Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 10:18 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times

Advertisements

My phone is just a convenience and a tool. I'm not addicted to it. I was horribly addicted to working and sugar. I've stopped working and I made it 30 days without sugar. My phone? Meh. Just give me a snickers. That means more to me right now then my phone. Actually I can't remember the last time I had one. They used to be an almost daily treat when I was working and I haven't worked in 9 months now. I guess it's been months. Wow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 11:09 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
I use my phone because at the moment it's the fastest way to communicate. If tech just died it wouldn't bother me. I was born before fax machines. We didn't have a phone when I was a kid. We had a outhouse and I kid you not a water well with a bucket.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:13 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,603,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
We had a outhouse and I kid you not a water well with a bucket.
many people alive today would not use such devices, they would think them dirty and old fashioned and would probably die of disease very quickly.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:22 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,429 times
I have a 2007 LG flip phone, so I will probably end up ruling the wasteland like Lord Humongos in Road Warrior.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:32 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,661 times
In reality only addictions to alcohol, benzodiazepines and opiates followed by a rapid withdraw from any of these controlled substances have a chance of actually killing someone.

The loss of a smartphone will in no way cause death.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:11 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
No, it isn't smoking, or drinking, or drugs, or gambling, or shopping, or pizza with 12 toppings.

It's your smartphone.

That's one thing that just P*SSES me off...I have stopped going to some places that ONLY offer "Freebies" to patrons with a smartphone...I have a nice slider (Hidden keyboard) and have Verizon ($100 deposit and $1 each time I make/receive a call) I have now been using the "Fill out this and buy one get one free" but frankly I feel that those with smartphones get more....

I "Could" buy a unlocked smartphone and only use the free wifi, but I'm debating if it's worth it....

Old 05-01-2016, 05:05 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
No, it isn't smoking, or drinking, or drugs, or gambling, or shopping, or pizza with 12 toppings.

It's your smartphone.

How many times a day do you check it? What if you couldn't check it? How painful would withdrawal be? Do you eat silently with friends or family...all of you on your phones? Do you cross a street without looking up? Do you miss an hour of sleep in order to check your Facebook page? To respond to a tweet? To send a photo of your bare feet on Instagram? Or some other bare part of your anatomy....??

Do you find that this distracts you from life? Or does life distract you from your phone?

Do you judge other people by the make, model, and cost of their phones? Is your phone a status symbol? Do you panic if you can't find it? Is your whole life pretty much on that phone? What do you think would have happened on 9-11 if everybody had their faces buried in the phones? What do you think will happen if there is another crisis, as bad or worse than that one, if everyone is busy with their phone?

When it comes to survival, could you survive without that phone? Can you think for yourself, without it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTduyvT8zoM
I could live without it easily. Most people could, really.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:16 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:

It's your smartphone.

How many times a day do you check it? What if you couldn't check it? How painful would withdrawal be? Do you eat silently with friends or family...all of you on your phones? Do you cross a street without looking up? Do you miss an hour of sleep in order to check your Facebook page? To respond to a tweet? To send a photo of your bare feet on Instagram? Or some other bare part of your anatomy....??

Do you find that this distracts you from life? Or does life distract you from your phone?

Do you judge other people by the make, model, and cost of their phones? Is your phone a status symbol? Do you panic if you can't find it? Is your whole life pretty much on that phone? What do you think would have happened on 9-11 if everybody had their faces buried in the phones? What do you think will happen if there is another crisis, as bad or worse than that one, if everyone is busy with their phone?

When it comes to survival, could you survive without that phone? Can you think for yourself, without it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTduyvT8zoM

I have a landline, does that count?

Old 05-01-2016, 09:00 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
One of the problems about the smart phones is I believe that people have become so impersonal with them.

Ie, with one of my date sites, I see that my prospectives are logged in by way of their cell phone......and I often see days of my "pep talk" greetings sitting there unopened. (Prospectives in my book get a very low rating when that happens, when they aren't sending me "pep talk" greetings, when it looks like they are only talking to me when I talk to them first)

So at a guess, I'd say we have developed an attitude of "I'll get around to it," ...... and we all know what often happens in that approach.

So for the suggestion of "We can use smart phones to coordinate", are there enough people who know to do that, to treat their incoming signals with some priority?

Old 05-02-2016, 12:15 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
One of the problems about the smart phones is I believe that people have become so impersonal with them.
Great observation!

A text is much more impersonal than a call, in that you don't hear the person's voice, and don't even know if they've read your text or not. Your message loses its immediacy. I think a whole generation is losing its ability to be accountable. Everything tends to be hidden, and becomes secondary to the user's priorities, which are not disclosed. Kind of like when we here on C-D say that someone is "hiding behind their keyboard".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness