Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2015, 05:49 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,499,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
A while back she stalked me on the Wyoming forum and attacked a college that won't accept government funding. She shows her hatred in this thread for schools that wish to remain free of government control as well as for the traditional liberal arts curriculum.

The fun begins quickly.

She's currently attacking gold investors on the Economics forum where she has plenty of help in turning it into a diatribe against survivalists.

//www.city-data.com/forum/wyomi...kes-stand.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/econo...emergency.html
Good catch! Can't rep you yet, but will.

I have discussed, at various times and with various posters, the issue of trolling on this board; to wit, why waste your time calling the rest of us down for doing something legal, harmless, and in our minds, beneficial? If you don't believe in preparedness, what are you doing on this forum? Yes, all posters are welcome, but after awhile this negativity affects the SS&P community, and many good people no longer post here. Perhaps that is the whole idea? By driving out the members with much to contribute, trolls succeed in making CD as bland as pabulum, and as PC as a presidential press conference. The rest of us who post here in good faith, deserve a forum of our own in which to discuss real issues of importance to us, without harassment. That may be why the CD people set it up, ya think?

I already have 2 members on "ignore" and may as well add this 3rd one. I advise all to do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 09:14 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,617,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Good catch! Can't rep you yet, but will.

I have discussed, at various times and with various posters, the issue of trolling on this board; to wit, why waste your time calling the rest of us down for doing something legal, harmless, and in our minds, beneficial? If you don't believe in preparedness, what are you doing on this forum? Yes, all posters are welcome, but after awhile this negativity affects the SS&P community, and many good people no longer post here. Perhaps that is the whole idea? By driving out the members with much to contribute, trolls succeed in making CD as bland as pabulum, and as PC as a presidential press conference. The rest of us who post here in good faith, deserve a forum of our own in which to discuss real issues of importance to us, without harassment. That may be why the CD people set it up, ya think?

I already have 2 members on "ignore" and may as well add this 3rd one. I advise all to do the same.
I can't yet rep you yet either.

What the previously mentioned poster does would be a banning offense on most other message boards. I never encounter it on survivalistboards although that place does get plenty of dimwits. I don't post there much. The best places seem to be those dedicated to specific interests, the more specific the better. The Smith & Wesson forum, for example, is excellent, but there's not much there for those who don't collect S & W. C-D has the attraction of a wide variety of fora. Unfortunately, there's a policy of allowing people to attack not only specific topics but even the entire area of interest. That's why I don't post here much anymore.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:26 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,076,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Better ways of covering losses - such as spending more time and money to rebuild the house that you could have insured?
To self-insure means that it is insured.

If your house burns down and you would rebuild either way, you can begin immediately, or you can go through the hassle of a claim, waiting months or years to process, and taking a risk that the insurance company won't find a way to deny your claim. You can give away tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars over time to an insurance company helping to make them richer, or you can put that money to work for you to earn many times more making yourself richer.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post

If your house burns down and you would rebuild either way, you can begin immediately, or you can go through the hassle of a claim, waiting months or years to process, and taking a risk that the insurance company won't find a way to deny your claim. You can give away tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars over time to an insurance company helping to make them richer, or you can put that money to work for you to earn many times more making yourself richer.
Thank you!

Sometimes it is difficult to get these products of conventional thinking to understand that there is more than one way to skin a cat. It's their way or the highway, and they go around babbling the same drivel whenever the subject presents itself. Then they will turn around and point you out as someone who "inherited daddy's money" (my dad died when he was just 32), or are a member of the "1%" (really? me?).

Decades of hard work running a business apparently don't count nowadays as a way to prosper!

Old 12-04-2015, 04:46 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,636,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post

Of course, this is total looney-toon talk and the reason why people from the "outside" think these online communities are "weird" and disconnected from reality. In the case of an insurance company - they pay for the rebuilding. In the case of the "self insurance" (what the hell is that?) - you pay twice to build the same house.

Again, I will ask how have you decided that the probability of your house not going to the toilet is lower than the probability of a zombie horde coming to you from the city in case of an event big enough to cause such an exodus.... To me it sounds like event A would have to happen (with probability p(A)) that would cause the exodus and then event B (exodus itself with probability p(B)) would have to happen. On top of that there is also the event C (with probability p(C)) of something happening to you and your house in case A and B happened. The probability of all three happening at the same time? Hmmm, I will let you figure that one out (hint: it may require college education!).

P.S. The cost of insuring my two homes in two different states run me about $2K/yr right now. It would take a lot of years of paying the insurance company to exceed the value of either of them were they to be destroyed. The way insurance companies make money is by making sure they collect more than what they will dish out - this is because not EVERYONE's home will have a claim that is catastrophic - however, when a catastrophic event happens to your house, you will wish you had it insured

Old 12-04-2015, 05:22 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,239,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Of course, this is total looney-toon talk and the reason why people from the "outside" think these online communities are "weird" and disconnected from reality. In the case of an insurance company - they pay for the rebuilding. In the case of the "self insurance" (what the hell is that?) - you pay twice to build the same house.

Again, I will ask how have you decided that the probability of your house not going to the toilet is lower than the probability of a zombie horde coming to you from the city in case of an event big enough to cause such an exodus.... To me it sounds like event A would have to happen (with probability p(A)) that would cause the exodus and then event B (exodus itself with probability p(B)) would have to happen. On top of that there is also the event C (with probability p(C)) of something happening to you and your house in case A and B happened. The probability of all three happening at the same time? Hmmm, I will let you figure that one out (hint: it may require college education!).

P.S. The cost of insuring my two homes in two different states run me about $2K/yr right now. It would take a lot of years of paying the insurance company to exceed the value of either of them were they to be destroyed. The way insurance companies make money is by making sure they collect more than what they will dish out - this is because not EVERYONE's home will have a claim that is catastrophic - however, when a catastrophic event happens to your house, you will wish you had it insured

Did you read any case studies in college about businesses that self-insure as a cost cutting/cost containment strategy? It is a far more common practice than you might think, and involves risk assessment using probabilities that drive them to not insure because the probability of exceeding premium cost for a likely outcome is remote.

A home owner making the same decision is really no different than a business choosing to self insure - both are simply making an informed guess about the likelihood of potential future events (probability is just that, a probability, hence guess, if you disagree, you have likely never played poker using probabilities to determine who has what potential hand!). And if the individual catastrophic event is rare (as reflected in relatively low premiums), and the insurance company spreads the risk (that's all insurance really is anyway, using probability calculations to cover losses based on spreading risk, plus some amount of premium covering overhead and profits figured into the premium rate), why is the home owner somehow deficient for looking at insurance coverage, and thinking the premium is too much for the likelihood of a catastrophic event, and payouts for smaller events are easily handled cash and carry, so they choose to assume the risk and save the premium?

Mortgage companies generally require insurance to secure THEIR interests, not yours. If you are mortgage free, not in a flood, earthquake, lava zone, I could see deciding that forgoing homeowners insurance (and the premiums) is a reasonable risk vs the potential for a catastrophic loss (and the payout).

People make all kinds of decisions for all kinds of reasons, different does not always equate to stupid.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post

A home owner making the same decision is really no different than a business choosing to self insure - both are simply making an informed guess about the likelihood of potential future events (probability is just that, a probability, hence guess, if you disagree, you have likely never played poker using probabilities to determine who has what potential hand!).

People make all kinds of decisions for all kinds of reasons, different does not always equate to stupid.
Thank you, also!

I dunno...why do so many posters here easily understand business concepts, while a young man who boasts of his educational level, is completely in a fog over the whole thing? I run my entire life, pretty much, as a business, and my properties are business entities as well. In the event of a loss or damage, that can simply be written off as a business loss, with its attendant tax benefits.

Why is this so difficult to fathom? Unless, of course, I'm simply the victim of a troll...

Old 12-04-2015, 11:21 PM

13,134 posts, read 21,036,777 times
Quote:
I have discussed, at various times and with various posters, the issue of trolling on this board; to wit, why waste your time calling the rest of us down for doing something legal, harmless, and in our minds, beneficial? If you don't believe in preparedness, what are you doing on this forum?
That's a bit hypocritical and absolute BS. The problem is many believe fully 100% in preparing but there are those loonies (and anyone who refuses to open their eyes to admit they exist are part of the problem) who are never satisfied with the scenarios we chose to prepare for unless it rises to some outrageous SHTF scenario.

Some of us apply practical, rational intelligent thinking to how we approach things. We prepare for the events that have happened and most likely will happen again. We add on to each subsequent threat we want to address. We are constantly evaluating the treat as events change. But, we are attacked by the radicals who feel if we are not preparing for the day some alien attack by the walking dead with black ops government helicopters taking over walmarts and throwing us into fake fema camps, well we just are not prepared. To them, being able to survive a flood, hurricane, tornado, electric outage, logistic disruption, fuel shortages, and general disruption of ordinary life is not preparing if we are not also preparing for the men in black to come swooping down confiscating our seeds in advance of the hoards of radical gangs from the city. They call us crazy for not running around screaming "the sky is falling!"

Take a look at some of the topics; are they actually about self sufficiency or preparing for an emergency, or are they about who can outdo the previous person with their lunatic version of how things will unfold? And I have to ask, why is it so wrong to prepare within one's means yet still place some trust in government aid coming through? After all, they have come through every time the tin foil hat loonies said they wouldn't. I'm not advocating placing a 100% dependency on government, but that doesn't mean I;m going to run from the and advocate everyone else run from them when they do come with help.

Look, we all know there are a bunch of fakers on this forum. Many post their comments after playing some games on their X-box or watched an episode of Doomsday Preppers. Heck, I see these types all the time. Some of the people who want us to do a project for them are in this group. We know when they speak and write how much BS they are spouting because they deal with abstracts, never being able to provide any rationals that is supported. So long as they make claims and pretend what they are , all is good. But if they attempt to make claims that what others are doing is wrong, they should expect push-back. The fact that the push back makes them look like total clowns is their own fault, not ours. But, since they are now caught in their own fantasy role playing, they attack us for not being prepared or placing our dependency on government help and the many other soapbox lines they use. In a way, when they pull out those immature soundbites, I know they have nothing.

I'm sure to many this is just some fantasy release; a way to act out a life they never will have. To reach into the world of far fetched radical nonsense is all part of the role playing. The more ridiculous and far fetch the scenario they are prepping for, the less they really have to get it right. They can make the whole thing as loony as they want because its just a fantasy. Think about it, if they had to really prepare for a hurricane and a hurricane came, what do they say if they were not prepared and need government help? But if they are planning some government take over of walmart and frank's gun shop, they can make it all up as that fantasy isn;t going to happen. Unfortunately, some have lost touch with reality and now their fantasy have become their reality. So, they start imposing their distorted reality on others as if its true and real. That's why they can not debate a point but just slap each other on the back saying they speak the truth.

Now, if they stayed in that fantasy prepper world they created and stopped trying to tell everyone else they need to be just as far fetched wacky as they are, this discussion would not be happening. But they can't keep their mouth shut (probably because this is all their existence consist of) and that's when they get push back they are unprepared to deal with.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
...And I have to ask, why is it so wrong to prepare within one's means yet still place some trust in government aid coming through? After all, they have come through every time the tin foil hat loonies said they wouldn't....Look, we all know there are a bunch of fakers on this forum. Many post their comments after playing some games on their X-box or watched an episode of Doomsday Preppers...Now, if they stayed in that fantasy prepper world they created and stopped trying to tell everyone else they need to be just as far fetched wacky as they are, this discussion would not be happening. But they can't keep their mouth shut (probably because this is all their existence consist of) and that's when they get push back they are unprepared to deal with.
We all prepare within our means. Most of the regulars on this board got a wake-up call after Katrina; sure the gov't eventually showed up....but how many died while waiting for that? Others among us prefer to accept no gov't aid, because we accept our responsibility to provide for our own families. If you wish to wait in long lines for gov't food or water - no matter how late it comes - that's fine with me.

Look, we've all seen threads here on some zombie apocalypse, cannibalism, asteroid impacts and what-have-you. We cannot stop passers-by from posting this stuff. I'm 68, and most of the serious regulars here are in their 50s, 60s, even 70s. None of us play with X-boxes, or watch Doomsday Preppers (I for one, watch no TV, so have never seens such shows). Don't expect us to "keep our mouth shut" because this is our forum.

We have tolerated the "weather preppers" in our midst, but being called "looney", "paranoid", "far fetched wacky" or having "wet dreams" regarding disaster, is more than we should have to tolerate. There is nothing hypocritical in what I wrote in your quote; C-D set up this forum for those of us who wanted to have serious discussions on the topic, not so that a bunch of trolls steeped in conventional thinking could come along and sling mud at us for our beliefs! Again, C-D set up this forum for us to discuss these topics.

Now and then, some smart axe comes along and singles one of us out for the full troll treatment. That has just happened (again...) to me, regarding house insurance. Incapable of understanding basic business concepts - so that means I should suffer for it? I don't think so. The list of people I have on "ignore" is growing. I'll be happy to add you to it, if you keep on. This forum really needs a moderator again!

Last edited by Nor'Eastah; 12-05-2015 at 05:44 AM..

Old 12-05-2015, 06:51 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,636,036 times
Quote:
Now and then, some smart axe comes along and singles one of us out for the full troll treatment. That has just happened (again...) to me, regarding house insurance. Incapable of understanding basic business concepts - so that means I should suffer for it? I don't think so. The list of people I have on "ignore" is growing. I'll be happy to add you to it, if you keep on. This forum really needs a moderator again!
Hmmm. Ok.

This was said first here: //www.city-data.com/forum/newre...ply&p=42126742

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
we are not the tin-foil hat brigade. we just prefer to be prepared and have food insurance among other items.

I guess you as a person do not believe in any kind of insurance at all, no health insurance, no property insurance, no life insurance, no car insurance, no business insurance and no home/renters insurance.

if you believe in having no insurance at all, then you can state what you did, but if you have any kind of insurance, then do not troll on people who have different kinds of insurance that you do not have.
Then you said here: //www.city-data.com/forum/42128853-post149.html

Quote:
All I wanted to know is if you can explain how you arrived at the fact that the probability of things being so bad as to require altering your lifestyle to live in the middle-of-nothing with stockpiles of everything for decades (or being invaded by city zombies) are higher than your home burning down to the ground. Hardly trolling, I would say...

Last edited by ognend; 12-05-2015 at 07:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness