Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 06:54 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times

Advertisements

I thought this forum would be the most appropriate place to put this.

I've noticed a couple things lately people have seemingly completely forgotten. I'm no expert in self-sufficiency, but some of the things I see out there are just mind-boggling.

Biggest thing I've noticed day to day is horrible tie-downs in pickups, or no tie downs at all. I saw a portable basketball goal recently upright in a small pickup, going to topple over at any time. I've seen so many items hanging loose out of beds, not tied off, or tied up poorly that this seems to have been forgotten.

I'm not an expert vegetable gardener, but have done about ten years worth of it until the last several years and I'm amazed at the number of people who don't know how to tie support for tomatoes or bean varieties that need it, have never canned or frozen anything, and let a garden basically go to waste.

Tying various knots with common garden twine, ropes, etc., seems to be a lost art. Again, no expert but I can keep things secure.

Any sort of plant/tree identification seems to be long gone. I met a woman in a park in Indiana earlier this year who didn't know a wild blackberry.

What skills are you noticing that seem to be dying off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 07:31 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,661 times
The ability to hold a door open for the person directly behind you or approaching the door.

The ability to allow someone to merge into traffic in front of you.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:41 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times
Well, It seems some of the most basic skills are rarely put into use these days. For instance, how many people call AAA instead of just changing their own tire when they get a flat, or can change their own oil?

How many folks these days can't sharpen a knife without the latest TV gizmo?

How many can handle an ax or fell a tree without serious injury? How many can kill, gut and process animals into meat? Or know how to salt/cure/smoke it for preservation?

I have people come to me all the time that don't know the first thing about doing any repairs of any kind on their homes, even their lawnmowers.

I had a woman call me the other day panicked because her garage door wouldn't open. Turns out the batteries in her garage door opener remote were dead. She's a highly competent professional in her field, but she couldn't figure out that batteries die over time?
I've had people come to me because their computers wouldn't boot up, and it turns out they kicked the plug out.

The worst thing that I see people have lost lately is common sense and the ability to think for themselves to solve problems.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:48 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Speak and write grammatical English.

Multiply and divide four digits with decimals using pen and paper instead of a calculator. Calculate kinetic energy the same way.

Drive a car or truck with a stick shift.

Know what fineness and karat mean. Know the difference between karat and carat.

Know what binomial nomenclature is and why it is important.

Use map and compass, barometer, sextant, as well as an analog watch for more than telling time.

Calculate the date of Easter in any year.

Write legibly without the need to print.

Know roughly the specific gravity of commonly encountered materials.

There are many more.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:58 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
The ability to take one's nose out of a smart phone and look at another human being nearby, and talk to them. Of all the things we've lost, that is potentially the most serious one for the human race.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:44 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,618,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
The ability to take one's nose out of a smart phone and look at another human being nearby, and talk to them. Of all the things we've lost, that is potentially the most serious one for the human race.
True, this generation & millennials (whatever in heck they are?) are totally lost minus their gadgets. I used a calculator in school unless a test was given, then, no way. Now cell phones, texts, drones, haha, I guess aircraft flying over w/ test answers, who knows what else is up? No common sense, can't think for themselves, lack critical thinking skills, etc. Am I making a point?

Dinosaurs or not we be, but if you're under 40 you're in space -- & not in a good way. I really think that if I lived past 100, the world may end sooner than that w/ technology dominating common sense. How many accidents caused by texting & driving? Just as many as DUI's no? A sign of the times, I'm afraid.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:50 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
Being able to live without the internet/cell phones!

Old 10-11-2016, 09:56 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
I was going to say how to use map and compass, but Happy beat me to it.

For young people, how to write in script, a.k.a. penmanship.

Basic weather forecasting using clouds, wind, and other obvious natural signs.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:04 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Cooking.
Spelling.
Math sans calculator.
Sewing.
Writing thank you notes/snail mail.
Basic automotive and home repair.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:41 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
What? My spouse and I can just text each other at the restaurant if we have something to say.

Reading and writing cursive.

Typing with ten fingers.

Basic math.

How to start a fire.

Celestial navigation. (I have my sextant and nav books stashed away just in case.)

Drive a "Three on the Tree" stick shift. My old truck doesn't need a key ( ignition wore out) but it's never been stolen because nobody under 45 can figger out how to shift it.

Also "double clutching." Even the darn 18 wheelers are automatic now.

Happy will be happy to note. I wear a self winding analog watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness