Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 06:10 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,088,814 times

Advertisements

Which is preferred for someone generally inexperienced?

Old 04-07-2012, 06:20 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,199,385 times
I'd recommend a semi-auto. Depending on what you get, parts may be easier to come by and you'll be able to shoot more for practice (ammunition for semi-autos is usually a fair bit cheaper and easier to find.)

Old 04-07-2012, 06:24 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,154,499 times
Semi-Auto.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:38 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
I've often heard people recommend revolvers for novices due to simplicity, but I don't buy it. If you can operate a Mr. Coffee coffeemaker, you can operate a semi-auto handgun. Neither is complcated. I lean towards the semi-auto but it is a fairly low priority issue. More important is getting the training and knowledge. In extreme circumstances the semi-auto platform has an undeniable advantage of more rounds and quicker reloading. The main advantage of the revolver relates to hunting--more caliber options, and better accuracy.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:54 PM

348 posts, read 266,543 times
In the past it was common to recommend a revolver for ease of use for a new shooter. The price of the ammunition nowadays kind of outweighs that at the current time. You also give up several other advantages gained with the semi auto platform. Some of which are firepower, less felt recoil, faster reloads, ease of repair and parts availabilty, as well as faster double taps and follow up shots. Most new shooters will shoot better on average with the semi auto as well. .38 Spl vs 9mm? Get the 9mm as the ammo is at least $5 to $6 per box cheaper and much easier to find.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampfireR View Post
In the past it was common to recommend a revolver for ease of use for a new shooter. The price of the ammunition nowadays kind of outweighs that at the current time. You also give up several other advantages gained with the semi auto platform. Some of which are firepower, less felt recoil, faster reloads, ease of repair and parts availabilty, as well as faster double taps and follow up shots. Most new shooters will shoot better on average with the semi auto as well. .38 Spl vs 9mm? Get the 9mm as the ammo is at least $5 to $6 per box cheaper and much easier to find.
My original interest was in the Beretta Nano 9mm then someone tried to steer me in a different direction claiming that when under pressure, for a novice, a revolver is less complex.

I'd gotten marksmanship in BMT but that was using an M-16 and what feels like a lifetime ago.

At home we have the .12 gauge for defense and I'm very experienced with this. However, I would not consider myself an expert by any means and this would be my first personally owned handgun.

I have concealed carry class April 28.

I am appreciative of everyone's insight.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:07 PM

Oh, and this may or may not mean anything - I am left handed, generally speaking although I do a lot of things right handed. But I don't necessarily consider myself ambidextrous. I'm probably right eye dominant.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:11 PM

348 posts, read 266,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
My original interest was in the Beretta Nano 9mm then someone tried to steer me in a different direction claiming that when under pressure, for a novice, a revolver is less complex.

I'd gotten marksmanship in BMT but that was using an M-16 and what feels like a lifetime ago.

At home we have the .12 gauge for defense and I'm very experienced with this. However, I would not consider myself an expert by any means and this would be my first personally owned handgun.

I am appreciative of everyone's insight.
I'm not fimilar with that model Beretta 9mm. Beretta is of high quality though. I only have experience with the 92FS/M9. That's a great weapon and shoots great. I'm glad to see others are on the same page as me for a semi auto. My recommendation is always a 9mm. I'm getting out of here before the flame wars start.

Last edited by CampfireR; 04-07-2012 at 08:29 PM..

Old 04-07-2012, 08:13 PM

751 posts, read 1,483,219 times
Quote:
Semi auto.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:49 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,008,095 times
Quote:
Oh, and this may or may not mean anything - I am left handed, generally speaking although I do a lot of things right handed. But I don't necessarily consider myself ambidextrous. I'm probably right eye dominant.
I am left handed as well, but right eye dominant. As a result I shoot as though I am right handed. This is something that you will want to make sure that you get right because if you are not shooting with your dominant eye, you'll never achieve your full potential.

As for your original question, everyone will answer differently. My wife is new to shooting and prefers the revolver. I like SA pistols, with a preference toward the 1911 model .45. Find on that you feel comfortable shooting, then become intimately familiar with it. If you take the time to train yourself on the weapon, it won't matter which one you choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting