Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 05:39 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,483,397 times

Advertisements

Two days ago, Elon Musk of Tesla delivered a keynote presentation of the new Tesla line of lithium batteries for storing power, whether from solar, wind, hydro, or mule! The "Powerwall" is a compact unit (available in many colors) that hangs on your wall and stores 10kWh of electrical power. At this time, the cost is $3500 (my own first bank of 8 lead-acid cells cost me $2500) for the battery. You can "gang mount" up to 9 of these units, for a massive 90kWh of stored power. I'd be happy with the 10kWh!

Here is his 18-minute keynote presentation, which I found outstanding, and well worth watching!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKORsrlN-2k

Ok...finished my eggs and grits. Back on the road again, home to Maine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 10:02 AM

251 posts, read 341,179 times
getting off the grid just got a whole lot easier...!

Old 05-03-2015, 01:39 PM

5 posts, read 3,685 times
Do ypu think the price will come down?

Old 05-03-2015, 02:13 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,630,289 times
Yes, truly revolutionary. I am hoping to some time have one of these babies too.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:16 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,747,285 times
This guy is a freakin genius, I gotta buy some of his stock!

Old 05-04-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Calf View Post
Do ypu think the price will come down?
Most assuredly it will. New 'tech' is always pricey at first. Actually, it's not that bad a price, as it is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
This guy is a freakin genius, I gotta buy some of his stock!
That might be a good idea. Batteries for cars is one thing; for houses, is quite another!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Yes, truly revolutionary. I am hoping to some time have one of these babies too.
You and me both.

Our first bank of 8 was bought a year ago this month. Our 2nd bank of 8 was purchased last November, to run the big freezer (we processed poultry in November). So we are set for another 5-8 years or so. Plenty of time to keep an eye on these Tesla batteries, and see how they work out!

Old 05-04-2015, 04:51 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,747,285 times
Would these batteries be a good alternative to a home generator?

Old 05-04-2015, 05:09 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times
Quote:
Depends on your system as the batteries have to be charged from some source, and you need to balance your needs to the amp hours stored in the batteries to know if you need to recharge them again.

You could set up a system where the batteries are charged from the grid and only kick in when there's an outage, but if the outage continues for very long, you would need a generator of some kind, gas, diesel, natural gas, solar or wind to recharge them to keep going.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Not better or worse, but different.

Batteries only do one thing: store power. You need to generate that power somehow, in order to store it. Solar is becoming very popular as a way to generate power, as is wind and hydro. But "generating" power is something that a generator does. But it does not store power; once you turn the generator off, the power stops. You can use these batteries to store power from a generator - we sometimes do that with our lead-acid batteries in winter, when the sun is very weak, or not out at all (e.g. it's snowing). For us, 3.5 hours of generator use will charge our batteries for a full 24-hours' worth of use, which is better than running the generator 24/7 for power.

Batteries are a wonderful thing! But they are not an alternative to a generator.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:29 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,630,289 times
Quote:
Solar panels + such a battery and you should be set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness