Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 08:20 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,582,712 times

Advertisements

Being prepared is a step by step process.

1: location, what are your major threats? Hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, floods, power outages, or the population that you will contend with in the event of a disaster.

2: Who are you prepping for? Family, yourself, people with special medical or dietary needs, etc.

3: What resources do you have on hand? Generators, food, water, shelter, alternative ways to heat or cook, lighting sources, medicines, emergency training.

4: What do you need to reach the level where you feel comfortable, within your budget?

Some things you can "bug in" for, others may mean an evacuation. Do you have someplace you can go in an emergency? A friend or family several miles away that probably wouldn't be effected by something impacting your home.

Do you have the means to move if you have to? Can you move others? What will you do if the roads are blocked?
Can you make drinkable water? Do you know first aid? Do you keep a medical kit on hand?

If you look at it systematically, realistically, prepping isn't that hard, but you always have to be mindful that you want to do it as part of your life, so the money has to be there, so don't go buy a huge pile of stuff you can't use or don't know how to use.

Good luck!

Last edited by MTSilvertip; 06-23-2014 at 08:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 09:21 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Those are the Preppy Preppers that have dropped off, cleared up a lot of chatter off the boards as well.

Its like hunting forums. LOTS of people right before the season, during and right after. The other nine months. Zilch.

Wait for another event like Katrina, Sandy or a mega quake in Kalifornia. Then you see them light up again.

Or another Sandy Hook with the Loony ******* Anti-Gun fascists.

I have always been here, I just do not post each and every day, as I do not use a computer connection at home as I do not have one. I just go to the public library as I value my privacy.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:06 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,386,447 times
Interesting how things change.
Now days people who are thinking of ways to take care of themselves are the objects of ridicule.
This is an interesting video from 1951 - Duck and Cover - (nostalgia, anyone?) Other than saying duck and cover a thousand times, it also has an underlying theme if you listen for it: "You are responsible for your own well being as there won't always be someone there to save you."

How far we have come. Now people with that point of view are suspect in some circles; marginalized and ridiculed in others. How anyone believes "the authorities" or "the government" can save 320 million plus people is a mystery to me. Unicorns and pixie dust and kumbaya - oh my!

Just be a grown up. That's all. Protect your kids. Plan ahead. Think about something other than the tech toys and immediate gratification. That's really all "prepping" is. Popular culture has turned it into a joke along with our Constitutionally guaranteed right to protect and defend ourselves with tools that are great equalizers. That's all. And if you never need it, Cool. I hope you/we don't. You'll find most of this makes for great camping experiences.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:05 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Interesting how things change.
Now days people who are thinking of ways to take care of themselves are the objects of ridicule.
This is an interesting video from 1951 - Duck and Cover - (nostalgia, anyone?) Other than saying duck and cover a thousand times, it also has an underlying theme if you listen for it: "You are responsible for your own well being as there won't always be someone there to save you."

How far we have come. Now people with that point of view are suspect in some circles; marginalized and ridiculed in others. How anyone believes "the authorities" or "the government" can save 320 million plus people is a mystery to me. Unicorns and pixie dust and kumbaya - oh my!

Just be a grown up. That's all. Protect your kids. Plan ahead. Think about something other than the tech toys and immediate gratification. That's really all "prepping" is. Popular culture has turned it into a joke along with our Constitutionally guaranteed right to protect and defend ourselves with tools that are great equalizers. That's all. And if you never need it, Cool. I hope you/we don't. You'll find most of this makes for great camping experiences.
We've seeen how people respond to even minor disasters. They wait for the government. Of course, the government today loves this. They don't want self-reliant people; they want whining and begging cowards who are afraid to think and act for themselves.

I remember the bomb drills. I remember my parents' putting food and other supplies into a special basement room. We never talked about government help. We knew we'd be on our own.

Here's a great movie from fifty years ago. It's about an ordinary family caught in a nuclear war. They know that their survival is up to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSGEiXO5894

Old 06-26-2014, 10:51 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,075,578 times
Wait for The Walking Dead season to come out. They will appear out of no where

Old 06-26-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Wait for The Walking Dead season to come out. They will appear out of no where

we are talking about preppers, not people waiting for a zombie apocalypse, unlike the federal government.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:29 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
It is a time for discretion.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:11 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It is a time for discretion.
Even former President Carter fears snooping of electronic media and is using only paper mail. If it's electronic it's being monitored, including here.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Even former President Carter fears snooping of electronic media and is using only paper mail. If it's electronic it's being monitored, including here.

that is why when I use a computer, I either use my neighbors or the one at the public library.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:08 PM

8,047 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
It is like a competition to see who can pack more insults into one sentence these days, no?
I agree. Get's old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness