Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 10:22 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,979,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by preplikeme View Post
Every single person that I've tried to train has just called me nuts and a "conspiracy theorist" so I stopped.
I used to do a living history program in dress.

For years kids and school admin liked the programs and it was doing well and i was able to earn a fair amount from doing it. A lot of time was spent making things as you can't buy any in walmart.

I learned a lot of skills because there was no other way to get these items.

3 things basically stopped this.

1 was the advent of indoor electronics games which the young are addicted too, and during school hours no matter what you teach, all they want to be doing is thumb skill games. As a nation of people we have become too far removed from any reality of doing anything for ourselves.

Most people can't light a BBQ with out spiecal lighters, liquid fuel and charcoal that isn't charcoal at all.

2 Columbine and gun free zones. 0 Tolerance

3 the PC mind set where someone else will always come to the rescue. All you need to do is learn to look scared , wring your hands, and sooner of later someone will come to help. it doesn't matter if they are inept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 10:53 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,236,478 times
Quote:
Just like everything else, if it is their idea they will move heaven and earth to learn. If you try to teach them when they don't care or have little intrest, they want nothing to do with it.
Spinning off from that is that you need to pay attention to what they're actually asking to learn. Ie, if someone is asking how to plant a garden, don't talk gardening and then spin off into the fact that they need a gun turret on top of the house to fend off the marauding zombie hordes!!!

Just teach them how to garden.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:39 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,613,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Spinning off from that is that you need to pay attention to what they're actually asking to learn. Ie, if someone is asking how to plant a garden, don't talk gardening and then spin off into the fact that they need a gun turret on top of the house to fend off the marauding zombie hordes!!!

Just teach them how to garden.
The garden's a waste of time without the gun turret.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:01 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,236,478 times
lol

Old 04-12-2013, 07:36 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,589,919 times
Never know when you might have to protect your broccoli from the mutant zombie gophers

Old 04-14-2013, 09:15 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,276,388 times
Y'all don't have quad-mounted Ma Deuces defending your gardens? How y'all get anything to eat?

Old 04-15-2013, 12:15 AM

13,131 posts, read 21,021,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I wonder as well why people don't wish to hear about financial survival. It's not impossible, for example, that we could see a coordinated attack on the nation's banks. How do you ride that one out? What about a real dollar crisis?
That’s a great speech, but it said nothing. What is going to happen in your scenario of a "financial" event? I bet, when all the rhetoric is stripped away, you have the same issues that are common in many events. If a person is prepared for dealing with issues, does it matter what event triggered the issues? Worrying about a specific event and ignoring the items in that "FEMA" pamphlet, leaves you open to squished because you don't have the ability to survive the basics. So, once again, explain what preparing for a financial event means?

Old 04-15-2013, 12:41 AM

13,131 posts, read 21,021,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And you are speaking of the reality you have chosen to subject yourself to. As is the case with many posts such as yours, it's written from a view of "reality" through a specific lens.
It's their reality

Many people pick a reason to prepare. Normally that’s a great way to start. However, many times they jump from the initial reason to the item or desires. Instead of going from A-Z, they see something that swells their spirits. It could be a bunker, a cache of weapons, gold bars, or some other item they fixate on. They forget that some of the basics have not been addressed. You'll also be surprised how many times peppers get so wound up on how the end will play out, that when you ask them to explain the issues they will be dealing with under their expectation of an event, they keep skipping from the warning to the actual event they are preparing for.

It's not my reality, it's their reality, their lens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness