Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 06:42 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I dont discount your rural NE experience, but I would not consider rural New England you describe to be anywhere near rural averages I experienced in several states. NE has the hype and associated allure going for it, that makes up for comprehensive decline or breakdown genuine agricultural states with no metrosexual charm experience. Much of the rural NE is more of a feel good playground for the guys who've made it elsewhere, in a way it is as deceiving and escapist as Kincaid paintings.
Rural New England is the only rural I know. Yes there is poverty here and folks living in old trailers, but most such people are not what I would call "white trash", they just have less money is all. Their values are middle America and many work 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet. Something a bit unique about rural Vermont is that we don't segregate economically. For example last summer a neighbor who lives in a trailer had a cookout. Rich people were there as were poor people and you might have been hard pressed to tell the difference. Some were lifelong residents, others transplants from elsewhere, and one family just spending time here at what is their 3rd home. I'd more go with Norman Rockwell as a descriptive than Kincaid, but I don't argue your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I am working class and so are/were my Ohio and Tennessee neighbors. I work, but most neighbors are/were on some kind of fixed income which makes their living habits very irrational from the practical standpoint, people like that should bunch up together, do typical rural things like growing stuff/trading/sharing/helping out but they dont. I am the only person with a garden and fruit trees 5 miles either way. It is not like I hate where I live, I love it landscape & climate wise, I am a strong silent type myself and I do not depend on others for making my life enjoyable, I am on good terms with all neighbors, even though a few ignored my welcome visit, they just saw me coming, turned around and walked away, If that is not weird, what is? At the very least I wave hands with all folks around here, talk on occasion with a few, but it is like a desert otherwise, people lock themselves up and do hell knows what in their modest undersized dwellings, nobody speaks to anybody, the only two people who actually speak sometimes and help each other are me and my neighbor accross the road. Otherwise it is a capital of the weird, people move in, move out, get incapacitated, die, lose their homes, whatever in absolute isolation as though it is North Pole.
My parents retired to a small town in Middle Tennessee for the lower cost of living, and I think because it was sort of an adventure for my Dad to do something like that I think. It was a new (and nice middle class) neighborhood outside the town limits. They liked it there but it never struck me as if my parents were fully accepted on account they were Northern Catholics. Religion seemed to drive everything which is the polar opposite of the way it is in New England. What church you belonged to was practically the 1st thing anyone asked when they met you. People were friendly and polite but at the same time a little wary of strangers. When my Dad was ill with cancer none of the neighbors jumped in to help with things like mowing the lawn or giving my Mom a ride to the store (she didn't drive). Granted my parents never asked for help but up here where I live you wouldn't have to ask. People would just show up and do it.

So, I suppose there are different rural cultures around the country.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:34 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
and this is news????? These people have been doing this for decades. The reason so many "average" prepper acts surprise is because those with wealth don't go to PrepperCon all dressed up like some walking dead character or shop at Survival-R-Us for the latest khaki ammo vest.

When I speak about those who have developed their safehouses in "hostile" environments, it's because they have the wealth to create a living environment far removed from the Camp Fire Girl prepping that many do. Any person with half a brain can survive in the woods with game and water and resources at their finger tip. But what happens when the things that attracted them to that location also attracts 10 million people in a SHTF scenario? Suddenly their spot is the 7-11 of living. To survive in the woods of Wyoming or Maine or Idaho or ... is girl scout knowledge. To survive in a hostile location takes skill and the all mighty dollar, but at least you'll be left alone.

To find a place where people don't and won't go should be a preppers first decision. But that takes money to be sucesful so they just resort to being Camp Fire Girls in camo.
So true! Here's Huguette Clark's little bunker in the countryside: her SHTF contingency plan... Heiress Huguette Clark's 'Extra' Mansion Sells for $14 Million - NBC News

Old 12-06-2016, 05:33 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,519,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post

Survival in Montana, Wyoming, the Dakota's, isn't "girl scout" prepping, the only folks that would say that have no idea what it's like.
While there is some water, it's usually very deep in the ground. Surface water especially on the plains can be alkali and unusable, when you can find it.
Add to that arctic cold for much of the year and hurricane force winds that can hit any time. The summer brings wildfires that can burn for months, choking off the air, ruining water, and destroying homes.
Then the wildlife. We do have dangerous animals here in abundance. Grizzly and wolves are just the tip of the iceberg.
The growing season is short, the climate is hostile, for survival, you better bring your A game or you'll be feeding the coyotes in pretty short order.

I don't doubt that some rich folks are putting fortified estates up here, I know of several, but I don't think there is any real organized movement to do this anymore than has ever been done.
Folks with money are always targets for extortion, kidnapping, robbery, so of course they take precautions.

There is no new thing under the sun.

Wow, I'd rather be dead than go through this. But I don't fear the afterlife.

Know some rich friends who bought one of these prepped out estates. They took a royal bath on it financially when they woke up and realized they had bought a big bag of fear. We warned them, listened too late.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:24 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Wow, I'd rather be dead than go through this. But I don't fear the afterlife.

Know some rich friends who bought one of these prepped out estates. They took a royal bath on it financially when they woke up and realized they had bought a big bag of fear. We warned them, listened too late.
I've lived in rural Wyoming for over fourteen years. I've seen bear, coyote, and rattlesnakes. I've only been a bit fearful once. That was when I stepped on a rattlesnake's tail. I jumped in one direction and the snake quickly crawled off in the other direction. I walk my dog on my property several times each day without a problem.

The previous poster continually tries to discourage newcomers. Since his complaint is always that they have money, I assume that he doesn't. The rural west isn't remotely as dangerous as any city although the poster you quoted tries to convince us that only a brave he-man like him can survive.

I spent thirty-five years in the Colorado high country before moving to Wyoming. I'm originally from the Chicago area. There are many problems back there because of the sorts of people who live there. I especially like the fact that I live in an educated and prosperous area. It's also a place where a person who's right wing can feel very comfortable. Hillary Clinton carried 22.5% of Wyoming's vote and 17.3% of Park County's where I live. I'm rather jealous of the folks in Campbell County, however, because she only captured 7.4% of their vote.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:36 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Rural New England is the only rural I know. Yes there is poverty here and folks living in old trailers, but most such people are not what I would call "white trash", they just have less money is all. Their values are middle America and many work 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet. Something a bit unique about rural Vermont is that we don't segregate economically. For example last summer a neighbor who lives in a trailer had a cookout. Rich people were there as were poor people and you might have been hard pressed to tell the difference. Some were lifelong residents, others transplants from elsewhere, and one family just spending time here at what is their 3rd home. I'd more go with Norman Rockwell as a descriptive than Kincaid, but I don't argue your point.
Around here there are $25k 4bdrm homes next to $200k 4bdrm homes. They all get along.

There are poor people, there are wealthy people, so what, ...

Old 12-07-2016, 04:50 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
You're kidding, right? There's not a thing in this post that applies to 95% of the rural areas of this Country.
Shhh. If all the urbanoids move to the country they will ruin things here too.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Around here there are $25k 4bdrm homes next to $200k 4bdrm homes. They all get along.

There are poor people, there are wealthy people, so what, ...
Exactly, that nobody cares is part of the beauty of the Northern New England (VT-NH-ME) culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness