Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 07:06 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
My prepping seems so woefully inadequate compared to many of you. I live in a large city, one with many choke points. As nice as the people can be, there is little natural ground to grow food and sustain this many people, supplies would dwindle in days and, people would kill for a drop of water or a small box of non-perishable food. In an urban environment in a SHTF situation, the most plentiful source of food would be other people, other people who are likely thinking the same thing.
Are you aware of the 'urban farming' movement?

Urban Farming :: Welcome To Urban Farming!

'Will Allen' maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 07:27 PM

731 posts, read 678,780 times
Does it coincide? No. You want to go off somewhere and hide from other people,except your cohorts.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:28 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
One time in the 1980s my Dw and I were looking at purchasing some farm land, and we stumbled across one place where they were selling a share of an old commune. 15 years before that a group of families had joined together and they bought a section of land [640 acres]. Over the years the adults go old, the small children grew-up and moved away. Each of the original families migrated to opposing corners of the section, and nobody visited the 'no mans land' in the middle.

This is something to think about, no matter how well a group of people get along with each other. In ten years, your wants will change, your children will become adults and they will leave.

In 2005 we moved to Maine and started our own homestead. Now as we fit into the local community, I have found that we have the highest number of existing communes in the woods here.

There are a lot of people living off-grid and doing sustenance farming around here.

If you want to try to form a new group, have fun. But it sure reminds me of all these other groups that have formed up since the 1960s.

This state does have a recognized militia. I tried to contact them at one point. I found a website, but as I read about them my 'spider sense' said it was hinky. So I dropped that effort.
Good post. My area sounds similar to yours.

Collective communes are doomed to fail. It's much better to find a like minded actual community where everyone actually owns their own piece(s) of land for the most part practice self sufficency.

A "commune" of sorts would work better if someone officially subdivided a big parcel of land into privately owned parcels with a community farm and space in the middle. You would have to be like minded and had to buy a piece of property to join in. Everyone would have a vested interest then and it would eliminate freeloaders.

I'm not a group guy myself, especially one that indentifies as a militia. That sounds like a great way to get on some sort of list in 2018 America.

The late and great George Carlin sums up my thoughts on groups perfectly.

"I don't like a** kissers, flag wavers or team players. I like people who buck the system. Individualists. I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.'" Avoid teams at all cost. Keep your circle small. Never join a group that has a name. If they say, "We're the So-and-Sos," take a walk. And if, somehow, you must join, if it's unavoidable, such as a union or a trade association, go ahead and join. But don't participate; it will be your death. And if they tell you you're not a team player, congratulate them on being observant."

As well as
"People are wonderful. I love individuals. I hate groups of people. I hate a group of people with a 'common purpose'. 'Cause pretty soon they have little hats. And armbands. And fight songs. And a list of people they're going to visit at 3am. So, I dislike and despise groups of people but I love individuals. Every person you look at; you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking."

Old 01-04-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
... It's much better to find a like minded actual community where everyone actually owns their own piece(s) of land for the most part practice self sufficency.
Our town is populated with a group of families that are all focused on their own goals and lives. Some are retirees, some work from home, some commute into the city to work, in some homes one spouse works and one spouse stays home, etc.

My Dw and I have found 'community' with a much larger and wider group of people. Some of them live in our town, some live in adjacent towns, some may live 10 towns away. What makes them a community is a like-minded focus on sustainable self-sufficiency. Many are off-grid, we produce food/fuel/fiber and we barter.

I attended a function a month ago where I heard it called a 'tribe'.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:39 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I would think the two buzzwords that will get law enforcement watching you are "militia" and "groups"
I realize this is accurate, but really, should it be?

The constitution gave militias the duty to keep an eye on govt and if the time ever came if they needed to be removed from power, or tyranny started increasing in Govt, its the militias that were supposed to deal with this.

So really, law enforcement should think very highly of militias, the only reason they would despise militias would be if they are on the side of the tyrannical govt, I could then understand why they would hate the militias.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:06 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I realize this is accurate, but really, should it be?

The constitution gave militias the duty to keep an eye on govt and if the time ever came if they needed to be removed from power, or tyranny started increasing in Govt, its the militias that were supposed to deal with this.

So really, law enforcement should think very highly of militias, the only reason they would despise militias would be if they are on the side of the tyrannical govt, I could then understand why they would hate the militias.
There's no IF about it. They ARE in support of their government paymasters.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:19 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
Quote:
The constitution gave militias the duty to keep an eye on govt and if the time ever came if they needed to be removed from power, or tyranny started increasing in Govt, its the militias that were supposed to deal with this. ...
Tyranny is already underway, in a big way, and the tyrants fear being challenged for their power, that is why they have watch lists, and why, from time to time, they crack down on some groups, or even murder someone outright (since the juries have often gone against them lately).

But, all of that is tangential to the purpose of this thread.

I think a couple of the greatest benefits of military training is the ability to work as a team and some knowledge of how much logistics plays a role in survival.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:13 AM

2,899 posts, read 1,869,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Tyranny is already underway, in a big way, and the tyrants fear being challenged for their power, that is why they have watch lists, and why, from time to time, they crack down on some groups, or even murder someone outright (since the juries have often gone against them lately).

But, all of that is tangential to the purpose of this thread.

I think a couple of the greatest benefits of military training is the ability to work as a team and some knowledge of how much logistics plays a role in survival.

I wish I could give positive reputation for that but I can't yet.

I also dare say the majority of us are already categorised and ranked in government metadata databases....

Well said and I whole heartedly agree with it.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
... So really, law enforcement should think very highly of militias, the only reason they would despise militias would be if they are on the side of the tyrannical govt, I could then understand why they would hate the militias.
In the view of LEOs, militias tend to be un-trained guys that drink beer. Like a hunting club out on their way to 'deer camp'

The second week of deer camp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLnmA653f94

If the local LEO is called to respond to a nuisance call, the last thing he wants to see when he arrives is a bunch of armed men feeling their wheaties.

The Appleseed Project is a great program to train citizens to be good riflemen and to make them knowledgeable of the Constitution. https://appleseedinfo.org/

Every American should take their course, every rifle club offers it. But the result is that it makes people feel they can stand-up to the LEOs.

Consider the 'Battle of Athens' Athens Tennessee, in August 1946.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:03 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Our town is populated with a group of families that are all focused on their own goals and lives. Some are retirees, some work from home, some commute into the city to work, in some homes one spouse works and one spouse stays home, etc.

My Dw and I have found 'community' with a much larger and wider group of people. Some of them live in our town, some live in adjacent towns, some may live 10 towns away. What makes them a community is a like-minded focus on sustainable self-sufficiency. Many are off-grid, we produce food/fuel/fiber and we barter.

I attended a function a month ago where I heard it called a 'tribe'.
That is really cool! Good for you. I would eventually like to move to an even more rural setting, and self-sufficiency. So the people that are "off the grid" generate their own electricity? I would guess wood stoves, are popular for heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness