275 meals) 20 year + shelf life and nurtrition added . What was really shocking is the food is delicious. Anyway, all listed companies are good . Buying food at Walmart ,Sports Authority,Bass Sporting or Dicks is like insane as a meal is $3-4 bucks each X 275 = $825 ! . Avoid the $1000 packages also and just shop (suggest getting the catalogs)Don't forget water filters (Seychelle best (new ones filter radiation/anthrax) We have five 1 gallon Seychelle filters and extra back up cartriges as well as individual 1 pt.vesions.

Das

Old 03-22-2012, 11:36 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,163,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
They must just be selling it at certain Wal-marts, because I have yet to see it at ours, and it's a very large super center. I did see that they are selling food grade buckets at Lowe's and thought that was kind of weird.
The one I saw these in was a super center as well. They had it located in the candy aisle. Two large sections of shelves filled with these these cans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASULAR17
Walmart has been selling MountainHouse and Coleman deydrated food for three years . All I can say is break out your wallet as like we laugh at tourist traps and stores their effort is not silly, but aimed primarily at weekend campers. Walmart hasn't the vision of preparedness as a marketable section. When you are finally serious about purchasing emergency food think Food for Health ,Emergency Essentials and the ready store all on-line. I have purchased 1000 meals for about $350.00 from Food for health Why? they are the best food preparers with deoxygenated foiled bags (275 meals) 20 year + shelf life and nurtrition added . What was really shocking is the food is delicious. Anyway, all listed companies are good . Buying food at Walmart ,Sports Authority,Bass Sporting or Dicks is like insane as a meal is $3-4 bucks each X 275 = $825 ! . Avoid the $1000 packages also and just shop (suggest getting the catalogs)Don't forget water filters (Seychelle best (new ones filter radiation/anthrax) We have five 1 gallon Seychelle filters and extra back up cartriges as well as individual 1 pt.vesions.

Das
These were large cans, not the individual packages they sell in the camping area. The prices seemed reasonable too. Here's a site with a pic from a different WalMart. It looked the same here, just not as much.

BTW, thanks for the names of the places you've ordered from. I'll check them out.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:16 AM

Wow! looks like Walmart is launching emergency food after all perhaps at test markets ? Thanks for the FYI A year ago before Japan and all the disasters here in the US you could get the 275 meal bucket (Food For Health) for $89 free shipping and no membership required and now it's not available . Food for Health sells direct for $110 now and is having trouble delivering due to demand (2nd plant now running 24/7). Some of the products are available at the Jim Bakker Show (a partially dedicated survival ministry). FEMA reportedly spent millions recently stockiling emergency food and large convoys where reported by truckers in parts of the country where they were delivering tons of to storage facilities. I will be looking forward to Walmart supplying emergency food very exciting ,but I remain focused on eliminating the middle man by going to the source they use? Just a suggestion if feasable.

Das

Old 03-23-2012, 06:28 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
[quote=st33lcas3;23530878

BTW, thanks for the names of the places you've ordered from. I'll check them out. [/quote]

The "sticky" at the top of this forum has a lot of great links to dehydrated foods as well as other survival gear, etc. I like to call up several of the webpages and put them side by side to compare prices when I'm buying dehydrated foods - sales, etc can mean the difference in spending $200 to $300 for the same items. I also have a facility that is pretty close to us, which cuts down on shipping and decreases turnaround time. Just things to think about!

Old 03-23-2012, 07:35 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASULAR17 View Post
Wow! looks like Walmart is launching emergency food after all perhaps at test markets ? Thanks for the FYI A year ago before Japan and all the disasters here in the US you could get the 275 meal bucket (Food For Health) for $89 free shipping and no membership required and now it's not available . Food for Health sells direct for $110 now and is having trouble delivering due to demand (2nd plant now running 24/7). Some of the products are available at the Jim Bakker Show (a partially dedicated survival ministry). FEMA reportedly spent millions recently stockiling emergency food and large convoys where reported by truckers in parts of the country where they were delivering tons of to storage facilities. I will be looking forward to Walmart supplying emergency food very exciting ,but I remain focused on eliminating the middle man by going to the source they use? Just a suggestion if feasable.

Das
Do you have a link for Food For Health? Tried finding it but I don't think I'm getting to the right place. Thanks.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:55 AM

I just Googled " Food For Health" and the web popped up immediately? I haven't a clue what link problemyou have?
Good luck or try one of their competitiors. We just believe they are the best company for emergency food,ASAP
Silver Sol and other products.Thanks to all threaders for the vast amount of info you all have been a tremendous help!!

Das

Old 03-25-2012, 10:11 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
Food for Health link is foodforhealthinternational.com -- I checked them out, their emergency food selection is limited and prices comparable to other direct suppliers like Honeyville and Rainy Day (Walton Feed).

Sam's Club, owned by WalMart, has been selling emergency food from Augason Farms for a couple of years now. Evidently, that test market was successful enough that they've decided to test emergency food storage and essentials in their general merchandise stores as well -- maybe Augason Farms, maybe one or more of the other suppliers.

ETA: Seems that Sam's is now selling The Ready Project food storage kits as well. Neither brand or all items are available in the store at every location, but you can purchase them all for delivery from the website (unless you're in AK, HI or PR).

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 03-25-2012 at 10:29 PM..

Old 03-26-2012, 08:42 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
While I do not go out to specifically buy dehydrated foods...
I have been collecting dehydrated Veggie package (as well as seasoning package) from my Korean Ramen noodles for a good 10 years....
I have tons of them to put into "congee" porridge type food to make them last as an optional food basic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness