Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 06:50 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

40?

Orchards, veggie crops, livestock pasturing, woodlot, game habitat.

How much land do you feel comfortable with in trying to be Self-Sufficient?

When I was shopping for a place I bought 40+ acres, then my in-laws saw the prices and bought 100+ acres.

When saying that an area has cheap land, I am curious what prices we are discussing.

I see river frontage forest selling for $900/acre. Forest [no water access] for $350/acre. Forest with some peat-bog for $300/acre.

Taxes? We can compare taxes too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 07:32 AM

9 posts, read 8,521 times
I only need 2-4 acres. I am currently on 2.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG69 View Post
You can produce all of your food, heating fuel, and electricity from 4 acres of land? Wow, that is really good.

Again you stated that this land is cheap.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:29 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
As far as restrictions and regulations on foraging in the Northeast, It is not like there is a Ranger behind every tree. There is so much untended edgeland in that region that you could support yourself scavenging wild plants and seafood in the Bronx and no one would lift an eyebrow. Well, people might think you were weird, but...

Now, hunting on random land is another matter, gunfire brings attention, but there is plenty of good hunting land in the Northeast and the place is overpopulated with game animals. I know someone who regularly poached deer with bow in Yonkers which is 10-15 miles from midtown Manhattan. Good White Oak fed venison from America's largest metro area :-)
I can only speak for my state and area, but there really aren't the sort of restrictions on foraging people think exist in the East, in Vermont anyways. The biggest exception is wild ginseng, and there are restrictions there on public lands because it's been so over-harvested to the point of being threatened by commercial gatherers. But if a person has some land and wants ginseng they can encourage it to grow. You can harvest any common wild edibles on most public lands here (incl. the national forest, state wildlife management areas, and state forests) for personal use (but not for selling). All kinds of berries, fruits, nuts, wild onions, etc., and mushrooms if someone's into those. Anyplace near the Green Mountains here will put you close to the national forest and plenty of places to forage and hunt, and in Essex County in the Northeast Kingdom, there's public lands everywhere; a lot of timber company land with conservation and public access easements, just stay out of the way when there's logging, and then there's lots of state and federal (USFWS) lands there too. there are some entire towns or gores of public land there, and others that are nearly all public: Lewis, Avery's Gore and Warner's Grant have no residents and are almost entirely publicly accessible. Ferdinand, Warren's Gore and Averill are mostly publicly accessible. Gunfire doesn't attract much attention in the real rural parts of this state. I'd stay out of Chittenden County and quite a bit of Windham County though...

NH has the White Mountain National Forest and Maine has, well, lots of timber company land that's still accessible (i.e., Plum Creek lands). I don't know how long that will last there though. Quimby is buying up a lot (entire townships), posting it, and her and others are pushing for a national park which will put an end to free access and hunting. If they get a national or state forest or somesuch up there, it will remain as it is now. I don't see the timber and paper companies holding onto that land much longer though, it's not profitable anymore. They've been dumping their land holdings for years.

Now states like MA, CT, RI, NJ, MD, much of NY, most of the Southern states, those are very different. Very restrictive and as you move South, you run into the hunting lease issue. Contrary to common belief, I don't find most of the southeastern states to have particularly gun friendly laws, but I've perhaps been spoiled coming from Vermont...

Old 09-12-2012, 08:44 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG69 View Post
The only problem with this is, the smaller acreages cost more per acre.

You might find that you can get 10-15 or more acres for the same price as 2. You should be careful with this, and weigh all your options. Look at the 2-4 acre parcels, note the prices, and then look at some higher acreage parcels. You just might find something for less.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
The only problem with this is, the smaller acreages cost more per acre.

You might find that you can get 10-15 or more acres for the same price as 2. You should be careful with this, and weigh all your options. Look at the 2-4 acre parcels, note the prices, and then look at some higher acreage parcels. You just might find something for less.
Good point.

I have seen people wanting $20k to $30k for an acre; others wanting $30k for 40-acres; and still others wanting $35k for 100+ acres.

Price goes down a lot as parcel size goes up.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:32 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,685,123 times
To me... NEPA awesome!!!

Close to the Amish country of course is the best.
As they already live the "old ways" & even when SHTF, it will be just a "normal" everyday still for them.

Besides... with them around, "trade" is already established in the Amish ways.
Definitely smoothing the way for the "spoiled" modern folks to be able to adapt.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:43 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
I haven't seen any of these prices in the Northeast; 35k for 100+ acres what am I missing..

maybe South Texas along the border.. or Northern Utah.. but not the Northeastern US..

Old 09-18-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I haven't seen any of these prices in the Northeast; 35k for 100+ acres what am I missing..
Over 90% of Maine is forest. Each year even more land is put into forest.

Most of the old logging companies have left. Today a lot of land is traded back and forth between foresters / loggers, and speculative developers.

We bought our land FSBO, from a forester who had clear-cut the land. It was mostly re-grown when we made the purchases, though certainly not to the extent of being 'mature' [that will take many decades].

A huge massive amount of forest and river-frontage land is available in New England for $300 to $900 an acre price range.

One parcel adjacent to my land is held by a speculator, and currently listed on MLS. Realtor is asking 8X what the guy paid for it. That is how it goes when you bring in realtors. It has been on the market for over 5 years. Last week a couple stopped by asking me about that parcel. They had came up here from down South [Mass I think], we had a nice talk. I gave them numbers to call a few foresters who have parcels for sale.

Quote:
... maybe South Texas along the border.. or Northern Utah.. but not the Northeastern US..
Wasn't there a drought there in 2010?

... and a drought last year? [2011]

... and then again this year? [2012]

I seem to think I keep hearing about folks down there having droughts each year. Townships going dry, aquifer levels dropping, crops dying. Have you heard any of that in the News?

Drought-prone regions have droughts. Hard to grow crops with droughts.

Hard to live a 'Self-Sufficient' lifestyle in a drought-prone region. That is the title of this sub-forum, I think, 'Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness'.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:39 AM

746 posts, read 1,243,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yep, northern Maine. The only places east of the Mississippi that I would consider would be either northern Maine (Aroostook County) or UP Michigan.
My nephew lives up there has a farm and has been off the grid for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness