Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 01:32 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I know this was from a couple of weeks ago but from what I heard the Chinese government passed new rules about how much equity developers and borrowers need to have in their projects back in China. This is an attempt by the central government to deflate China's property bubble by requiring builders and financiers to put more of their own money into projects plus they're requiring buyers to put more of a down payment (25%) as well as qualify for shorter loan periods (five years is max in China where as 30 year loans are normal in the US). That means people in China need a whole lot more cash to cover their obligations so they're selling off foreign investments (a huge chunk of which are in the US) to raise the cash to cover those debt obligations.

That said, most Chinese money is going to stay here simply because most of it is in the hands of either the Chinese government or Chinese government owned companies and they have no choice but to invest their dollars in the US or else the currency exchange rates will shift and that would result in the yuan rising and unemployment going up in China. Since there is no unemployment insurance or social safety net the last thing the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) wants is to see unemployment go up as that would cause social unrest. In short, they have to keep replowing the money they make from exports back into the US because if that's the only way they can maintain their fixed exchange rates.
Well I think Chinese tech like this might help their economy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 06:47 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,910,626 times
That's what happens when you don't have proper building regulations. I know Republicans love to claim they'd get rid of all regulations but they're ****ing idiots. The sort of stuff in the picture where hundred if not thousands become homeless or even get killed... That's entirely due to not having a good enough building code, I.E. enough regulation.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:35 AM

25,775 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
That's what happens when you don't have proper building regulations. I know Republicans love to claim they'd get rid of all regulations but they're ****ing idiots. The sort of stuff in the picture where hundred if not thousands become homeless or even get killed... That's entirely due to not having a good enough building code, I.E. enough regulation.
I don't recall anyone ever calling for removing all regulations. Just the stupid ones--the ones that have no bearing on safety and are simply there to increase corporation/government profits. And there ARE plenty of those in the IBCs/local building codes.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:52 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
LOL the Left to include the red commie left, are always challenged to stand things up. BTW that building was/is new and built in china.. it seems they don't know much about water and hydraulics which IS what brought that building down.

Also new wave engineers who never got their hands dirty, often have these problems because they only know paper if that, and may only know cad. A lot like Bill Clinton's EPA.

At least the red commie chinese don't have any problem with the rare pink and yellow spotted green salamander that has habitat of 3 square feet in a cesspool of an area which would stop any thing man would make.

Now IF the left could some how drive the right off the planet what would they have then besides taxes? Nothing. You would have taxes and no means to pay them.

But of course the left could always move into a building just like that one! I imagine the night time sky view must be impressive once you clean up the smog.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:25 AM

72 posts, read 77,777 times
bfd, just words on paper. being OLD words means nothing, in fact, it's more reason to blow it off.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:44 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,633,948 times
Quote:
Regulation should never be used instead of common sense.

By the way, codes change all the time and what was code in 2000 may now partially be considered unsafe. So a house is still standing, still for sale and ....?

When you start regulating EVERYTHING you end up with a society in which you cannot as much as fart without being sued.

OD

Old 10-19-2012, 10:08 AM

25,775 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
When you start regulating EVERYTHING you end up with a society in which you cannot as much as fart without being sued.

OD
Indeed. But most people can't seem to get that through their skulls.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:33 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,386,265 times
I'm just waiting for the slow motion scene of helicopters flying while the Doors play "This Is The End.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:30 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,732,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Regulation should never be used instead of common sense.

By the way, codes change all the time and what was code in 2000 may now partially be considered unsafe. So a house is still standing, still for sale and ....?

OD
Common sense is dead.
Over regulation and senseless codes have saved too many very stupid peoples lives allowing them to pollute the gene pool...

Old 10-19-2012, 07:00 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,364,433 times
I think there's nothing wrong with being prepared for a disaster. It's only prudent; for example, Mt. Rainier could erupt or liquefy most of its hillside with a slurry of acidic flows that turn a lot of it into mush. Think of the mountain as a giant creme brulee. Soil samples have shown that this has happened in the past, the most recent was around 500 years ago. This would likely wipe out large swaths of Seattle as we know it today. We're also in the Ring of Fire, though California and Japan and Indonesia seem to get the more powerful quakes, we could also get one too. Finally, there's a number of delicate rail and highway supply lines going into this area. Should both I-90 and US-2 be shut down, prices for everything go up a bit.

In my own home I usually keep two weeks worth of food around just in case. I also have fire ladders in both my upstairs bedrooms in case my wife or kids need to escape.

However, I do think "prepping" to an extreme is not healthy for one's psyche, or their finances. Nor is the situation likely to occur (that is, complete breakdown of society and lawlessness). Just as we've become dependent on technology, the better and more robust its become to single threats. As such, it is extremely improbable that any one event or even a chain of events could bring down the whole thing. Short of total nuclear war or God bringing rapture, humanity and your local society will likely continue on. Prepping in an extreme case also is damaging to social cohesion.

Say they're right and society breaks down. Immediately you'd see new communities form because lets' face it, no single person or family can sustain themselves. People are a social animal. And I can guarantee you that if people learn that you isolated yourself while others formed communities and you tried to re-integrate, it'd be difficult at best, and you can betcha that they wouldn't take kindly to threats. So not only is prepping in an extreme sense bad for your finances and highly improbable to make a difference in the real world, but if the worst did inexplicably happen, it wouldn't do you much good, as a new social order would come about and isolationists don't make good neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness