Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 03:59 PM

26 posts, read 34,145 times

Advertisements

Five mile run, I didn't know anybody could run that far. It takes me 34 minutes to run half a mile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 07:17 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Agreed...and I have done the same. I totally skip the grains, maybe some hot oatmeal once in a great while. I predict that the Wranglerstar guy will go back to meat. That's what keeps me going!
Why are you skipping the grains? Are you "gluten sensitive"? If you think you are - get a test done and you will know if you can eat them or not. Only a small fraction of the population is sensitive.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:22 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Why are you skipping the grains? Are you "gluten sensitive"? If you think you are - get a test done and you will know if you can eat them or not. Only a small fraction of the population is sensitive.
No, I'm not sensitive to gluten. Grains tend to make me put on weight. Your mileage may vary. I'm 6'-2" and normally weigh 180-185. At one point I found myself well over 200 lbs...I didn't look "fat", but I certainly looked "mature"! That was enough, thank you. I cut out bread, cereal, muffins, hotcakes (mmmm, that one hurt!). I lost the extra pounds. I now eat a higher protein diet, plus veggies.

I'm down to 178!

Old 01-11-2015, 11:43 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,784,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I looked up Wartrace TN. We will be going down to TN next month to look for land there, probably a little west of you, in a rural area. A bit closer to the AL or MS border. Do you like the state?
Yes I love it here. Check into the Pulaski area to Savannah area if you want to be near MS. I hope you are bringing your own employment though- rural area with high unemployment rates.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:50 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,784,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman91919 View Post
There is some belief that the decline in smoking rates correlates to the increase in obesity rates.
I think people drinking soda pop all the time, eating junk food and having 160 channels on TV correlates more so than people quitting smoking. Go do to Wal-mart and observe what the FF (Fat Folks) are buying.

A couple of my neighbors seem like the "prepper/survivalist" types; they shoot almost every day. The whole family is obese. They are worried about "home invaders" or whatever but don't seem to be concerned about "Mr. Diabetes" or Mr. Heart Attack. They even ride the four wheeler to get the mail even though its only a couple hundred yards to the box.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:37 PM

2,182 posts, read 2,320,819 times
^roflmao

Old 01-11-2015, 02:53 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
As far as muscular, nothing to speak of with me. I'm pretty small-framed. But cardiovascular-ly speaking, I'm in pretty good shape. Not fat at under 150 pounds most of the time.

I must admit though, that one of the main reasons I get a lot of exercise (jogging, walking, hiking, etc) is so that I can eat as I like. I'm essentially a "grains person." That's the bulk of my diet. Love it. That and dairy. Far smaller amounts of vegetables, fruits, and meats. Life is too short to torture yourself with eating things you do not have a taste for.

I do not believe that grains (wheat, rice, barley, oats, spelt, rye, amaranth, quinoa, so on), breads, cereals, etc, are evil. I've never listened to fad diet proponents in my entire life. I laugh at how contradictory the "experts" have been over the years. My view (as far as eating) is that anything in excess is detrimental. You can die from too much water if you really try.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:21 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I cut the carbs and it did wonders for me. The diet isn't what many believe it to be (only eat meat). I just substituted vegetables for carbs. Instead of potato or rice with a meal I have three different veggies. I don't eat sweets, drink cola or put sugar in my coffee.
I'm not sure why so many people think carbs are bad. (HINT: They aren't). Carbs exist for a reason. In the morning, I eat a protein and a healthy carb, like a strawberry shake or fruit yogurt. Then I exercise. Lunchtime, I eat a complex carb, like rice, chicken, and brocolli. Dinner, a veggie, another protein, and tea. I go out to eat a couple of times a week. If I try to cut out the carbs completely I get vicious sugar cravings and just end up binging on candy or cake. A lot of people are just like me if they get rid of all carbs and their "carb free" diet plan backfires. Everything in moderation, even carbs, IMO.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:34 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I do not believe that grains (wheat, rice, barley, oats, spelt, rye, amaranth, quinoa, so on), breads, cereals, etc, are evil. I've never listened to fad diet proponents in my entire life. I laugh at how contradictory the "experts" have been over the years. My view (as far as eating) is that anything in excess is detrimental. You can die from too much water if you really try.
Grains are not bad. It is the processed crap that kills people. There is a VERY small portion of the population that has gluten sensitivity but with a few tests you can establish that for a fact. Far more people spend 3x the price for a gluten free processed product when they don't have to. Then they claim that they "feel better" or the "joints don't hurt anymore". Yeah right.

Basic rules of any diet: Stop eating 3 hours before bed. Eat a varied diet - veggies, meat, fruits, grains, everything - in moderation. Do not drink at night, esp. before bed. Do not drink 8 coffees a day, it is good for you but not after the 2nd cup. Do not binge on industrially processed s*it. Do not binge on sugar. So on and so on.

Acid reflux (GERD and LPR) are a disease that tens of millions of Americans suffer from. The amount of acid blockers and PPIs proscribed is staggering. It can all be cured by changing lifestyle and diet by the way. But you know how many times I have talked to someone who is drowning in mucus because the throat is swolen because they have LPR and they said they just had a Mountain Dew and in the same sentence they complained about their sh*tty Doctor who is upping their acid meds AGAIN? Well, genius, you got acid reflux because of the Mountain Dew....

Anyways, diabetes, most of the cardio vascular diseases, acid reflux. so on and so on - these are diseases of lazy and fat and people who have no clue about what a real diet really is.

Then someone comes along and blames oat bran and says I should have bacon and eggs instead. Why?

By the way, as anything else, many people take it to the extreme. I know a guy who has a desk job and sits all day but is on "paleo" has eats 4-6 eggs with bacon for breakfast, EVERY DAY. Duh, I see a ventilator and a stent in the not so far future...

Old 01-11-2015, 08:19 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarsonDavidly View Post
Five mile run, I didn't know anybody could run that far. It takes me 34 minutes to run half a mile.
1/2 mph?

I don't run, but I walk about 3.5-4 miles in one hour. I go for 5-6 miles. By then, the dog is tired and the poo bags are full!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness