Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 05:33 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,910,626 times

Advertisements

I recently saw this short video clip on the BBC and thought it was worth sharing. It makes some very good points though most of it is general background information.

BBC News - America's fascination with the apocalypse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 06:42 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,691,736 times
I've noticed a distinct tendency for people to not only prep for the Apocalypse, but to seem to actually look forward to it.
Many religions are talking pontifically about 'the last days', and while some are counting on some sort of Rapture to suck them out of their anger, despair, and poverty (thereby relieving them of the responsibility of caring for themselves and their families) others are preaching "the final war" and telling their adherents to be prepared to 'go to war for Jesus'.

The latter sort of proselytizing is actually a self-fulfilling prophecy; even if Jesus doesn't show up, these people are being prepped to kill for their god, and kept at a high level of fear, anxiety, and 'justifiable' emotional upset, so that they can be easily manipulated.

I've always asked these folks, "What if you're wrong? Churches and governments have been saying 'The end of the world is nigh!' for hundreds of years and for all sorts of reasons - what happens if it still doesn't come?" Here lately they have wanted to passionately argue the point and will not be dissuaded. It's pretty creepy to see the fanatical glaze in their eyes, or read their determined and angry, self-righteous posts. The scary part is that it isn't just the fanatical religions any more - it has permeated every strata, from the global warmists to the atheists.

Honestly, it is pretty pathetic that so many people think that they will be able to justify their lack of responsibility, their lack of reason, and their lack of planning, because they believe that some god, government, or even their own planet is going to destroy everything and leave them miraculously untouched. Nothing is going to save them from their self-imposed misery except reason, hard work, and planning, but they refuse to accept that; they are instead insisting that anything they do will be justified. It is the natural result of a frustrated, emotion-driven entitlement mindset, casually being manipulated to its own self-destruction (usually for the profit of others). This is also why I don't utterly discount reports of FEMA camps or massive stored-coffin sites - these fanatics (and their manipulators) are in every level of government as well...

And what happens when it doesn't happen? Will they be like my brother who joined a cult, ran up all of his credit and cards, sold everything and went to the desert because his preacher told them Jesus was coming - and who crept back to his home 2 years later, with nothing - insisting that they just had the dates wrong? Or will they become violent, thinking either that their god deserted them or that they have to bring on the Apocalypse themselves?

Avoid these lunatics of every stripe, if at all possible. As time passes and their god or hoped-for massive upheaval doesn't appear, they - instead of admitting their error and changing their lives - will only become more, not less, fanatical.

This is what happens ultimately when people make decisions based on emotion instead of reason.

Last edited by SCGranny; 08-03-2012 at 06:51 AM..

Old 08-03-2012, 03:50 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,374,196 times
Many forms modern Christianity in the US is nothing but a death cult. I can disprove their end time obsessions thoroughly, but its hard to convince a death cultist.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:18 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,235,389 times
Quote:
I've noticed a distinct tendency for people to not only prep for the Apocalypse, but to seem to actually look forward to it.
I've noticed the same. It seems to be an eagerly-awaited opportunity to winnow out the weak and undeserving.

Another board that I've frequented for about the same amount of time I've been on C-D, also has a Survival and Preparedness board, just like here. I've been blocked from that particular forum on the board.

I had noticed, and commented on the fact that it was a bit disturbing, that several people seemed to actually be calling others to arms. Literally.
These particular members were telling the group at large that we shouldn't be sheeple and we needed to arm and ready ourselves for the coming battle, when the government comes to disarm us and send us into holding camps. Worse, it was a daily onslaught of reasons why the US is disintegrating and subversive ways we should be taking it back. And the Bible was tangled up in the whole thing. Seriously. It wasn't sane, but the board moderators seemed OK with it.

More importantly, Christ said "Feed my sheep."
Not "be ready to blow them apart if society collapses."

Old 08-03-2012, 05:57 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,362,657 times
A lot of Americans now believe in an apocalyptic world and anti-capitalist Hollywood capitalizes on the trend.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:55 PM

8,050 posts, read 10,642,372 times
Those of us that are of a certain age, and that are paying attentiion, cannot help but bear witness to the assault on our rights, the pilferage of our country's wealth by a few priviliged people in power, the decline of our world status as a country, and the decline of our once grand and enviable culture over the past 3 decades or so.

It may not be the "apocolypse" in the Biblical sense, but it truly feels like the end of something that was once true, dignified, and assuring to many of us.

We see people being rewarded for their lack of responsibility, and their refusal to contribute to society, on the backs of those of us who are working hard and getting - exactly nowhere. It seems to be a Zero Sum Game to many working, tax paying Americans. And we are sick and tired of it.

God Helps Those Who Helps Themselves. It's an old line, but it's the truth as far as I'm concerned, and one that I am trying to pass along to my children. I'm not sure if American's are obsessed with the end of the world "as we know it" as much as they are obsessed with getting back the to "world as we once knew it". There is a difference.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:40 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,691,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
I've noticed the same. It seems to be an eagerly-awaited opportunity to winnow out the weak and undeserving.

Another board that I've frequented for about the same amount of time I've been on C-D, also has a Survival and Preparedness board, just like here. I've been blocked from that particular forum on the board.

I had noticed, and commented on the fact that it was a bit disturbing, that several people seemed to actually be calling others to arms. Literally.
These particular members were telling the group at large that we shouldn't be sheeple and we needed to arm and ready ourselves for the coming battle, when the government comes to disarm us and send us into holding camps. Worse, it was a daily onslaught of reasons why the US is disintegrating and subversive ways we should be taking it back. And the Bible was tangled up in the whole thing. Seriously. It wasn't sane, but the board moderators seemed OK with it.

More importantly, Christ said "Feed my sheep."
Not "be ready to blow them apart if society collapses."
What bugs me is - these people really and truly think that they will get to decide who is "weak and undeserving". The reality is that most of them will be herded into those camps, if they are not killed outright, and will turn Quisling on their own 'comrades in arms', especially if it means an extra loaf of bread or a little bit of power, even behind razor wire.

Most people who repetitively encourage others to practice whole scale aggression are cowards and traitors, talking endlessly but never prepared to actually do anything, if reality bites them a little too hard. I've been on a couple of boards like that before - and once they start that stuff, I back out and disappear. Fanatics of any stripe are not healthy, neither for themselves nor for anyone even remotely associated with them.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:01 PM

25,770 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Those of us that are of a certain age, and that are paying attentiion, cannot help but bear witness to the assault on our rights, the pilferage of our country's wealth by a few priviliged people in power, the decline of our world status as a country, and the decline of our once grand and enviable culture over the past 3 decades or so.

It may not be the "apocolypse" in the Biblical sense, but it truly feels like the end of something that was once true, dignified, and assuring to many of us.

We see people being rewarded for their lack of responsibility, and their refusal to contribute to society, on the backs of those of us who are working hard and getting - exactly nowhere. It seems to be a Zero Sum Game to many working, tax paying Americans. And we are sick and tired of it.

God Helps Those Who Helps Themselves. It's an old line, but it's the truth as far as I'm concerned, and one that I am trying to pass along to my children. I'm not sure if American's are obsessed with the end of the world "as we know it" as much as they are obsessed with getting back the to "world as we once knew it". There is a difference.
I think this is a legitimate attitude toward the whole thing.

Mine is a little different, but perhaps at least in the same ballpark (maybe). As far as I'm concerned, "The Apocalypse" started a long time ago and is ongoing. Of course, it may get much worse. I don't claim to have the magical ability to know what the future holds like so many in the world (and even on this thread) think they do.

Thing is, I just cannot relate to most of what our society has become. Not that I much care, because I just do my own little thing and I'm generally okay with that. Being an introvert and occupying largely an "internal world" has its advantages. But, yeah, there is not much of anything that appeals to me about where we are in history at this point, nor the apparent direction we are going. As I've said a million times, my strategy is simply to ignore it and extract myself from it as much as possible. Problem is, the powers that be seem to be making that harder and harder to do as time goes by, and society itself seems to demand conformity in thought, belief, philosophy, opinion, and even action, more and more and more.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:21 AM

8,050 posts, read 10,642,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I think this is a legitimate attitude toward the whole thing.

Thing is, I just cannot relate to most of what our society has become. Not that I much care, because I just do my own little thing and I'm generally okay with that. Being an introvert and occupying largely an "internal world" has its advantages. But, yeah, there is not much of anything that appeals to me about where we are in history at this point, nor the apparent direction we are going. As I've said a million times, my strategy is simply to ignore it and extract myself from it as much as possible. Problem is, the powers that be seem to be making that harder and harder to do as time goes by, and society itself seems to demand conformity in thought, belief, philosophy, opinion, and even action, more and more and more.
Well said.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:53 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,235,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
What bugs me is - these people really and truly think that they will get to decide who is "weak and undeserving".
Or not even necessarily decide, but the theory is always that they'll be those who get to survive. Because they're somehow more deserving and knowledgeable (through their preparations, of course) than the sheeple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
God Helps Those Who Helps Themselves. It's an old line, but it's the truth as far as I'm concerned, and one that I am trying to pass along to my children.
It is an old line.
For ten points, tell me where you find it in the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness