Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2015, 07:07 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
i do not mind debating, but the way you are coming off, it is as if you do not really care one that we prepare for our own reasons, even if you do not like them.
No, I am challenging your notion of probability of the events you are preparing for. You are the one who called people (in the cities) who do not prepare - sheep. I am the one who still says that most people will prepare for what is likely. If that was not the case and everyone prepared for "black swan" events - there would be no "black swan" events since everyone would be ready for them and these events would not be so interesting

Most people will prepare for what is likely in their area, barring the ones that are too poor and the ones that are too stupid (there are always those but they are NOT a majority).

I mean, I can understand someone living in Florida or Gulf Coast preparing for the aftermath of a hurricane. I can understand someone living in the North/North-East preparing for the aftermath of a blizzard or someone living in the Midwest/North preparing for the aftermath of an ice-storm. These have all happened and will happen again - hence preparing for them sounds pretty logical to me - these are hardly black swan events. and these days modern meteorology can predict them with at least a few days lead-in time However, even the extent of those preparations need not be large - enough water, food, blankets etc. for 4-7 days is most likely what is necessary. In the cities things get restored pretty quickly and apartments do tend to run smaller so you cannot normally dedicate much space to 30-days worth of supplies, not to mention that you can't really store gasoline or a generator or much propane in an apartment. If you are out in the country and far enough from services - you most likely already have a stocked pantry, a generator and sufficient fuel since you live far away from a city and shopping happens once a month - by definition you are prepared as a side-effect of your location and lifestyle (and no, you are not smarter than the "sheep" - you just don't have the convenience of being able to walk up to or drive up to the grocery store willy-nilly).

Last edited by LordyLordy; 02-22-2015 at 07:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
UNLIKELY? have you looked around the world recently? Ukraine, Syria, Iraq, Libya, Somalia,Israel. Somalia, ISIS, Taliband, Boko Haram, Al Quida, North Korea, Iran, Ebola, Bird flu, Swine flu, Blacks, Moslems, Eastern Europeans, and that's just off the top of my head.
You still haven't provided me with a disaster that happened to Britain that caused starvation and deaths from thirst. So, I think it is safe to assume it will not be a natural event any time soon. Now we are left with the man-made stuff like things you listed above. I see, so we ARE talking about paranoia induced by the mass media

"Blacks, Muslems, Eastern Europeans"? Sorry I have to laugh. I see now where you are coming from - sooner or later quite a few folks on this forum reveal their true inner motivations and they are not always the ones they initially portray (like natural disasters, self-sufficiency for the sake of independence or avoidance etc.)...

Old 02-22-2015, 07:22 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
OK - so you have lived to be poor and then able to provide for yourself. My father was born in 1943 into a family of 7 children that was extremely poor. He worked since he was 10 and when he turned 18 he went to college (the country paid for everything - it was free for everyone), then he got a job in the city. However, he never got over his obsession with going hungry from childhood, we had freezer-fulls of meat around.

However, he never got hungry again after he was a child and never had to reach for those freezers.
Many people who grew up during the Great Depression in this country suffered from this same syndrome. They saved everything "just in case". I think the epitome of this was that so many people in my generation grew up with parents who saved margarine and cool whip containers. My Dad and step-mom did much better. They also saved bread wrappers. When we cleaned out the house after my step-mom passed, I think we had one of those 13 gallon kitchen garbage bags full of bread wrappers ... and probably 2 filled with plastic containers and covers!

Old 02-22-2015, 07:38 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
You still haven't provided me with a disaster that happened to Britain that caused starvation and deaths from thirst. So, I think it is safe to assume it will not be a natural event any time soon. Now we are left with the man-made stuff like things you listed above. I see, so we ARE talking about paranoia induced by the mass media

"Blacks, Muslems, Eastern Europeans"? Sorry I have to laugh. I see now where you are coming from - sooner or later quite a few folks on this forum reveal their true inner motivations and they are not always the ones they initially portray (like natural disasters, self-sufficiency for the sake of independence or avoidance etc.)...
Pretty much.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:21 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
I know a lot of people do not believe in any form of "prepping", does make me wonder why such persons take part in a preparedness discussion on forums like this and others? I mean I don't believe in UFO's so I wouldn't take part in a forum related to that subject. no matter what "the unprepared" and unbelievers say I will continue to prepare for what is to come. I wont bother to take part in this forum anymore and I wish everyone of you the very best for whatever happens in the future. good bye.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I know a lot of people do not believe in any form of "prepping", does make me wonder why such persons take part in a preparedness discussion on forums like this and others? I mean I don't believe in UFO's so I wouldn't take part in a forum related to that subject. no matter what "the unprepared" and unbelievers say I will continue to prepare for what is to come. I wont bother to take part in this forum anymore and I wish everyone of you the very best for whatever happens in the future. good bye.
Well, good riddance. I suppose that if we participate on the same forum we are not allowed to question the whys and the whats - we are just supposed to all agree and pat each other on our collective backs.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:27 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordylordy View Post
well, good riddance. I suppose that if we participate on the same forum we are not allowed to question the whys and the whats - we are just supposed to all agree and pat each other on our collective backs.
troll.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
troll.
I will add that to the "sheep" and "stone wall" list. Note that I never called you any names - just questioned your motivations for calling other people names.

Also, here is a list of natural disasters that hit UK in the last many, many years:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...in_and_Ireland

A bad earthquake hit in 1884 - 5 deaths. Of course the plague in 1348, many, many deaths.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:54 AM

25,744 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
I know a lot of people do not believe in any form of "prepping", does make me wonder why such persons take part in a preparedness discussion on forums like this and others? I mean I don't believe in UFO's so I wouldn't take part in a forum related to that subject.
You'll find a lot of semi-regular "drive-by" posters here. It happens on other forums as well, though, so it's not unique. You'll find folks who couldn't care less about rural living on that forum. Folks who despise frugal living on that forum. You'll see folks who are anti-religious or do not care about religion on the religion forum. Folks who do not believe in the supernatural hanging out on that forum. Etc.

It makes no sense, but it happens anyway. Who knows what the motivation is. My opinion is that it is mainly to browbeat others, be obnoxious, and poke fun. Some unfulfilled, repressed tendency from "real life." The politics forum is a haven for such folks. But they spill out to other forums as well. You'll always have the guy that hates polo, has never played polo in his entire life or doesn't even know what it is, hanging out on the polo forum just to make waves and "discuss" the sport. Normal folks would not waste their free time discussing something they either do not care about, they know nothing about, or they dislike. Oh well.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
It makes no sense, but it happens anyway. Who knows what the motivation is. My opinion is that it is mainly to browbeat others, be obnoxious, and poke fun. Some unfulfilled, repressed tendency from "real life." The politics forum is a haven for such folks. But they spill out to other forums as well. You'll always have the guy that hates polo, has never played polo in his entire life or doesn't even know what it is, hanging out on the polo forum just to make waves and "discuss" the sport. Normal folks would not waste their free time discussing something they either do not care about, they know nothing about, or they dislike. Oh well.
OK.

Let;s talk facts. Show us what you have done in your garden, home, backyard - photos, descriptions etc. Let's discuss the practicalities of it since that's what you seem to want . Likewise, I can show you some of my stuff.

As for the polo - I know what happens in the horse racing industry, e.g. but I have NEVER jockeyed. I know enough about the industry to HATE it with passion for producing so many horses, many of which get thrown away the moment they cannot race anymore and make money for the owners. However, the typical American only knows the Kentucky Derby and poor Barbaro who broke his leg and had to be euthanized. Never mind the 100s of horses thrown away like garbage every year for not being able to compete but still being bred nevertheless. I see many of them first hand in the horse rescue I am a part of. According to you I would not have the right to say anything about the industry since I have not jockeyed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness