Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 06:13 AM

5,408 posts, read 3,605,299 times

Advertisements

I get the same replies whatever forum I post it on, I just wanted to see if anyone here was different, shame really, but that's about the state of things these days, plenty talking about it, a lot of it very negative, but actually doing it ...nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 06:53 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,406,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
OK lets say SHTF tomorrow...are any of you lot any where near prepared ? or are you just talking about it?
Quote:
I get the same replies whatever forum I post it on, I just wanted to see if anyone here was different, shame really, but that's about the state of things these days, plenty talking about it, a lot of it very negative, but actually doing it ...nope.
When you ask an extremely generic question, you're going to get generic answers.

Then there's something called OPSEC. People aren't going to be comfortable posting in a public forum exactly what they have as that information is confidential.

Quote:
but actually doing it ...nope.
You don't think anyone is actually prepared for anything and people just talk about it? Go back to my previous statement about OPSEC. Smart people don't divulge much info on their level of preparedness.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
When you ask an extremely generic question, you're going to get generic answers.

Then there's something called OPSEC. People aren't going to be comfortable posting in a public forum exactly what they have as that information is confidential.

You don't think anyone is actually prepared for anything and people just talk about it? Go back to my previous statement about OPSEC. Smart people don't divulge much info on their level of preparedness.
if they were really concerned about OPSEC they wouldn't be on an open forum in the first place.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:09 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,406,623 times
Forums are appropriate for sharing information, not detailing who you are or how you're prepared. My family, neighbors and friends don't even know how I'm prepared. I sure as hell am not going to tell you.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:18 AM

why, unless you live down the street from me it dosent matter does it? no I wont tell my neighbours either. if everyone thinks like you nobody will ever discuss it so whats the point in even being here? that's a question I'm asking myself daily, maybe I just shouldn't waste my time!

Old 02-19-2015, 07:53 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,542,422 times
Quote:
so whats the point in even being here? that's a question I'm asking myself daily, maybe I just shouldn't waste my time!
This is the best thing you've said in this thread.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:06 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,426,624 times
Quote:
Ya think?? That is because the 'true' SHTFers are a small group of paranoid people and honestly, IF the poop ever DOES hit the fan, I don't care to be alive with the 'type' of peeps I have watched and followed on some of the groups for such. I'll be taking my cyanide pill and exiting stage left.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
Ya think?? That is because the 'true' SHTFers are a small group of paranoid people and honestly, IF the poop ever DOES hit the fan, I don't care to be alive with the 'type' of peeps I have watched and followed on some of the groups for such. I'll be taking my cyanide pill and exiting stage left.
lots of people think like that, makes no difference to me, will leave plenty of room for us that do want to survive. WHEN TSHTF I expect the suicide rate to sky rocket. I suppose that makes me a "true SHTFer" ! I thank you for the compliment as such I belong to a very small band of true believers.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:28 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,584,434 times
Quote:
So what answer were you looking for?

"Are you prepared" is kind of a yes or no question.

For the folks like me that live a self sufficent style life, it's what we do every day. My family has always lived this way, in fact, my uncles used to say that when the great depression hit in the 1930's, they didn't know about it until it was over as that was how they always lived.

Self sufficent people already generate their own power, grow or collect their foods, raise livestock, hunt, fish and trap for meat.

Many, like me, blacksmith or do cabinetry work, masonry or carpentry, can fix their own vehicles, know how to grow and harvest crops, butcher their own meat, can and smoke or salt to preserve.

They have root cellars and springhouses, they have wood or coal heating and cooking stoves, it's just the way we live 365.

Because of that, we live in a perpetual state of preparadness as you harvest your crops and have to preserve them until the next crop, or until the next calf is ready for butchering, or the next hunting season.

Its a way of life, not just having a bunker full of tacticool weapons and 10,000 MREs.

If you have a question about a specific scenario, or area of prep/survival/sufficency, it would be good to ask because a general yes or no question will get a general yes or no answer.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:39 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,751 times
Either you are living one depressing existence (by that, I mean your negative attitude toward others, it makes for a crappy life), or you are simply trolling to see who you can annoy. Neither of those is currently adding anything positive to the discussion here.

Instead of attempting to prove to yourself that you are the only true survivalist, why not start a discussion about some of the skills you have claimed in other threads to possess? Who knows, you might teach someone something, get to converse with folks over here who know similar things, and maybe even learn a thing or two! I assure you that you are not the lone true survivalist, and will further state that most people are survivalists, in that they will do whatever they can(including things that they themselves did not believe they could do) in order to survive. Personally, I live by a code, so I take steps to ensure that I do not have to violate that code to feed me and mine. Others' methods and motivations may vary, but not all are simply talkers, and you would do well to attempt to use this forum for the knowledge it can provide rather than simply another place to convince yourself(incorrectly) that you are the end-all survivalist. Try some honey. you'll catch more flies...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness