Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 11:22 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,486,115 times

Advertisements

Evening all!

I've been perusing the threads in this forum for a while now, and over the years have contributed to... probably too many elsewhere, but there's a question that is seldom asked, let alone answered: What would have to happen before you wouldn't *want* to survive?

The most common attitude, in my experience, is something like: 'they'd' better not come on my property unless they're bulletproof (or like that), and charity/hospitality is looked upon with derision because most people believe that we'll have to live in a Rambo-style world. Maybe be will.

At present, I live on top (well, almost at the top) of a mountain in an extremely remote mountain region. We have no police here, no doctors (excepting myself), dentists, stores (of any kind), or anything else that most people equate with civilization. We do have a 'pony express' mail delivery system that brings mail twice a week to a trailer located approximately a half-hour's drive from the settlement (population 42) in which I live. Most people call it a ghost town, and I suppose it is, considering that we're spread about a bit. I imagine the mail delivery would cease abruptly at the first sign of trouble. We've gone without mail for weeks before when forest fires, floods, avalanches, and simply inclement weather made delivery difficult or impossible. I didn't hear one person complain.

What we do have here is an abundance of fish and wildlife, fresh water, forested area, edible and medicinal plants, syrup-producing trees and so on, so pretty much what one would expect in a wilderness area.

We have dial-up Internet service - when the phones are working, LOL (no cell service up here), and satellite service can be accessed by those who have the means to acquire it. (Not too many. I'm on dial-up, BTW.) If the grid goes down, or there's an EMP burst, well... the Internet will be history.

Most people, if not all people here have several rifles, chainsaws, fishing equipment, at least a canoe, and a variety of useful toys both powered (as in they need gas to run) and non powered. We have a decent compliment of peaceful old hippies who brew their own white lightening (AKA moonshine), a variety of wines, and who also grow (as well as root veggies) an impressive amount of marijuana.

Most up here are handymen, even if they're disabled - which many are in one way or another - and all know how to build shelters and fires, and how to hunt, fish, and 'fix things.' I don't remember one unpleasant domestic imbroglio taking place in the twenty years I've lived here.

We're also three driving hours away from the nearest small town. Walking here (from town, which is also 50 miles away from the next small town - in any direction) and arriving alive would be chancy - at best - especially if the ambitious pedestrian was hungry, unarmed, and clueless.

Sounds idyllic, doesn't it? Well, it is. It's peaceful, breathtakingly beautiful, and... did I mention peaceful?

Here's the thing though - I don't know *anyone* up here who wants to survive losing their kids (most of whom live in various cities because there's no work here). Several rely on medicine, which they usually get by mail, and some will not survive without it - and wouldn't care to try, so they say.

That's just up here.

While in the missionary field, I've talked to people all over the world, and not many want to 'bother' living if they lose their children and other loved ones due to war, pandemic, starvation, disease... you name it - the family is everything to most people everywhere on Earth.

Not many seem overly concerned with wealth, possessions, and 'stuff' like that, but after family, most people care about medical care (even just needed meds), and not having to live in fear - a biggie. Torture, rape, starvation, and dog-eat-dog daily living conditions... not many I've talked to even want to survive in a 'world' like that.

Fear and panic kill more people than all other diseases combined - a global pandemic notwithstanding.

What about you? What would it take for you to prefer to move on to the great hereafter? What kind of cataclysm would it take to make you want to bow out?

Love,

Mahrie.
P.S. I thought it only fair to tell you where my line in the sand is (not that I believe we mortals control our own destiny, as by the Grace of God I've already lived through many things I thought I couldn't bear). I've already buried a child, so I know that particular horror, and while I wouldn't be happy living with the knowledge that the rest of my (educated in prepping, but paying no attention to it) children had predeceased me, my personal 'wouldn't care anymore' situation would be - losing Darlin'.

Last edited by Mahrie; 09-06-2013 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: Adding a P.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 08:52 AM

25,775 posts, read 18,834,175 times
I would have to say a situation where I lived in complete subjugation and there was no hope of ever escaping from under the jackboot. For me, there is no point of living within someone else's yoke. If my time on this planet isn't mine, it certainly will not be anyone else's either.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:59 AM

1,093 posts, read 1,276,819 times
I SHTF, I will not survive. I need daily medication. Without it, I will die in about 2 weeks. I prep for friends and family. Some of them have jobs in places that will become dangerous if society breaks down. My home will become their means of survival. I can accept my death, if my friends and family survive. The survival of our species depends on the total number of survivors. Besides, if my family survives, my blood line survives (old fashioned, I know, but . . . . )

Old 09-08-2013, 06:37 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,950,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I would have to say a situation where I lived in complete subjugation and there was no hope of ever escaping from under the jackboot. For me, there is no point of living within someone else's yoke. If my time on this planet isn't mine, it certainly will not be anyone else's either.
+1

Also some situation where the only habitable places are jam-packed with people so you only have a tiny amount of personal space and never any quiet privacy. In a situation like that, I'd either off myself or find creative ways to reduce the population... it would literally drive me insane.

I don't know if I'd want to survive when all the plants and animals around me are dying with little hope for a recovery anytime soon. I can handle people dying, even ones I care about; but if the planet couldn't support trees and flowers and critters and such, it would be too bleak for me to maintain any will.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:48 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,805,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
(old fashioned, I know, but . . . . )
Old fashioned my foot. That's just a conscious statement of the same unconscious thought that we all have.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:49 AM

25,775 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Also some situation where the only habitable places are jam-packed with people so you only have a tiny amount of personal space and never any quiet privacy. ... it would literally drive me insane.
Yes, that would be another hell on earth situation. Completely intolerable for certain types of people (me included).

Old 09-08-2013, 07:50 AM

8,051 posts, read 10,642,372 times
I've seen on some of those "survival" shows those underground bunker type of things. Everything from buried buses to million dollar, underground condos.

I have extreme claustrophobia, and practially start hyperventilating just watching them. I have to have natural light and air.

I would not want to survive if it meant having to live out my life underground. Can't do it. To me, that's no life.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:49 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,950,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I've seen on some of those "survival" shows those underground bunker type of things. Everything from buried buses to million dollar, underground condos.

I have extreme claustrophobia, and practially start hyperventilating just watching them. I have to have natural light and air.

I would not want to survive if it meant having to live out my life underground. Can't do it. To me, that's no life.
I wouldn't necessarily have too much of an issue living underground, caves and such don't bother me. But I look at the plans for the survival bunkers for 4-100 people underground and I start to break out in hives (agoraphobia vs. claustrophobia).

I already live somewhere that isn't so hospitable outside for several months, so being cooped up is something I'm used to... as long as I could go outside/topside for short periods with the right gear I think I could manage it. If everything were "dead" for a few months, as long as there was promise of renewed life, I think I could manage that as well... I mean, it's cold enough here in the winter that even bacterial action stops, but it's all good to go again in the spring.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:23 AM

993 posts, read 1,561,689 times
Another abusive relationship. I'd consider it a major personal failure, and conclude that I'm just too mentally weak to bother living any longer.

But I don't see that happening anywhere in my cards, so no worries. From my own experiences I can say that we often surprise ourselves by the things we can will ourselves to survive. So, unless you've already experienced a particular horror, don't assume you couldn't beat it.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:09 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
If I had to kill for something to eat that would be it for me. I just can't kill animals. I wouldn't want to survive a catastrophic event to watch my loved ones and the planet slowly die. Quality over quantity for me thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness