Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 11:11 AM

37,500 posts, read 61,530,858 times

Advertisements

I saw our first eagle today.

Now they will be 'out' all summer, looking for when we start free ranging our poultry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 11:51 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,960,326 times
Yup, the raptors are finally starting to make a showing up here, too. The owls and ravens hang out all year round, but it's nice to see the hawks and falcons back from vacation. I know most people wouldn't consider a raven to be a danger to chickens, but our ravens are HUGE (avg 24" tall, 46-56" wingspan, up to 4 lbs) and are responsible for large percentage of aerial small/young livestock injuries and deaths around here. They are wicked smart and will figure out how to get into everything if motivated. I also spotted another Great Horned Owl nest with fluffy owlets in it on the "back 40" so we'll have to keep an eye on them since they are big enough to take a full grown chicken or duck. We also have several of the more common Boreal Owls, which aren't much threat to adolescent & older birds and rabbits, but will snatch up a hatchling if they can.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:03 PM

My great grandmother used to say you could tell a chicken's purpose by it's body shape... fat-bottomed squatters made good layers, and large-breasted uprights made good broilers. Dunno if that's true, but it's stuck with me

I do know that body style and posture usually works for picking ducks though. Horizontal ducks ( = ) are good for meat, uprights ( || ) are good layers, and slanted ( \\ ) are dual purpose.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:09 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,887,257 times
theres places in africa working with guinnea fowl that dye their white birds BRIGHT purple and it keeps the birds of prey off them...aparently works wonderfs for the free range guinneafowl...wonder if it would help keep the hawks and owls off chickens too...i mean obviosuly they look a little funny (its done with bird safe dyes) but if it works?! worth a shot right?!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:07 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,513,530 times
I don't have any evidence, but I'm pretty sure a hawk grabbed my Silky Roo (Mister) and my last Silky hen (Pepper), about a week ago. I failed to properly secure the door on their coop the night before and the rest of the hens in that coop will out that next morning. No "Mister", No "Pepper". :sadface:

Old 04-17-2012, 05:26 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,762,762 times
We have our bald eagles here year round.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:46 PM

When I lived in Anchorage, the bald eagles hung out all year; but here in the Interior most birds of prey except the ravens and owls seem to go on vacation in the winter. The grouse males are out calling for mates already, and it looks like we might have a bumper year for them by the sounds of it

Mottled/banded poultry seem to do better up here against predators in the summer, solids of any color are usually targeted more often by prey birds because they don't camo well. But in the winter, the buff and white birds are the safest if they're out in the snow on warm days. Most small animal species that don't change coat/feather color in winter don't normally hang around outside much and stay snugged up in their winter hideaways. I just bet a bright red buckeye would stand out like a beacon against snow.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:27 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,386,504 times
I ran Rhode Island Reds; I had seven originally, and after six years still had six laying almost year round. (Ft. Langley, B.C.)

The R.E.Reds "freeze" like rabbits when threatened. We used that habit to train them to be picked up as well. They also followed the cattle around like Rhino tick birds, eating the flushed insects popping up out of the grass. I highly recommend them, but never ate them. They are dinosaurs, you know!

I had a banty rooster given to me, and he'd position himself up in a small tree and do lookout all day.

I did have laying mash in front of them and would alternate an open door on the coop every odd day. My big red coyote out back never seemed to figure out what the pattern was!
The eggs got so big after a few years that we couldn't close the egg containers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness