Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 07:53 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Images are among the most compelling things we have. A little known project from the New Deal was the one dealing with arts and culture. Photographers were hired to take pictures which has led to some of the most compelling images in American history, especially of poor people in Appalachia and the "Okies" who fled the Dust Bowl. Some of these photos have become world famous, and are literally, what we think of when we think of the Great Depression.

Another part of this same project sent anthropologists out into the rural areas to make recordings of folk music. These are all saved at the Library of Congress.
Both sets of my grandparents were young adults tending small children when they migrated to California to become farm-workers. Those photos were hard reminders of how they spent their mid-20s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 09:13 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Both sets of my grandparents were young adults tending small children when they migrated to California to become farm-workers. Those photos were hard reminders of how they spent their mid-20s.
Isn't that how the apprentices spend their time in Maine on someone else's farm hoping they will own one of their own one day?

Old 12-29-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Isn't that how the apprentices spend their time in Maine on someone else's farm hoping they will own one of their own one day?
Apprentices generally do 2 years, then become Journeymen. Journeymen have a 93% success rate after 10 years as being independent farmers.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Apprentices generally do 2 years, then become Journeymen. Journeymen have a 93% success rate after 10 years as being independent farmers.
Suma summarum, 20 years of toiling and living like an animal so that I can have a shot at subsistence. No thanks

Old 12-29-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Suma summarum, 20 years of toiling and living like an animal so that I can have a shot at subsistence. No thanks
No clue what that means.

Who does 20 years of toiling?

Old 12-29-2015, 03:07 PM

100 posts, read 206,258 times
I would save some bees in my walipini

Old 12-29-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
No clue what that means.

Who does 20 years of toiling?
Well, you come there with nothing (this is from your "ads"), work for years and then 10 years down the road you hope to own a farm (magically, I might add). In the meantime, you do manual labor, get fed or live in a place at the mercy of whoever, you don't really save anything (since you are paid a minimum wage or worse), in the winter you cannot really farm much in Maine (so deduce at least 4 months from each year's earnings), you have no healthcare (or am I paying taxes for this "lifestyle experiment" to be subsidized?), so on and so on. In the meantime, you could have a real job, live in a real house and be saving real money to start your farm in 5-10 years. A husband and a wife can make $50-60K per year and save half if prudent. In 10 years they can have $300K (without any investments where the money can grow). They will never save that kind of money spending 10 years on someone's farm being basically slave labor. We've been through this - let's not pollute the thread

Old 12-29-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Well, you come there with nothing (this is from your "ads"), work for years and then 10 years down the road you hope to own a farm (magically, I might add). In the meantime, you do manual labor, get fed or live in a place at the mercy of whoever, you don't really save anything (since you are paid a minimum wage or worse), in the winter you cannot really farm much in Maine (so deduce at least 4 months from each year's earnings), you have no healthcare (or am I paying taxes for this "lifestyle experiment" to be subsidized?), so on and so on. In the meantime, you could have a real job, live in a real house and be saving real money to start your farm in 5-10 years. A husband and a wife can make $50-60K per year and save half if prudent. In 10 years they can have $300K (without any investments where the money can grow). They will never save that kind of money spending 10 years on someone's farm being basically slave labor. We've been through this - let's not pollute the thread
You tell some story there.

I see no relation to reality though.

You insist on spreading serious negativity from your imagination. That is a big pollution to the thread.

Can we get back to reality now?

Old 12-30-2015, 05:30 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
You know darn well that you are: food stamps, Obamacare, and whatever other boondoggle garbage is available.

Government employees, present and former, don't live in the real world. They may claim to be self-sufficient, but they think that self-sufficiency includes what they get from the government. They think of government support the way that you think of earning money. They're no different from welfare recipients.

However, you may rest assured that you'll die with far more money than he and you'll know that you earned yours.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:10 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
mothers parents were farmers, grandparents were farm workers, sister married a farm worker and my wife was a herdswoman-spent 1 year as a farm student, then 1 year at Agricultural College then back out onto a farm again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness