Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2016, 02:55 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
No, it isn't smoking, or drinking, or drugs, or gambling, or shopping, or pizza with 12 toppings.

It's your smartphone.

How many times a day do you check it? What if you couldn't check it? How painful would withdrawal be? Do you eat silently with friends or family...all of you on your phones? Do you cross a street without looking up? Do you miss an hour of sleep in order to check your Facebook page? To respond to a tweet? To send a photo of your bare feet on Instagram? Or some other bare part of your anatomy....??

Do you find that this distracts you from life? Or does life distract you from your phone?

Do you judge other people by the make, model, and cost of their phones? Is your phone a status symbol? Do you panic if you can't find it? Is your whole life pretty much on that phone? What do you think would have happened on 9-11 if everybody had their faces buried in the phones? What do you think will happen if there is another crisis, as bad or worse than that one, if everyone is busy with their phone?

When it comes to survival, could you survive without that phone? Can you think for yourself, without it?
To address the original directly, now that I have watched the video.........

First of all, I don't have a smart phone. I am on my third battery on my Razor and plan to keep it as long as I can because basically, I don't want to become a zombie.

Since I don't have a smart phone, most of the questions above don't apply. Most of how I live my life can be described in what I said in //www.city-data.com/forum/psych...ine-games.html

As to why, well aside from not being an Em person, I've been electronic warfare and a cop; it probably heavily influences how I see being tied in.

Heavily. I recall how in 1991 an organization I was doing volunteer work for suddenly turned against me. I got a landline phone call that they wanted to see me early on my shift for a meeting and when I asked what the meeting was about, I was given the "We'll talk about that when you get here.". I dreaded about it for 3 days and then decided to take back control by calling in, saying I couldn't make the meeting, it would be another time.............and then I "submerged, went silent".

I took on the attitude of "You start talking to me, I'll start talking to you, but until then...........,". The way I was seeing things in my imagination, is was "Status: Submerged, operating on rules and procedures as stored in on board computers.". We never started communicating again, there were one or two phone messages asking me to answer up but I was operating under "You start talking to me.....," and I eventually resigned under declared reason of spending more time with my studies.

That's the way I think in this modern world. There are a lot of times when my phone is turned off, for various reasons. If someone really needs to talk to me, we'll set up a time table for when I'll be listening, but basically, I treat phones and answerers as working for me.....not the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 03:06 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,603,907 times
the problem is, I see it everytime I go out, people head down texting or whatever on their mobile devices, many not even looking where they are going, driving along with a phone pressed to their ear( hand held phones whilst driving are illegal in this country-not that that stops them!) I really do not believe anyone (especially the under 50s) can leave the darn things alone.
there was a programme on tv, 2 teenage/early twenties were challenged to go without any technology(phone, laptop, gaming device etc) for 12 hours, they lasted about 2 and literally had "withdrawal symptoms", and I don't think this pair was unique.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:29 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
That's the way I think in this modern world. There are a lot of times when my phone is turned off, for various reasons. If someone really needs to talk to me, we'll set up a time table for when I'll be listening, but basically, I treat phones and answerers as working for me.....not the other way around.
Yes, I think that's the sanest way to look at it.

To expect me to be constantly available, by phone or otherwise, is a violation of my privacy and my autonomy. Many people don't like it, but they'll just have to live with it. It's my life, and my time. If I'd been born to communicate electronically, I'd have arrived with a smartphone in my hand, directly from the womb!

Old 05-02-2016, 04:23 AM

400 posts, read 575,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
And if I need information, I'll go to the library and look it up in a book.

1984 anyone?
Hope your community keeps voting the library budget through. Libraries are the latest thing to be considered a waste of taxpayer money.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:37 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,489,864 times
Quote:
No, it isn't smoking, or drinking, or drugs, or gambling, or shopping, or pizza with 12 toppings.

It's your smartphone.

How many times a day do you check it? What if you couldn't check it? How painful would withdrawal be? Do you eat silently with friends or family...all of you on your phones? Do you cross a street without looking up? Do you miss an hour of sleep in order to check your Facebook page? To respond to a tweet? To send a photo of your bare feet on Instagram? Or some other bare part of your anatomy....??

Do you find that this distracts you from life? Or does life distract you from your phone?

Do you judge other people by the make, model, and cost of their phones? Is your phone a status symbol? Do you panic if you can't find it? Is your whole life pretty much on that phone? What do you think would have happened on 9-11 if everybody had their faces buried in the phones? What do you think will happen if there is another crisis, as bad or worse than that one, if everyone is busy with their phone?

When it comes to survival, could you survive without that phone? Can you think for yourself, without it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTduyvT8zoM
I can live life without a smartphone. I do not have twitter or facebook. I only use my phone for email, texts and some games if I am waiting.

I lived in a house without a phone for most of the 90's. If you are working most people will not miss them. If people are waiting in a bunker for months, well I think they will miss them because they are bored.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:03 AM

the point is, I think, that most people are on these things almost 24/7, at home, in the office, when driving or at the supermarket, the things seem to be fixed to their ears on a permanent basis, and like any addictions these sorts of people will have a bad time of it immediately these things are no longer functioning, whether they can overcome this addiction is a moot point, many I believe will not.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
the point is, I think, that most people are on these things almost 24/7, at home, in the office, when driving or at the supermarket, the things seem to be fixed to their ears on a permanent basis, and like any addictions these sorts of people will have a bad time of it immediately these things are no longer functioning, whether they can overcome this addiction is a moot point, many I believe will not.
You spend a lot of time worrying about other people. BTW, most people do not have these fixed to their ears anymore. Cell phones are now used for data more than for calls.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
You spend a lot of time worrying about other people. BTW, most people do not have these fixed to their ears anymore. Cell phones are now used for data more than for calls.
they are still fixed to their ears, well they are in the UK anyway.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
they are still fixed to their ears, well they are in the UK anyway.
Notice the date on this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/14/te...ch/14talk.html

I doubt the UK is and different. But Paul, I am willing to review your data if you post it.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:24 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Quote:

How many times a day do you check it? Depends What if you couldn't check it? How painful would withdrawal be? Very painful Do you eat silently with friends or family...all of you on your phones? Do you cross a street without looking up? Do you miss an hour of sleep in order to check your Facebook page? To respond to a tweet? I don't tweet To send a photo of your bare feet on Instagram? I don't do Instagram Or some other bare part of your anatomy....??

Do you find that this distracts you from life? Or does life distract you from your phone? It is an asset

Do you judge other people by the make, model, and cost of their phones? No, but if you still have your flip phone Is your phone a status symbol? Do you panic if you can't find it? Is your whole life pretty much on that phone? Easy access to lots of things What do you think would have happened on 9-11 if everybody had their faces buried in the phones? It would not have been any different What do you think will happen if there is another crisis, as bad or worse than that one, if everyone is busy with their phone? Life will continue and possibly get information quicker

"Could you survive without that phone?"
Probably not now, no more than I could survive without a car, microwave, refrigerator and such like my ancestors did. How in the world did they survive without modern refrigeration/modern plumbing/etc? Life with its conveniences are forever changing everyday.

I love my smartphone

I grew up in the 70's and I do know what life it like without "that phone". It sure makes my life simple.

Every generation has something.

I work with the Public, I work with a lot of people, a lot of younger generation people. It is not as bad as you are making it out to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness