Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 09:50 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times

Advertisements

So as I prepare to enter the work field i am just super stressed about two things. Number one, is being able to get up early.

And number two, when I hit the gym do I need a personal trainer with good cash flow? I weigh 135 and am 5'9 height. My dad is bulky and even though my girlfriend chose me not by my body type, but on my personality I can't shake the hate for my body image and wonder why I am so skinny. I gave up when I was 21 on getting there and now that I am 23 I am wondering will this be the year my body allows me to gain muscle? I just don't get why I am skinny. It seems every guy is at least somewhat more muscular and even my dad is way muscular! My mom's brothers are muscular too. Is personal training going to help me get to how I want to look or is that I need to eat foods that build testosterone?

I hate going to work and looking at the other guys and feeling less. I can't live this way the rest of my life. College was worse too because my college was rated as one of the fittest schools in the USA. GASP!

I am also worried too will my body hold out working a full week and going to the gym four times a week? I know some people think this sounds crazy, but i'd rather have muscle and have to worry about a rubber tire on the belly!

In high school, I did track and cross country and I think during track I had more muscle. But it wasn't until college I was so obsessed with my body image. I never did weight lifting because the football players were in there and are jerks.

And I never even thought about working out at a city gym during high school because I guess I didn't think about it.

Not only that, but I am just afraid my image is going to stop me from enjoying the things I like in life because of fear of seeing myself smaller than other guys. I almost get desperate sometimes to consider to find a steroid that is not as bad.

And gosh I hated the college gym. I had no friends to work out with and I felt weird with all the big guys working out and the frat guys and especially I avoided the locker rooms. Maybe this is payback for skipping the dorm life and getting used to having guys as room mates. I am kinda skipping that altogether >.<

I like working out, I like going out for dinner with my girlfriend, playing sports, going to the movies, bowling, and anything else but I am eaten alive by the thoughts of how I look to some times where I just can't go out.

So someone tell me it's possible to gain muscle and when it happens! Will live get better as I get older? Please give me a rubber tire lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 10:53 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,522 times
It makes me sad sometimes, to see how obsessed younger people today are with things like this. No doubt it really bothers you, that is obvious- but it's just the culture of the day, and it adds to the stress that you are already carrying, now that you are out of college and headed into the work world.

The best thing I could say, is go to the doctor- tell him/her your concerns. Ask if there is a special diet you should be on, maybe a supplement or something- ask what would bulk you up. But DON'T do the steroid thing- it's dangerous- (yes, I sound like a mom, yes, I have kids your age- and older-LOL).

I wish you luck- and I also hope that you can look in the mirror and be ok with yourself, just the way you are now- apparently, your girlfriend sees very good things in you, I hope that you can begin to see them in yourself, as well!

Old 07-27-2013, 10:54 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,522 times
Oh, P.S.- getting up early---- get the loudest, wind-up alarm clock you can find, and put it at least 10 feet from your bed. Trust me...you'll be up and across the room to turn it off even before you are fully awake- LOL

Old 07-28-2013, 08:21 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post

do I need a personal trainer with good cash flow?
No. You don't even need a gym membership (unless it is free). You can exercise 52 weeks a year for free (especially on the central coast there). Personal trainers are a waste of money and time.

You sound physically healthy and you should have your physician confirm that.

You have a girlfriend who likes you for the right reasons.

You have a job.

You have 99% of what makes someone happy.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:55 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Aside that this does not belong in the survival forum, I will give you a huge hint:

Unless you are gay, huge bulky gym muscles will do nothing for your love life. The ladies don't particularly like them.

I will tell you what the ladies like, they like a swimmer's body, which you can get by taking up competitive swimming. The slim cut look, like Michael Phelps. Big plus, swimming is fun as oppossed to weight lifting, which is terminally boring.

A martial artist's body looks good, too. Martial arts would give you a double whammy: muscle you up and boost your confidence.

You've got to work with what you've got. There are plenty of people out there really jealous of you because you can eat without getting fat. Teach yourself to hold your head high, pull your shoulders back and maybe even strut a little bit (not too much, humble is more attractive than vain, but confident is the most attractive of all). If you don't feel it, fake it.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:12 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Aside that this does not belong in the survival forum, I will give you a huge hint:

Unless you are gay, huge bulky gym muscles will do nothing for your love life. The ladies don't particularly like them.

I will tell you what the ladies like, they like a swimmer's body, which you can get by taking up competitive swimming. The slim cut look, like Michael Phelps. Big plus, swimming is fun as oppossed to weight lifting, which is terminally boring.

A martial artist's body looks good, too. Martial arts would give you a double whammy: muscle you up and boost your confidence.

You've got to work with what you've got. There are plenty of people out there really jealous of you because you can eat without getting fat. Teach yourself to hold your head high, pull your shoulders back and maybe even strut a little bit (not too much, humble is more attractive than vain, but confident is the most attractive of all). If you don't feel it, fake it.
Thank you that is great advice and finding a work out sport other than weight lifting is quiet possible! I do like swimming.

And it sucks because when I was in high school I got picked on for being skinny and that and society contributes to how I feel.

I always thought swimming is just another way to burn fat though? I guess if six months of weight lifting does nothing perhaps the pool is the way to go? Bigger arms is my biggest concern.

And thanks to the other posters for putting in happiness is not necessarily how you look. Unfortunately, it's just too hard for me to see that. I feel too much to want to look like other guys.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:38 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
You came to the survivalist subforum and have whined about what involves no one here. We work to increase wealth and prepare for adversity. No one picks on us ; we carry guns. I first slid a gun into my pocket when I was thirteen; it was a good feeling. Start carrying a gun; if that doesn't change you for the better there's zero hope for you.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:47 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,424,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
What is your goal weight, or goal body type?

I can tell you that I have a similar body type. I am 5'10. 137lbs currently and far from my goal. Went from 118-120 out of high school(I'm 27 now), but it's been an up and down battle and has taken time to build muscle. It's real hard when you work full time. Your best bet would've been in College, but you can definitely do it while working. As long as you set time for it during the week and don't miss your workouts. Eating right or eating enough is the important thing. I surely wouldn't recommend a massive amount of supplements since I don't believe in them myself, other than a protein shake. Go to your local nutrition/supplement store like GNC or something and talk to them. They may seem intimidating being bigger and more fit, but their job is to sell you good stuff. They won't look down on you, and if they do, that's when you walk out and find a respectable place. Same thing with the gym to an extent. I've never had an issue with people bothering me or intimidating me at the gym. Or at least not trying to. Most people at the gym have better things to do and are there to take care of themselves, not worry about you. If I ever got looks or someone judging me, I never noticed, because I like to stay focused too and not worry about other people's shz. I did however take pointers on different workouts other people did and how they did them, and tried new workouts.

Good rule of thumb I've read on bodybuilding forums and other online articles is to take in 1 to 1.5 grams of protein for every 1 lb of your body weight.

I don't think you need a personal trainer. You really don't need a gym either, but it helps since you have more available weights to diversify your routine and change it up every now and then.

I also have to reiterate what others have said, and that you have a lot going for you now, don't let image bring you down too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
prepare for adversity. No one picks on us ; we carry guns. I first slid a gun into my pocket when I was thirteen; it was a good feeling. Start carrying a gun; if that doesn't change you for the better there's zero hope for you.
Prepare for adversity with a gun? That's the cowards battle. I understand survival, and that you need it for survival, but when you're in a situation where the gun gets knocked out of your hand or you run out of ammo before being able to reload and have to defend yourself, being fit and/or having some form of fighting skills will greatly benefit you. Diversify your combat.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:10 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Prepare for adversity with a gun? That's the cowards battle. I understand survival, and that you need it for survival, but when you're in a situation where the gun gets knocked out of your hand or you run out of ammo before being able to reload and have to defend yourself, being fit and/or having some form of fighting skills will greatly benefit you. Diversify your combat.
This is not the Fashion and Beauty subforum. Your post indicates you know nothing about guns or survival.

I wish our moderator would move this silly thread.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:51 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,424,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
This is not the Fashion and Beauty subforum. Your post indicates you know nothing about guns or survival.

I wish our moderator would move this silly thread.
Never claimed to be an expert, hence why I'm in the forum in the first place reading topics.
But I know enough about survival to know that a man with a gun is not better off than a man with a gun who is fit. But what baffles me is why you even bring guns into a conversation regarding something completely different. If it's in the wrong forum, fine, spend your effort notifying a mod to move it rather than being completely useless to someone looking for help. Wrong forum thread will take care of itself. People who register for City Data need help, not useless bickering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness