Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 11:40 AM

69 posts, read 84,499 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

As I get more and more secure in my preps, I think about those around me who are starting to wake up to the fact that they are not prepared for even the slightest emergency. I'd like to help them.

So my question to you guys is, have you ever taught others how to prepare? Have you ever went so far as teaching a group in a more formal setting (like a church meeting room) or have you just helped friends casually?

I'd be interested to know your experiences. I value your words of wisdom.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 11:46 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
My experience is that people aren't interested in advice and don't follow it when it is given.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:14 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times
There are a lot of people making a lot of money teaching classes like that.

In my case, I don't teach classes, but have had people come to me for information or to teach them how to do things like blacksmithing or how to choose and raise livestock/poultry, or how to do stonework or make root cellars or springhouses, or build homes/barns that kind of thing.

I do more self sufficent stuff than actual prepping, and people that I know understand that when they ask for advice, I am happy to give it to them.

Because prepping is kind of an underground thing, (most serious preppers keep their preps pretty quiet), but self sufficency is more open, I think it is easier to find someone to teach that from a practical perspective than prepping.

If you declare you are a prepper and start teaching classes in a formal setting, you run the risk of people knowing what you have, and that makes you a target in a disaster scenario.

Now that said, if you are teaching what the government approves for preps under FEMA or whatever, then the government isn't as worried about you, but the government looks at most preppers as dangerous seperatists.

Just be careful what you say and who you say it to.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post

Now that said, if you are teaching what the government approves for preps under FEMA or whatever, then the government isn't as worried about you, but the government looks at most preppers as dangerous seperatists.

Just be careful what you say and who you say it to.

Thanks for that MT. Yea, I'm more of an emergency preparedness gal - 3 days of water, food, etc. I have a deep interest in self-sufficiency though, as for me, it's just good ol' fashioned fun. I mean, who doesn't find it fun and interesting to make their own root beer?

Didn't know folks were making money on classes.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:22 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,957,812 times
In used to do a living history dog and pony show dressed in a character. I started fire by bow drill and flint and steel as a part of the show.

The last show i did was the day of the Columbine Co shooting and I was in NH. I worked by word of mouth only for advertising,m but created my own paper contract, because this was for hire as well as i didn't want to be shot down on public school steps by a wanna be hero cop.

That day someone paniced. I hadn't even heard the news, and yet i was greeted by 12 NH State Troopers, who stayed to protect everyone from me all day long.

I was a fool. I did the show as normal and other than the order I did being moved around because the cops said no weapons and no fire, in the end they even wanted to see.

The being the fool part means i should have quit and sued the SAU instead for breech of contract.

As for you what skill sets do you have that qualify you?

On a more personal note what good is being prepped for 3 days of the problem lasts 30?

Problems vary like cruise ships

Old 04-04-2013, 11:19 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepHappy View Post
Hi everyone,

As I get more and more secure in my preps, I think about those around me who are starting to wake up to the fact that they are not prepared for even the slightest emergency. I'd like to help them.

So my question to you guys is, have you ever taught others how to prepare? Have you ever went so far as teaching a group in a more formal setting (like a church meeting room) or have you just helped friends casually?

I'd be interested to know your experiences. I value your words of wisdom.

Thank you.
When I first started in the industry, education was the company's only focus. We taught true Survival Techniques to our clients based on their specific needs. The goal was to train them to survive not to live their life, but to survive and facilitate their own rescue. The clients were primarily air crews, remote utility crews, OEM staffs that had field response responsibilities, and even movie crews in isolated locations where a weather change can become deadly if unprepared.

Over the years it has expanded to include operations services and implementation services. However, education is still a key component of all three divisions.

With that said, I have found that in today's "prepping" environment, saying preparedness is like saying design; way too many differences, way too many opinions, and way to may categories. Unfortunately, they have all been merged and mugged into a umbrella of "Prepping" that neither address reality or is too end oriented to make it practical. As such, we seldom work with individuals or groups unless they are screened in advance for neutrality and openness.

If a person is held bent on the end of society at the hands of gun seizing, milk confiscating, drone using, money grabbing and fluoride injecting government agents, it’s near impossible to explain the need to have a boat because they are located in and have many time had their house flooded from the rains. They are happy with their basement bunker full of supplies they need to repel and survive a government take-over. They don’t want to hear that every 4 years the place floods and fills up everyone’s basement, that’s not in their plans so they resist the education. Not only that, often times they can’t imagine any education that doesn’t address this government take-over. So, they inject their concern into everything and reject any education that does not cover their imaginary priority. This has become such the norm when dealing with emergency preparedness education that the fringe elements have become so loud and pushy that people believe that is actually what emergency planning is all about.

Working with corporations or highly educated individuals/groups is where we concentrate because they don’t come laden down with preconceived notions of what the event will be they need to prepare for, they don’t react based on some blog someone wrote about Incas, Mynas, Be-Bop Comet or the 5th Street homeless. They have a concern and they see the concern through from intelligent analysis all the way to implementation. They develop their education, skills, equipment, and planning based on careful priority planning, not on a fantasy end and what to have to play that fantasy out.

If you read many of this forums board, you will see clear examples of the end equipment desires dictating the emergency they are preparing for. Although they may have the required supplies to face the disaster event they are fantasizing about, in the real world, I usually can spend 1 hour with them and show them a dozen reasons why they will be dead meat in the most likely situation they will face based on reality.

Last edited by Rabrrita; 04-04-2013 at 11:52 PM..

Old 04-05-2013, 12:54 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,595,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
When I first started in the industry, education was the company's only focus. We taught true Survival Techniques to our clients based on their specific needs. The goal was to train them to survive not to live their life, but to survive and facilitate their own rescue. The clients were primarily air crews, remote utility crews, OEM staffs that had field response responsibilities, and even movie crews in isolated locations where a weather change can become deadly if unprepared.

Over the years it has expanded to include operations services and implementation services. However, education is still a key component of all three divisions.

With that said, I have found that in today's "prepping" environment, saying preparedness is like saying design; way too many differences, way too many opinions, and way to may categories. Unfortunately, they have all been merged and mugged into a umbrella of "Prepping" that neither address reality or is too end oriented to make it practical. As such, we seldom work with individuals or groups unless they are screened in advance for neutrality and openness.

If a person is held bent on the end of society at the hands of gun seizing, milk confiscating, drone using, money grabbing and fluoride injecting government agents, it’s near impossible to explain the need to have a boat because they are located in and have many time had their house flooded from the rains. They are happy with their basement bunker full of supplies they need to repel and survive a government take-over. They don’t want to hear that every 4 years the place floods and fills up everyone’s basement, that’s not in their plans so they resist the education. Not only that, often times they can’t imagine any education that doesn’t address this government take-over. So, they inject their concern into everything and reject any education that does not cover their imaginary priority. This has become such the norm when dealing with emergency preparedness education that the fringe elements have become so loud and pushy that people believe that is actually what emergency planning is all about.

Working with corporations or highly educated individuals/groups is where we concentrate because they don’t come laden down with preconceived notions of what the event will be they need to prepare for, they don’t react based on some blog someone wrote about Incas, Mynas, Be-Bop Comet or the 5th Street homeless. They have a concern and they see the concern through from intelligent analysis all the way to implementation. They develop their education, skills, equipment, and planning based on careful priority planning, not on a fantasy end and what to have to play that fantasy out.

If you read many of this forums board, you will see clear examples of the end equipment desires dictating the emergency they are preparing for. Although they may have the required supplies to face the disaster event they are fantasizing about, in the real world, I usually can spend 1 hour with them and show them a dozen reasons why they will be dead meat in the most likely situation they will face based on reality.
You're as unrealistic as Mircea. He sees only the cataclysmic; you see only the temporary and easily survivable for anyone. Neither of you sees the obvious which is financial difficulties leading to temporary but repetitive societal malfunction. He sees himself as the leader of the raiders after the collapse; you can't conceive of anything remotely approaching a collapse. Apparently you believe that governments and special interest groups are all benign. What do you have to teach anyone? What that individual can learn from a Fema pamphlet or a mountaineering book for the rankest beginners? What the OP thinks she can teach them about having enough food for three days? How many peoplle don't have enough food for three days?

Read some history from ancient to recent; learn to prepare for the likely first, then the possible.

Why does almost everyone here need to impress? No one knows you. I love to see the few posts appearing these days where someone doesn't rattle off a list of talents and accomplishments but rather explains what he did and how he did it as that may help someone else learn.

I wonder as well why people don't wish to hear about financial survival. It's not impossible, for example, that we could see a coordinated attack on the nation's banks. How do you ride that one out? What about a real dollar crisis?

What about location? Some large areas are already untenable? What will Chicago and similar places be like this summer? Why haven't you learned to earn a living just as good in a safe place?

The list goes on and on but people would rather just toot their own horns.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:00 AM

25,690 posts, read 18,777,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I usually can spend 1 hour with them and show them a dozen reasons why they will be dead meat in the most likely situation they will face based on reality.
And you are speaking of the reality you have chosen to subject yourself to. As is the case with many posts such as yours, it's written from a view of "reality" through a specific lens. The "reality" of Chicago, or NYC, or LA, is not the "reality" of 30 miles outside of Bison, South Dakota.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:06 PM

I think it's time I took my exit from this board. I know, 'don't let the door hit you in the arse', and so forth. But my gosh golly jeepers, the attacks and paranoia here are just plain weird.

I've tried to hang with it, but because I'm not braced for the government to declare martial law and take all my crap, I'm derided. I'm just a normal woman who believes in being prepared for an emergency. What's so wrong with that?

And yes Happy in Wyoming, I may indeed have some things to teach. You don't know me.

Thank you for all your opinions and your time. I've certainly learned a lot.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:45 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times
Don't let it get to you PrepHappy.
Some folks just aren't happy unless they are miserable, or trying to make others as unhappy as they are. Others are jaded or have been burned so many times they can no longer look at anything without looking for the hook.

Just like prepping, everybody does it for their own reasons, and in their own way. Boards like this usually have some good information if you can just wade through the shortsighted tunnel visioned vitriol.

When you read some of the posts you just think to yourself, "that one should really leave the compound more often" and go on.

You post what you want, and the folks that actually want to help will. You just don't pay any attention to those that only want to bellyache and be miserable.

If you only go to boards where everybody is happy and helpful, well you wouldn't be on the internet then would you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness