Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 12:29 PM

119 posts, read 207,582 times

Advertisements

MTSilvertip,thank you sir.Our handgun sales in the stores I manage are almost all semi-autos with some double action revolvers and almost no SA revolvers.I know NJ is very different from MT and in Nor'Eastah's local,ME,it's always good to have another perspective on what people use and why.In the day and age of polymer autos,its nice to see people still using some older technologies.Gunsite in the past(and might still to this day)ran a SA revolver class with self-defense as its chief objective. As in most things,it's not the arrow,it's the Indian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 01:12 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
I have both SA and DA weapons, I prefer the capacity of the DA over the SA for several reasons .
DA means I can keep the gun on target better between shots ,especially in a tense situation.
DA also are more efficient in removal of the spent shells and reloading ,even if one is replacing only a portion of the cylinder.
SA is a time consuming process of ramming each spent shell out and reloading.
This is not an efficient means of self defense, when split seconds count, IMO.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:49 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Yeah, I hear you Blue Collar, lots of folks these days want tacti-cool and high rate of fire to precision shooting, one shot/one kill. The last pistol I bought was a cap and ball revolver. It's easier to get ammo for these days than 22 shells, and it's a blast to shoot gophers with, and there's no registration or background checks on black powder.

I guess part of it is culture. My folks raised me not to waste anything, including ammunition, so you made sure of your first shot when hunting, plus, it honors the animal to make a clean kill, and the meat is better.

I've always lived a fairly self sufficient style of life, simple and effective is best, and being able to make my own so I don't have to depend on anybody else for my survival, so I taught myself to make bows and arrows, and how to use them.

I'm not alone out here, traditional black powder, long range precision buffalo rifles, cowboy shooting with SA revolvers and lever action rifles, and traditional recurves and longbow archery all have a lot of practitioners here.

Yeah, there are also the "spray and pray", send a lot of rounds downrange and hope you hit something types too, but if they want to pay for all that wasted lead, it's fine with me. Different strokes.

Still, it's a lot of fun for me to pack some jerky and cold flour in my possibles pouch, put on my homemade capote, take my powder horn and Kentucky flintlock long rifle, and go out into the High Lonesome on a Long Hunt, all by myself for a week or so. Nothing better.
Like stepping back in time to when the Mountain Men and Indians lived here.

Just a different place from New Jersey. Not better or worse, just different. All those styles of weapons out there have folks that buy them, or the manufactures wouldn't make them, and after all, variety is the very spice of life.

Old 12-26-2015, 02:11 PM

We have less and less hunters in NJ even though we have healthy deer an d black bear population.Those that do hunt are mostly looking for inlines,crossbows,etc,very little traditional hunting left.Our market is dominated by black rifles,polymer pistols and the mind-set that goes along with them.I do miss the old days where there seemed to be equal intrist in traditional black powder,wooden stock hunting rifles,along with more modern offerings.

Old 12-26-2015, 02:53 PM

It always goes in cycles. When I was selling firearms, the movie Quigley Down Under was big, and with the Sharps facility here in the state, we sold every Sharps rifle, any caliber, that we could lay our hands on. When Slick Willie Clinton put the ban on semi auto rifles, the price went through the roof, and it took about 2 minutes from one of those rifles, (pre-ban used), to come into the shop until it was sold.

We still have a lot of hunters here, and more women joining the sport ever year. It's a good thing.

I got out of the trade, but I still have friends in the trade, and since November 2008, the market has been insane with emphasis on military style arms. There will always be those that want the newest, the fastest, all the latest bells and whistles, but there will always be those that appreciate simplicity and using their skills to hunt instead of relying on the weapon to make up for their shortcomings.

It will change again when the threat is gone and folks go back to weapons of beauty and style. Hopefully soon because not being able to buy a 22 shell is a real pain in the buns. Not that I use a lot, it's just the idea.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:27 PM

I hope your right sir.Maybe the new movie,The Revenant will help rekindle some interest,in more traditional ways.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:36 PM

If it's a good movie it might. Jeremiah Johnson back in the 1970's sure did.

Society also has impact on people's perceptions, and right now there are folks coming here, some to be off grid or self sufficient homesteaders, some because they fear the collapse of civilization, some just want a return to simpler times when you knew and could trust your neighbors.

Kind of like this thread. Some folks, like me, love our old thumb busters, others prefer high rate of firepower and cool looking weapons.

Nice thing is, there's room for all of us here.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:37 PM

32 posts, read 23,334 times
I don't know how anyone can "think" this. The claim for Newman's fanning of an SA revolver so many times before a dropped item can hit the ground (much less hitting anything) is simply bs. The SA is a big handicap in a fight. How do you propose to get past the decade of horrific fighting that will follow shtf? Why would you think any game would last more than a month or 2? The depression almost wiped out game, and all people had was single shots and walking. With the gear we now have and with 100 million dogs and cats starving/hunting, the game will be gone, in very short order. Even if that's not true of your area, you'll still be better off with a fighting sidearm than an SA revolver. Any serious work best be done with the carbine, anyway.

The "combat" SA revolver classes, held by Clint Smith, et al, were just a way to take money from people dumb enough to "think' that cowboy action stuff is combat training. :-)

this is easily what you can be up against with your SAA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyIq9FdTgwM

Do you really wanna handicap yourself that badly? or would you rather some other sucker had the SA revolver and you had a modern gun?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0etoSfS7zLE

Top hands with autos can hit the 200 yd rams, regularly, from standing, with 1911's firiing the .460 Rowland, which outperforms .44 mag (in the same sized gun). A 6" barreled 1911 is the same 9.5" OAL as a .4" .44 mag and the .460 will deliver 250 grs at 1300 fps. The .44 will not exceed that, testing all chambers, with 240 grs.

The handgun that is most likely to be useful, for "survival" is a sound suppressed (integrally) Ruger .2245, 9.5" overall and 22 ozs, and grouping 2" at 25 yds, standing unsupported, using both hands to fire.

Last edited by siryevr; 12-28-2015 at 03:50 PM..

Old 12-28-2015, 04:05 PM

Who said anything about fanning? That's a waste of ammunition, similar to spray and pray from an auto. Hitting your target the first time, every time is the best defense. A wall of lead does no good if it doesn't hit anything, just ask all those cops who fired until they ran out of ammunition at point blank range, and never hit anything.

A suppressed 22...using a parabellum cartridge for accurately shooting 200 meters... a 45 auto having more power than a 44 mag out of a 6 inch barrel... something sounds awfully familiar about this "junior" poster.....

You haven't been sniping moose with brain shots at 200 yards with a suppressed 22 have you

Old 12-28-2015, 05:52 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Who said anything about fanning? That's a waste of ammunition, similar to spray and pray from an auto. Hitting your target the first time, every time is the best defense. A wall of lead does no good if it doesn't hit anything, just ask all those cops who fired until they ran out of ammunition at point blank range, and never hit anything.

A suppressed 22...using a parabellum cartridge for accurately shooting 200 meters... a 45 auto having more power than a 44 mag out of a 6 inch barrel... something sounds awfully familiar about this "junior" poster.....

You haven't been sniping moose with brain shots at 200 yards with a suppressed 22 have you
WELCOME BACK, GUNKID k:

John Newman used a slip gun; he didn't fan a gun. King Gun Works made slip hammers as well as other exotic hammers for the SA gunfighter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness