Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2015, 05:31 AM

297 posts, read 358,787 times

Advertisements

i visited some friends in England for a week and buried a buddy in Scotland. One week in one place, three days in another and I am pretty sure we seriously outnumber yall in terms of stupid people. And not just sheer volume, I'm talking per capita.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 07:00 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoastnavy View Post
i visited some friends in England for a week and buried a buddy in Scotland. One week in one place, three days in another and I am pretty sure we seriously outnumber yall in terms of stupid people. And not just sheer volume, I'm talking per capita.
I wont argue with you over who's got the most stupid, lets just say there is a lot of "stupid" about wherever we live

Old 03-01-2015, 12:49 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,259 times
Quote:
Come on, now, you are simply the victim of a bad batch sample. Anybody who lives in California is bound to think all of America is full of idiots, when they spend their days surrounded by an inordinate percentage of them. We won;t have residents of the Land of Fruits and Nuts denigrating the rest of us like that.

Of course, Walmart brings a little California to places all over the US...

Old 03-01-2015, 05:41 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
Come on, now, you are simply the victim of a bad batch sample. Anybody who lives in California is bound to think all of America is full of idiots, when they spend their days surrounded by an inordinate percentage of them. We won;t have residents of the Land of Fruits and Nuts denigrating the rest of us like that.

i am glad that the nearest wallyworld in 75 miles away from me.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:39 AM

297 posts, read 358,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post

Ive lived short term in 22 states. I did refinery/factory shutdowns and pipelines before the military, and the military stationed me on both coasts. California has a very specific complete lack of common sense that always shows through but every state has its flavor. Washington state has the most insane law practices you have ever heard of. They finally outlawed bestiality in like 2006 or something after an unfortunate incident with a guy and a horse in a bestiality brothel which led to the guy ending up in the ER, and you can get fined for fishing illegally on one side of a river after moving a few hundred yards from the other side of the river where it was legal. Its nuts!

And wasn't Walmart started in Arkansas?

Also, you cannot just point at the west coast eaither, the eastern US has New jersey(enough said), Florida is stuck so far back in time it has become more of a racial hotbed than a Klan meeting in a churches chicken, (I.E. stand your ground law ect), and not a single person in Virginia can drive in the snow despite getting some almost every year! Its like, "OMG why is the road white? I dont know but I am gonna take my ride and hide in this here ditch until it goes away"!

And forget the central US, I have seen "The hills have eyes" one and two. No thank you sir or ma'am.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:17 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Also, you cannot just point at the west coast eaither, the eastern US has New jersey(enough said), Florida is stuck so far back in time it has become more of a racial hotbed than a Klan meeting in a churches chicken, (I.E. stand your ground law ect), and not a single person in Virginia can drive in the snow despite getting some almost every year! Its like, "OMG why is the road white? I dont know but I am gonna take my ride and hide in this here ditch until it goes away"!
ROFLMAO!!!

Stupid, I agree. But you forgot to add, "prissy-arsed" for Southern New England (and mebbe VT)!

Old 03-02-2015, 06:45 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,259 times
Quote:
Ive lived short term in 22 states. I did refinery/factory shutdowns and pipelines before the military, and the military stationed me on both coasts. California has a very specific complete lack of common sense that always shows through but every state has its flavor. Washington state has the most insane law practices you have ever heard of. They finally outlawed bestiality in like 2006 or something after an unfortunate incident with a guy and a horse in a bestiality brothel which led to the guy ending up in the ER, and you can get fined for fishing illegally on one side of a river after moving a few hundred yards from the other side of the river where it was legal. Its nuts!

And wasn't Walmart started in Arkansas?

And forget the central US, I have seen "The hills have eyes" one and two. No thank you sir or ma'am.
Haha! As far as the weather, the Alzheimer's drivers are everywhere. Winter, rain, even bright sunlight. The "sunshine slowdown" is an actual term in use, embedded in St. Louis traffic reports! It's like nobody can remember what they learned last time it happened!

We looked at WA, a while back, the country around Colville was beautiful, but in the end, the laws were just too onerous. I'm all for getting rid of bestiality(Really? We have to have a law about this?), but the restriction of basic rights foisted on the entire state by the granola crowd in Seattle was too much for us.

Walmart started in Arkansas, but the infection has spread to just about everywhere, hot on the heels of welfare and ignorance.

I only saw the first "Hills have eyes", an it was plenty. I think it musy have been filmed in eastern California, or maybe Nevada? Looked like desert to me, best I can remember. Was two filmed in a different setting?

Ah, New Jersey. The state where 72 year old men get arrested for having a flintlock pistol. Rivals to California.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:09 AM

195 posts, read 186,327 times
I have some drums of grain and legumes hidden at a suitable stop, my guns and camping gear. some cash and gold coins. I"ll be ok, barring complete disaster, nationwide.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:41 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
I keep hearing this sort of thing all the time, the idea that somehow we are "too big to fail", no, we just have further to fall is all, I bet the Mayans, the Aztecs, the Pharohs, the Roman empire(remember them?) they all thought their civilisations were going to last forever, we are no different. we (western countries) have 3 core systems: Power(notably electricity),Banking and Finance and Telecommunications, the failure of any one of these will cause the collapse of the other 2 within a matter of days or weeks at most, this will then result in the failure of civilisation as we know it.
The end of Mayans, Aztecs, Pharaohs ... even the Roman Empire ... did NOT suddenly collapse in a week or a month or even a year. Buildings didn't start spontaneously imploding, people didn't start dropping dead, water didn't turn to acid. In all of these cases - and yes, all countries and empires rise and fall - it was more akin to a new government coming in and taking over.

I remember reading a long 600+ page history of Mexico many years ago in preparation for a trip to Mexico. The historian who wrote it said that when Cortez and his Spaniards overthrew the Aztec royal family and their government, for the common people it was just like a change of administration ... they still went on planting their crops, weaving their textiles ... just serving new masters.

Now, permit me to offer an opinion of a real life "SHTF" scenario that happened in the last 100 years. I think this would be if you were Jewish living in Germany in the 1930's. Take the family of Anne Frank for instance. They prepared by going into hiding. It bought them some time, but in the end it wasn't good enough. Only Otto, the father, survived the Holocaust. I think an excellent "survivalist" technique is a good escape plan.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:01 PM

195 posts, read 186,327 times
except when the US falls there will be no safe place to run to. All other countries will collapse, too. So pick a place with a decent climate, access to water, fuel, protection from the elements, lots of edible wild plants, have plenty of non-hybrid seeds, read up on Euel Gibbons books, store some legumes and grains and get ready for hell on earth. If it turns out to be less grim than that, great. At least semi-ready ccess to the ocean, salt, iodine and sail travel is a good idea, too.

Last edited by dreadd; 03-09-2015 at 09:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness