Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 02:02 PM

9 posts, read 11,182 times

Advertisements

I bought a book called ( Strategic Relocation) by Joel Skousen. It was very informative ! I've narrowed it down to CO. Maybe the best survival areas would include natural springs,abundant hunting and fishing,good growing area for fruit and veg. ? What about close to border of WY. or Utah? A single mother could appreciate some advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 02:52 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
I don't believe any of the regulars here are in Colorado. Couple from Wyoming, one in Utah, you got one across the border in Kansas.

I could be mistaken, but you may be out of luck on Colorado specifically, unless we find a lurker or passerby that's willing to talk.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:31 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Try the Colorado state forum. They may or may not know anything about prepping, but they should know the area. Good luck!

Old 03-11-2015, 04:03 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
I'm probably the one that's across the line in KS... My local library is in CO, I go to church in CO, Get groceries, etc, etc. I do a lot of living in CO, aside from the fact that my address is KS.

Honestly, given my druthers, I probably wouldn't pick CO for a self-sufficient lifestyle... Eastern/southern CO is definitely looser than the Front Range, but even still, it's more restrictive than other neighboring states.
If you're looking near WY, I would just hop across the line INTO Wyoming...
And water can be notoriously difficult to find. Those mountain springs aren't available to just anyone and for those that are, you'll pay dearly for the privilege.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:04 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
There are lots of preppers in Colorado. However, I don't think it really meets your criteria.

Land is expensive and water is scarce. The area with natural springs would be high in the mountains and thus cold with a very short growing season. Game is not plentiful and as soon as hunting regulations are removed, the game won't last long. The same with fish. As soon as the game warden is gone, a couple of sticks of dynamite will end the fish population.

The only reason there is game is because the conservation measures are intense. Game animals are counted and the harvest is calculated to not reduce the numbers. Lots of people with hunting tags never do get a deer, and that's with a population that is supported by humans, with short hunting seasons and game preserves and hunting clubs maintaining wildlife habitat. The fish population is supported by fish hatcheries.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:11 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,874,865 times
Sure there are preppers in Colorado! The only problem is although many would survive an EMP there is nearly zero survival within 1000 miles of a Yellowstone volcanic erruption.
12 states would potentially be eliminated from any form of habitation for hundreds of years. The pyroclastic outcome would bury eveything with 4-5 ft of ash precipitating a nuclear
winter worldwide. ( which for some will be survivable)

Old 03-13-2015, 02:37 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2015 View Post
I bought a book called ( Strategic Relocation) by Joel Skousen. It was very informative ! I've narrowed it down to CO. Maybe the best survival areas would include natural springs,abundant hunting and fishing,good growing area for fruit and veg. ? What about close to border of WY. or Utah? A single mother could appreciate some advice.
You're looking for a place that no longer exists. It's as much a part of days gone by as the Roman Empire. Read some of the other survivalist fora. You'll see many posts from people who lived in Colorado and loved it; now, they're gone, frequently to Wyoming. Think of a big eastern city that's been splattered all over the most beautiful place on earth; that's the Colorado of 2014.

When I was very young I heard of the Busk-Ivanhoe Tunnel. Beginning as a railroad tunnel on the Colorado Midland, it became an auto tunnel after that famed railroad's demise. Then it became a tunnel for transporting water from the western slope to the eastern cities. A family friend, a certified old timer, told us about driving his new 1928 Chevy through it. There was at that time a clock on each side letting cars know when to proceed. The right of way for the one lane tunnel changed every thirty minutes. I really wished to go through it, but I couldn't; it was gone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busk_Tunnel

Read Muriel Sybil Wolfe's Stampede to Timberline. Written about gold rush days, it provides a good perspective of Colorado sixty to seventy-five years ago when she was writing. You can find those days in a book, not in the world.

When we left Colorado in the afternnoon of November 10, 2002 we stopped at the last remaining Pony Express station at Virginis Dale, a few miles from the Wyoming state line. We both wanted to cry.

My wife's second cousin fled Hungary in 1956. She wouldn't have left her home, but she saw her parents, brother, and husband murdered by Communists. She fought in the Hungarian Uprising and fled during the Soviet invasion. She knew what we felt.

Hundreds of thousands of people built their lives in the wondrous Colorado of your dreams. But now it's gone.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:28 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
I'm in western Colorado far removed from the rich target environments. I have access to plenty of game, caves, fresh water. You might want to visit and see how 12,000 to 13,000 feet elevation feels, in winter. Yes land IS expensive, but there's millions of acres of BLM and National Forest Land in my parts. Not all of Colorado is Denver, there's plenty of secluded places. Good luck to you.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:02 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,529,823 times
The whole shadow government is in CO, I would avoid it.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:23 PM

152 posts, read 208,743 times
Skip Southern Colorado along I-25. I don't think you will feel safe alone. Trinidad is very disturbed. Cops are ignoring devil worship stuff...Males are not staying long alone either. If you travel this highway, do not leave your cell phone in car or use rest stops, stuff is being stolen and phones ruined if left in car. One of the locals figured out how to get car-key-clicker frequencies. Local kids explained it is local scam to ruin cell phones of new people to town so they could not call for help...

Make sure you have A LOT of money saved up and I would not move with many belongings. Some parts of Kansas were ruining new people who moved to town on their own accord, without an invite from a local. Even working at a church, you would be harassed by the town thug...Some who checked out area, ran off pretty quickly when their employer allowed locals to be hostile at work...

Some places target belongings of new residents...I would move with a minimum of stuff and just rough it for a while, so you can walk away easily if you must. Sometimes the town drunk or wife beaters introduces himself too....Small town policing is going bad too & women/kids are the ones suffering...

Kansas has more hospitable climate to small farming, not so arid. But fracking is really going to jeaprodize the water supply. Some of the local dirty business & attorneys are just plowing forward on fracking without any consideration to human survival...No one in state really cares as whole water table of argiculural/tillable lands is poluted due to fertilizers and herbicides...If you want Kansas, you need access to a municipal water supply or govt Rural Water. So unfortunately, fracking near homes using a water well can result in flammable water coming from your water tap and the natural gas flows up through your water well, pipes and taps. House will need to be abandoned probably, and drilling companies have almost no obligation..NEVER chose a house with water well in basement, fracking could blow up your house before you realize the water has gone bad due to methane. You can google this with fracking & Oklahoma or Louisiana...Homesteaders need to be aware of this...Be aware, lots of Kansas farms have been remodeled to suit and dumped back on the sale market...some people who wanted to work on the internet from rural homes even ran their own internet line and still ended up abandoning area due to whatever is wrong in area...Meth, dirty cops, dirty business & backwards politicians are making Kansas very difficult for even a person who could 'afford' the move & new housing costs. You need to be sitting on A LOT of money to get through problems in some towns...I think it ABSOLUTELY essential that you have another family member or trusted friend who will house you if you need to leave OR you should be moving with a roommate or male. You also MUST be armed in the country because the policing problems, drugs & dirty town business is making violent crime in country very likely so you will need to be able to handle ANYTHING and wait 20 minutes for police to arrive AFTER you call for help... One small town of 150 had 2-3 doors kicked in a week for months, nothing done by residents or cops until the druggies pulled a armed home invasion without any real reason and resident had to use enough force to protect himself...Something is just wrong.

Last edited by mostlysunny1; 03-21-2015 at 07:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness