Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 08:17 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
With all this Ebola talk it is getting scary out there. The trouble is our president tells us one thing then the CDC tells us another and who do we believe? Is it transmitted through direct contact with fluids or is direct contact considered within 3 feet. Is it airborne or not? Has it actually made the jump to dogs?
There are too many questions with half answers. How did the nurse in Spain get it? How did the nurse here in the US get it if she was wearing protective gear? is it that contagious that shse may have been exposed by improperly removing her glove? Who knows and if "they" did know "we" would be the last to know.
The incubation period seems to be 21 days so imagine if this Ebola virus took off and folks were forced to stay in their homes for 30 days could you do it. Do you have enough supplies to lock your doors and not go out? Could you defend yourself if you had to? I know it is crazy a thought but who knows......

Hell yeah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 08:54 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
I have a swimming pool that I can boil water from. Ive never had to top it off, instead I have to drain it occasionally because of the rain. So Im covered on the most CRUCIAL of the body's needs. There are woods bordering my neighborhood that I can get firewood from. The food part will be the hardest as I haven't thought this one out. I suppose I could be on the safe said and stock up on canned food.

A rush on food supplies would actually be a problem for many right now because were approaching winter so you cant just go plant a bunch of food crops.

read up on whether or not you can drink chemical treated pool water and what you would need to do to make it safe to drink. I think it is fine for non consumption, but I do not think I would be drinking pool water anytime soon.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I have never read or heard anyone say, ''I regret that I was prepared.''

HiW, that really made me laugh. I do not think I have ever heard people that either.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:02 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
No.. I figure if its my time.. Im a minimalist and dont want all that clutter.. Ive got guns and figure I can trade my many bricks of .22lr if necessary...

Also have a katadyn pocket filter... looks like theyve almost doubled in price the last decade...

Old 10-15-2014, 09:17 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Food production is done in a cycle.

In early spring is maple sugaring, so we need to cook down and jar enough maple syrup now to last us until next April.

Then fiddleheads will be up for picking. So we will harvest enough to provide one meal each week for one year, until next spring's fiddlehead season. From harvest to harvest.

Then strawberries will be up, we will need to harvest and can just enough to last us until the next years strawberry season. Which really over-laps with manure hauling and spreading, sows dropping piglets, kidding and lambing.

then planting; ...

Then coppicing, ...

We harvest honey in it's season; mushrooms, apples, veggies, ...

Every fall is grain harvest: I get fifty 40-pound sacks of barley [a tonne], oats, corn and sunflower. Basically a years worth of grain. Then I cull chickens and turkeys, enough to can and last us until the next poultry culling season.

Hogs are processed late fall, every year, when it's cool, ...

You need enough jars, for each thing to last you from one harvest to the next harvest. One year worth.

Each thing in it's season. Each crop only needs to last us until the next harvesting season.

We like to 'put up' one year worth of each item, each year. Each thing in it's season, the seasons will still go by.

We dehydrate a few things.
We can a few [hot-water bath and pressure-cooker].
We salt corn some things.
We freeze somethings.
We freeze-dry some things.
It really depends on what the item is, and how we prefer to handle it.

Eat what you store, and store what you eat.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:30 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,098,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
read up on whether or not you can drink chemical treated pool water and what you would need to do to make it safe to drink. I think it is fine for non consumption, but I do not think I would be drinking pool water anytime soon.
I was wondering the same thing so I looked it up, and I could potentially drink it if I bought some kind of filter.

Drinking Swimming Pool Water in an Emergency

Old 10-15-2014, 09:34 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,098,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Food production is done in a cycle.

In early spring is maple sugaring, so we need to cook down and jar enough maple syrup now to last us until next April.

Then fiddleheads will be up for picking. So we will harvest enough to provide one meal each week for one year, until next spring's fiddlehead season. From harvest to harvest.

Then strawberries will be up, we will need to harvest and can just enough to last us until the next years strawberry season. Which really over-laps with manure hauling and spreading, sows dropping piglets, kidding and lambing.

then planting; ...

Then coppicing, ...

We harvest honey in it's season; mushrooms, apples, veggies, ...

Every fall is grain harvest: I get fifty 40-pound sacks of barley [a tonne], oats, corn and sunflower. Basically a years worth of grain. Then I cull chickens and turkeys, enough to can and last us until the next poultry culling season.

Hogs are processed late fall, every year, when it's cool, ...

You need enough jars, for each thing to last you from one harvest to the next harvest. One year worth.

Each thing in it's season. Each crop only needs to last us until the next harvesting season.

We like to 'put up' one year worth of each item, each year. Each thing in it's season, the seasons will still go by.

We dehydrate a few things.
We can a few [hot-water bath and pressure-cooker].
We salt corn some things.
We freeze somethings.
We freeze-dry some things.
It really depends on what the item is, and how we prefer to handle it.

Eat what you store, and store what you eat.

Submariner, I have no idea what you're talking about, but if the S ever HTF, I'm coming to your house 'cause it sounds like you got your act together.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:44 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Being in a major city of 7million could get a little crazy. I've slowly started stocking up and will continue.

Ordered a bunch of medical off of Amazon and started increasing the stock of ammo. Had not thought about it but read one of the best guns for an event is a 22 rifle. Lightweight and ammo was cheap.

About 90 miles south the family owns about 200 acres with about 20 cattle. Those pesky wild hogs might be a blessing someday.

Time to make a run and by a few more supplies.

What would be hard is telling friends and neighbors "Sorry".

Old 10-16-2014, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Being in a major city of 7million could get a little crazy. I've slowly started stocking up and will continue.

Ordered a bunch of medical off of Amazon and started increasing the stock of ammo. Had not thought about it but read one of the best guns for an event is a 22 rifle. Lightweight and ammo was cheap.

About 90 miles south the family owns about 200 acres with about 20 cattle. Those pesky wild hogs might be a blessing someday.

Time to make a run and by a few more supplies.

What would be hard is telling friends and neighbors "Sorry".

yes it will be very hard. if you stay in the city if SHTF, then stay very low profile and do not let anyone know you have food, water and supplies. otherwise you could find yourself the victim of a midnight raid on you and your abode by people that have not eaten in 2 weeks or so. when people start to starve, they will do desperate things to get a mouthful of food.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
hey flatbush! It's nice to see a 'neighbor'...

I have no idea how much water to keep on hand. I buy bottled water which we drink throughout the week so I really don't have any for emergencies on hand. IF there's a storm coming, I buy a lot of it.

There are really a lot of food kits available from different places. Walmarts sells the Auguson Farm brand 30 day kit for like $100. bucks and it's got a shelf life of 25yrs. Yeah, I know everybody hate's Walmart.. but, that's pretty cheap considering what you get and it looks tasty.
I don't know how much it is on the Augason Farms website. For all I know it may be cheaper. I'm sure Amazon has them too.

I'm really tempted to get it and hide it away just in case..... My husband would probably freak if he saw it though.

Purchase the Augson Farms Easy-To-Prepare Food pail for 30 Days at an always low price from Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

wise foods is not bad either, plus they allow you to pay as you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness