Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 06:36 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgarfield View Post
I fear that our acting on impulse and not thinking things over have really brought us down to a degree. Such things worry me........ and I don't believe in this whole gobbledygook on the end of the world....... the film Knowing is a case in point.
Financial apocalypse for doomsday believers - Video - Personal Finance

That was more religious nutjobery then anything but it is an example of doing dumb things due to a belief about the end of the world coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 11:38 PM

14 posts, read 26,633 times
You know this is the type of thread I love to read. People getting all riled up and passionate about something. While I agree the world is filled with fanatics ( real kooks) , these are people who are usually high strung , or have an undiagnosed psychiatric problem. Not always their fault. but never the less dangerous. Some of this is undoubtedly the result of way too much bad news and government cut backs in mental health services. Having said that I am no fan of these cult "Christians" but I have friends who do consider them selves "Christians " And No they are not all like that. In fact quite the opposite actually. They all have responsible jobs and many own their own business. Yes they DO think that they will be whisked away(raptured ) I don't agree and they know it. So they let it go and we continue our friendship. Me personally I could not care less what people believe as long as they respect my choice not to hear about it.
And atheists don't bother me either once again as long as they respect that I do not have to agree.
It is the fanatics and militants on both sides that I cannot stand. About the word REASON. Oh I am beginning to so hate that word. It has completely lost it's real meaning. The word REASONABLE sounds a lot better. People that are reasonable have respect for others and should expect the same . In a world of true reason we all get along and agree to disagree.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:36 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
I see I am very late......

The Brits only need worry about the Queen mother upsetting her plug. That would sink England.

I wrote more but deleted it all..... I did because no one knows what will come in any futures.

Preps are only as good as is the time. The time is for getting to see a next year/ season..... One can only prep so far, before either work or skills must replace preps. Preps are unsustainable.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:35 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,234,238 times
Quote:
One can only prep so far, before either work or skills must replace preps. Preps are unsustainable.
I completely agree. More importantly, it's impossible to truly "prep" for all of the apocalypse scenarios people have come up with.
Developing work and skills are universally your best bet.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
I completely agree. More importantly, it's impossible to truly "prep" for all of the apocalypse scenarios people have come up with.
Developing work and skills are universally your best bet.
And not everyone will win the bet.... it all depends on what the bet is..... if the bet is Yellow Stone, there will be a lot of losers Earth round.. While that event would not hit me directly, I can't deal with no sun for 5 years!

If the bet is cash dollars fail, and take Law with it, then I could deal with that fairly easy.... Work and skills would bail me out.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:58 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,234,238 times
Quote:
if the bet is Yellow Stone, there will be a lot of losers Earth round.. While that event would not hit me directly, I can't deal with no sun for 5 years!
In which case, it doesn't matter what your skills, savings or how many five gallon buckets of rice you have in your basement, you aren't going to make it... There's really no bet to be made in that one.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:37 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post

The Brits only need worry about the Queen mother upsetting her plug. That would sink England.

I wrote more but deleted it all..... I did because no one knows what will come in any futures.

Preps are only as good as is the time. The time is for getting to see a next year/ season..... One can only prep so far, before either work or skills must replace preps. Preps are unsustainable.

Mac, the Queen Mum died a few years back. She was well over 100 years of age so she lived a very long and had a very full life seeing everything from WW1 up to sending a rover to Mars. If you haven't seen the independent film "The King's Speech" it is a great movie which is based on real life (it's set in the 1930's and is about the Queen Mum and her Husband the future King George V; the father of the current Queen).

Last edited by Think4Yourself; 08-12-2012 at 12:52 PM..

Old 08-13-2012, 01:52 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post

What it is for is prevent you from standing in lines at 3AM until the good times come back again or give you time to overcome a few learning curves. I'd rather eat a sandwich while trying to figure out what to do with pine tree bark and cattail rhizomes.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:53 PM

994 posts, read 1,592,746 times
I knew someone would bring this up. America has a fascination with Apocalypse and doomsday for two main reasons.

One, many Americans tend to subscribe to beliefs and ideas that foster this way of thinking. You get the people who believe that their god is going to come down and start wreaking havoc on the world for who knows what and they have to hide in a bunker in some rural state to be safe. The funny thing is, more and more of the doomers are moving into the same area. I'd think that if there was a real SHTF moment that the doomer communities would probably start shooting at each other, or at least the ones that actually are trained and prepared to fight with each other.

The other reason which isn't discussed in the media is that people subscribe to doomsday because American society is disintegrating. It's been disintegrating for a very long time but the last couple of decades have made it obvious. Of course people won't talk about it since they still think Uncle Sam's a superpower. Every week you hear about someone going postal or some new scandal erupting in Washington/Wall Street. This isn't America falling apart, this IS America. Only now with people having access to more forms of media are we able to see what our neighbors are really like. Deep down inside many people probably feel like everything they've been told was BS, not just the doomer crowd. The 2000s and 2010s are probably a wakeup call for a lot of people. Why do you think society is so polarized now?

Old 08-14-2012, 12:53 PM

The Brits must of got another Queen Mum... i saw her on the news not long ago...

gwynedd, i have never once stood in any lines other than maybe ski lines. I have made decent bread of cambium bark from white pine. Salad from wee little plants in the northern rain forest known as New Hampshire. Some how we have misunderstood one another.

I also start fire with a bow drill, knap tool stone and own a pretty fair amount of 18th and 19th century wood working tools.

I hand sew clothing for my wife and myself too since you can't buy this look at walmart, and I went so far as to make the silver work and the paint. Most any pics I place here are items I made by hand....

Admittedly dated

I still stand by this remark.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness