Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 04:13 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,613,409 times

Advertisements

It would require a lengthy book to answer some of the points raised so far in this thread. There is one book, however, that would serve as an excellent introduction. The book has the rather innocent title, Scribes and Scholars. It is, however, a pithy tome. First published in 1968, it is in its greatly expanded third edition. I've linked to two printings of the third edition in order to provide more reviews.I particularly commend the reader's attention to the first review in the first link. The authors begin with ancient criticism which provides a better perspective. I cannot recommend this book too highly. As noted in several reviews, buy the physical edition.

As an aside, I must note that Ireland did play an important role in preserving manuscripts. No one doubts that.

Amazon.com: Scribes and Scholars: A Guide to the Transmission of Greek and Latin Literature (9780199686339): L. D. Reynolds, N. G. Wilson: Books

Amazon.com: Scribes and Scholars: A Guide to the Transmission of Greek and Latin Literature (9780198721468): L. D. Reynolds, N. G. Wilson: Books

Should civilization collapse again, I'd wish to first have stores of the literary and technical works of all ages. Although Homer composed his poems during the Greek Dark Ages he's the earliest we have in Western Civilization. It's interesting to note that by the time of Homer the Greeks though of the chariot as having been a battlefield taxi rather than as a fighting vehicle.

There's been plenty of research on the proper storage of paper and other materials. I'll mention that electronic storage discs are unlikely to last very long. Caves would be ideal repositories. Stable temperature is very important. For above ground storage, stone and masonry are best.

Some of the best photographic prints of early periods are from negatives on glass plates. Their ability to retain dimensional stability is the primary reason. The photographic inventions of the electronic age, however, have nearly obliterated so many fine photographic techniques and even the technology its. Eastman admitted a few years ago that they would not be able to produce their Technical Pan film again even if there were a market. The hobbyist mixing up chemicals at home can't compete with the Eastman Kodak of yesteryear. Did anyone ever place a gel behind the lens of a view camera in a critical application? Gels are no longer made. If I could make one recent technology something that never happened it would be digital photography.

I consider the preservation of the contents of museums to be almost as important as the contents of libraries. Although few visit museums with any serious purpose, the importance of both artifacts and natural specimens can't be overestimated.

This thread forces us to determine what's most important to preserve of our civilization. My vote is for information followed by the aesthetically pleasing.

Now, continue your Christmas feasts. The more that you eat and drink at this time the more you will have to eat and drink during the coming year. Don't forget that spring has begun. Every day until the summer solstice will see the sun higher in the sky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 05:06 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,925,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
"!

You mentioned Biblical translations...how about saving a Bible, a Kuran, the Torah, the Baghavat Gita...?
I'm thinking religion should be one of those things that should be forgotten... Too much strife, murder, war over this damn stuff! Read Arthur C Clarke's Songs of Distant Earth and you'll get his perspective on religion.

Old 12-25-2015, 05:08 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,925,737 times
The plays of Shakespeare
The compositions of Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, the jazz age, and Bob Dylan
Medical technology
Fawlty Towers

My own survival is not so important. I've made my contribution to the gene pool, and 3/4 of the contribution to the meme pool that I'm ever going to make.

But the survival of the species is very important. What a piece of work is man, how noble in reason, how infinite in faculty...

Old 12-25-2015, 05:39 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,495,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
...I'll mention that electronic storage discs are unlikely to last very long. Caves would be ideal repositories. If I could make one recent technology something that never happened it would be digital photography.

Every day until the summer solstice will see the sun higher in the sky.
My thoughts exactly, on photography and digital media! That's why I would choose hard copy photographs to save.

Also appreciate the reminder that we are now back on the upswing in terms of daylight length. The weather here is usually so severe in Jan-Feb-March, we often forget that the season pendulum is swinging back!

Old 12-25-2015, 06:18 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,048,811 times
If there was some way to salvage the ability to chat with strangers anywhere on the planet, that might be useful. Saving the internet might save the planet?

Old 12-25-2015, 08:19 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,495,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
If there was some way to salvage the ability to chat with strangers anywhere on the planet, that might be useful. Saving the internet might save the planet?
Lots of people think that the internet, smartphones, social media and Skype are the be-all and end-all of civilization. They are too young to remember how much all of those things have changed in just the last 5 years. Better things will come along, in the blink of an eye.

At any rate, I believe that the latest tech will be most quickly recovered as it will be so fresh in people's minds. It is the heart of Western civilization that's in most danger of being lost.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:44 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,048,811 times
So what is the heart of Western civilization and why do we want to be specific about which civilization we're planning to save? Western civilization is too violent, IMHO, some more tolerant one might be nicer to save.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:44 AM

5,411 posts, read 3,608,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Hmm. I think society is actually much more transparent and "equal opportunity" today than it was even a 100 years ago. Greed? They slaughtered all the bison in United States and handed out tuberculosis blankets to natives in order to eradicate them quickly so that more land could be grabbed for the settlers. Gold rush, anyone? Crime is down overall, even the wars produce less victims today than they did just 60-70 years ago. Me thinks you need to check your data
Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria, the first two a lot of our soldiers came back in coffins, and for what? none are the bastions of democracy are they? millions of migrants travelling across Europe like a plague of locusts, terrorists, flooding, now huge fires in Australia just today, to name but a few. I think you need to remove the rose tinted glasses, too much turkey, or what ever you Americans eat for Christmas!!
as for technology, I always said that the human race would lose the use of its legs through non use, to say nothing of all those skills that are being lost because no one wants to get their hands dirty anymore.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:44 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,208,081 times
FYI: the Library of Congress already saves copies of most American copyrighted and published print material like books and periodicals, on both microfiche and digital media I believe. It also saves muical recordings and movies, probably both digitally as well.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:05 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,634,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria, the first two a lot of our soldiers came back in coffins, and for what? none are the bastions of democracy are they? millions of migrants travelling across Europe like a plague of locusts, terrorists, flooding, now huge fires in Australia just today, to name but a few. I think you need to remove the rose tinted glasses, too much turkey, or what ever you Americans eat for Christmas!!
as for technology, I always said that the human race would lose the use of its legs through non use, to say nothing of all those skills that are being lost because no one wants to get their hands dirty anymore.
Sir, you are ignorant, me thinks

Here: The Fallen of World War II - Data-driven documentary about war & peace

Humanity has been "losing skills" since the dawn of time - with every new generation came new technologies that made life easier and made old skills obsolete.

There is a steady supply of people who know the old tech - they come from impoverished countries. For example, most stone masons in United States these days are from Mexico, that "tech" is alive and well there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness