Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 09:04 PM

195 posts, read 186,401 times

Advertisements

A great many people have no idea how suicidal and homicidal a lot of people will get once there's no economy, no cops, no food, no fuel, no power, no water. That can happen very quickly, folks. If it happens to be slower, the people who were ready for "sudden" wont be any worse off. Those who "thought" it would be gradual will be "eaten alive" if it's sudden. So plan and prepare accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 03:21 AM

5,408 posts, read 3,605,299 times
I am sure that the "collapse" will be a slow one rather than a fast one. the trouble with that is although there will be lots of "stuff" left lying around for scavenging there will also be lots of survivors(initially) to use it all up.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:29 AM

no, there won't. there will be at least 90% dieoff, cause that's all that subsistence farming can support. Due to disease, incompetence and fighting, it's more likely to be over 99%. So no, there won't be lots of survivors, period, much less so many that they are using up the tools. :-) Few even know how to use basic agricultural tools anymore. You might, MIGHT have a lot of them who bother to hoard stuff that few have any need for

Old 03-10-2015, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadd View Post
no, there won't. there will be at least 90% dieoff, cause that's all that subsistence farming can support. Due to disease, incompetence and fighting, it's more likely to be over 99%. So no, there won't be lots of survivors, period, much less so many that they are using up the tools. :-) Few even know how to use basic agricultural tools anymore. You might, MIGHT have a lot of them who bother to hoard stuff that few have any need for
yes, I don't disagree with you but I've always said the die off will "eventually" be around 90-95%, but it may take a bit of time for it to get to those levels whilst those numbers are whittled down to sustainable levels.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:01 AM

how long does it take to starve to death? :-) a couple of months. not even 1% of the population has a year's supply of food cached (or ever will). crop failures (for large regions at a time) are commonplace, too. So, no, it wont be so slow to kill off huge numbers of people. Once there's no power for running tractors or providing transport of product, no accepted currency, no water for irrigation or prepping food, starvation will be so swift that people won't be able to believe that it's actually happening to them.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:45 AM

a human can live for 3 weeks without any food, 3 days with no water, after that death is inevitable its just a matter of time. how much food does the ordinary non prepper have in the house? 3-4 days maybe a week at most so we are looking at maybe a month before the dying starts, possibly a bit longer if some food can be scavenged.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:05 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,751 times
Guys, What you are talking about here is unprecedented in the history of man as far as we know. I find a sudden worldwide disaster that immediately cuts off all food, power and water supplies to be so improbable as to be a non-issue. Even causing such a thing in a country the size of the US is a tall order.

In addition, while I fully understand and agree that the vast majority of folks these days find it taxing to find their rear end with both hands, we must remember that humans at base are animals. They will do amazing things to survive. And not always do they eat one another, sometimes the amazing part is how a group of strangers pulled together to make it through a bad situation. Not near as common as the other way, but it does happen.

As far as people dying from starvation, I think, given a situation of the magnitude you guys are envisioning would see most dying from the effects of dirty water long before they died of starvation. Folks just don't have the stomach for untreated water anymore, in the more advanced places at least.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
Guys, What you are talking about here is unprecedented in the history of man as far as we know. I find a sudden worldwide disaster that immediately cuts off all food, power and water supplies to be so improbable as to be a non-issue. Even causing such a thing in a country the size of the US is a tall order.

In addition, while I fully understand and agree that the vast majority of folks these days find it taxing to find their rear end with both hands, we must remember that humans at base are animals. They will do amazing things to survive. And not always do they eat one another, sometimes the amazing part is how a group of strangers pulled together to make it through a bad situation. Not near as common as the other way, but it does happen.

As far as people dying from starvation, I think, given a situation of the magnitude you guys are envisioning would see most dying from the effects of dirty water long before they died of starvation. Folks just don't have the stomach for untreated water anymore, in the more advanced places at least.
it might be unprecedented within modern lifetimes but it has happened before, many civilisations have come and gone before and ours will be no different, droughts, floods, plagues, solar storms, changing weather patterns, wars, pestilence, disease/pandemics and any number of other things could cause a disaster of epic proportions. modern humans especially in western countries for the most part as you say "couldn't find their rear ends with both hands" and the panic in the streets will be something no one has ever seen before, much worse than 9/11, the Boston Bombings or Katrina put together. I find the idea that people will work together during such a disaster laughable, they are more likely to rob each other blind. you could be right about the dirty water though.

Last edited by bigpaul; 03-10-2015 at 08:50 AM..

Old 03-10-2015, 03:02 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

... I think an excellent "survivalist" technique is a good escape plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadd View Post
... except when the US falls there will be no safe place to run to. All other countries will collapse, too.
I do not agree with such an extreme apocalyptic event. Every country in the world will collapse, too??? I think you have an exaggerated idea of the US' importance in the world.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:45 PM

297 posts, read 358,932 times
It is public knowledge that after Katrina, the navy and army bigwigs gathered a bunch of folks and put together a bunch of SOP's for specific disasters that could happen in the US. Most of it is stuff like hurricanes and floods or really really big wild fires, east coast or west coast tsunamis, really severe droughts ect. But my Intel buddies talk about the big three. These are the top three that are considered possible and have really weak SOP's. EMP from a massive solar flare, nuclear/radiological disaster (mostly related to small dirty bombs simultaneously detonated in a dozen or more large US cities) and an asteroid/earth contact event.

Likely hood? Massive EMP? Happened before. Big asteroid hitting earth? Happened before as well. Terrorist bombings? Yup that too. No one has set off a nuke anywhere, thank god, but it could happen. Those are what I prep for.

Those and the ZA because then it gets fun!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness