Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 09:32 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,955,245 times

Advertisements

Here's an interesting article I saw on FB about what happened during a 24-72 hr storm induced power outage in australia.

Hidden Fragility - What Happens When The Electricity Is Off For Three Days? | Zero Hedge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 09:52 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times
Sorry, but I have to laugh. The Australians call 1.5 to 2.5 days without power an "extended outage"? All due to a measly category 2 hurricane? Floridians have gone without power for 1 to 2 weeks at a time.... heck, even the northeast had areas with no power for 10 days to 2 weeks from hurricane Sandy.

Peace prevailed. People lived through it. Nobody starved. Most of them, in fact, have forgotten all about it now. Society just isn't all that "fragile".

Australia is a "nanny state" like the UK. Horrors if they miss their afternoon tea!

Old 10-20-2016, 07:46 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
In the aftermath of every hurricane areas are left without power for a week.

After every big snow storm, ice storm, or NorthEaster this happens with regularity.

Our power company has a 'hotline' you call when you power goes out. This hotline has an automated listing of all known towns that are currently without power, in alphabetic order. You listen to the list and if your town is not called out, then you are given the option to report your town's outage. It is an interesting feature as it gives you a good idea of which parts of the state were hit the hardest. Also during each day of power outage if you call it every day, to compare what towns have been removed from the list, you can see which counties have the repair crews.

We used to do that ourselves when we were using grid power.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:28 PM

483 posts, read 418,645 times
Have lived without power (but had water) for two months.. not bc we have no money to pay but because we want out of a rental and prove to court that landlord is a jerk to turn off electricity (on lease, LL supposed to split bill with us).

No electricity no problem with my family.
No water, no way to survive.

Plus when moving to our house, Hurricane Irene took us out for 7.5 days. Well pump run on electric.
So a stock up tub full of water, plus many many gallons of back up water saved the day!!!

I will not need any electrical or electronic stuff to survive.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:32 PM

Nuthing...
I have lived 2 months no power, but will not survive no water.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:00 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,955,245 times
Sometimes I miss living on our sailboat. We had solar, wind and generator power, and never wanted for anything.

Old 10-22-2016, 05:31 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
You might be interested in these weird causes of blackouts as reported a few years ago.
http://www.elp.com/Electric-Light-Po...bird-poop.html

Old 10-22-2016, 06:55 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,877,101 times
Preparation is the key . We recommend a fuel lessgenerator with solar, crank or AC charging ability the late er AC pre storm charging obviously. There are a couple of sources , but Jim Bakker Ministries ( prepper emphasis) is the only one I trust for longevity. I also maintain a full tank of gas then use a Stanley power pack that can get recharged off the car lighter once drained . The power pack operates many appliances. The fuel-less is generally used to run the refrigerator to make ice and fast freeze food before IT loses charge.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:18 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,083,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romaneats View Post
Nuthing...
I have lived 2 months no power, but will not survive no water.
I've gone for months without running water...bad winter 0* in the house, -25* outside, everything froze. It sucks but it can be done- melt snow on the wood stove, fetch buckets of water from the creek (when the weather warmed up). You can get a little stinky but the smell won't kill you. Plenty of kerosene lanterns and candles for light.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I've gone for months without running water...bad winter 0* in the house, -25* outside, everything froze. It sucks but it can be done- melt snow on the wood stove, fetch buckets of water from the creek (when the weather warmed up). You can get a little stinky but the smell won't kill you. Plenty of kerosene lanterns and candles for light.
I agree with you.
I probably survive too without running water but since I prep, I stock some water for the "dirty" use anyways and also plenty of bottled water and backup of water filtration system. I also have a rain barrel. And I store water in tubs during major storms.. old ways.

I don't have BO (dunno why, but think like the people who have smell no matter how they clean.. it may be a physical condition).. so I really rarely needs shower especially if winter.

But if I have to do totally without one..
I give up electricity in a heartbeat.

No water I die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness