Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 07:41 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times

Advertisements

An even easier approach might be to just use plain old pine cones. I hear they are great fire starters and I have LOADS of them if anyone wants any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 02:20 PM

212 posts, read 320,485 times
I just don't see hardly anyone having all that sort of stuff when it's needed. I keep a few vasolined cotton balls in a CampMor, Inc matchcase (which is also a whistle and a compass) a lighter, a blastmatch, a magnifying glass, and a NuWick can-candle. Either the Blastmatch or the glass will suffice to light the candle, and then that dries out the "teepee" of fuzzsticks. The cottonballs are just insurance, in case of falling in cold water, in a rainstorm, with cold wind. :-) Actually, nobody can get a fire going fast enough to save themselves if such a thing happens. You need fires all around you, in seconds, and that's not feasible.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:46 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
I suspect the OP is unfamiliar with wood burning and is looking for suggestions on how to make every day firestarters (i.e. "nuggets" to replace/supplement tinder and kindling), not specifically emergency/survival fire-starting techniques. There is a difference.

I certainly don't use my magnesium firesteel and forest duff tinder to start the morning fire in my woodstove every day I mean, I could if I wanted to or if it was necessary, but it's a hassle when I have other easier options.

A lot of people are turning to wood heat as a sustainable and self-sufficient heat source, but they aren't familiar with stoves and fireplaces and all the little intricacies of their use. I lay a fire in my woodstove completely differently than my outdoor wood grill or the open firepit or a camping fire. Same basic principles, different application and execution due to air flow, heat retention, etc.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:20 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times

bushcraft tips&tricks: the modified tea-light candle (the mini-bushbuddy )... my way! - YouTube

Old 04-08-2012, 01:23 PM

12 posts, read 37,612 times
I just "bank" the fire at night, and it's normally still got hot coals in the morning. If it's not an emergency thing, why aint some light kindling would and spindled up newspaper adequate to get things going?

Old 04-11-2012, 04:05 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Whatever happened to cotton balls dipped in Vaseline and stuffed in a film container? That was the go-to solution for Boy Scouts. My son and I could start a fire with one cotton ball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness