Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2017, 07:44 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZMpac View Post
2 guns only?

For survival and self-sufficiency I would say a 30-06 because of the cartridge ubiquity, ease of finding reloading components, and versatility.

And a .22 LR.

3 guns?

30-06 for big game and longer-range shooting
.45 ACP Glock for defense
.22 LR for small game

I'm not a huge fan of ARs as they have more moving parts, can jam, and are less accurate than a bolt action rifle. I know, I know, I'm sure there are 438 people viewing this thread who have an AR that can shoot dime-sized groups "all day long".

Just saying if I had the choice for survival and self-sufficiency, bolt action all the way.

If it was more a defense scenario, I want any and every gun that works.

Honestly I wouldn't be averse to a 98 Mauser converted to 30 06 as my long gun pick in place of my AR. Even in the original 8mm if I could get ammo for it. Those rifles are shooters even in stock military trim. I've seen ARS that will run with a bolt action accuracy wise, but a good old bolt is just stuck in my head for serious accuracy as well. A Garand is on my short list as well. Not a bolt but still a serious contender. M1A as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 08:02 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,324,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
A Garand is on my short list as well. Not a bolt but still a serious contender. M1A as well.

There a large amount of M1A carbines in Korea the Korean government would like to sell back to us. I believe the previous U.S. president prevented it.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:24 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,523 times
I have a 98 Mauser, in the original 8mm, and several tins of Romanian steel core ammo for it. I call it my engine block rifle... It hits whatever I point it at. I like that.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:46 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 rainbows View Post
Hi friend ,
I hesitate responding to you on this topic (only), because at this juncture in my 'gun' exploration...
getting a lecture re "get over it" would deter me, from getting it together...
Surely you get the drift.
I think learning this is valuable, but I need to take it slow. - How many resourceful folks you mentioned here are PATIENT ??

of course.

I've looked, & even found upcoming class dates.
Then family & friends point out: "Um, you are a softie you know.
You can Not point a gun at someone, unless you are willing to DEFEND yourself & others. Because
the enemy will get it away from you, & kill you. You must be willing to pull the trigger."

Since I gave up on TV ages ago, wasting time watching more! violence, than what is on the news every second of the day, is counter-productive. And doesn't give me any actual experience.

Um, until am prepared, with the confidence that I can trust myself to carry through...
"concealed carry permit" is not what I should be doing.

No. we live in another of those states where the police think that guns kill people,
even if it's only laying there, with no-one touching it. So 'guns aren't safe in public hands.'
what idiots!!
Agreed on gun-handling, & shooting-time... at bulls eyes Surely I can do that as the day is long.

3 main fears:
1. scopes If an enemy has you in their sites from a mile away,
when you can not even be aware of their presence, what's the point of having 1, or 4 guns?
2. Surprise-attacks in your face :
do you guys sleep with your guns under your pillow?
3. Stoopid shows with 4-8 people killing each other in same room in under 3 seconds, also don't help.

For having gone way off-topic, or off-target as it were, Forgive me.
Maybe a separate psych thread on gun-use would be appropriate.
1. Most people with a scope on their rifle know next to nothing about hitting a target from distance, many can hardly get the point of bullet impact and the center of the crosshairs to coincide, much less even begin to start twisting knobs or understand the use of a mil-dot reticle. The few who can do these things are much more likely to be your friend than your foe. We generally care about our fellow humans, at least the decent ones, and would be far more interested in helping our neighbors than in sniping them for fun or the little bit of supplies they might have. The guy to watch out for is the one with the safe full of evil-looking semiauto rifles and no food. Or the guy with the .22 rifle and several hungry kids at home. Fear the hungry, not the competent.

2. I do sleep with a pistol on my nightstand, a shotgun under the bed, a dog at the foot of the bed, and two more outside. My wife is similarly equipped on her side of the bed. It's a short walk to the rest of the armory, and then the real fun begins. Every room of my house is a panic room, mostly because the intruder is likely to panic in any of them once they realize the crapstorm they broke into... To make matters worse, I carry a pistol and two spare mags, and sometimes a second pistol as a backup, every day, and all day. I learned years ago that life does not warn of impending trouble, you just have to be as ready as you can, and deal with it as it comes. We don't get to pick the fight, we just have to be ready to give a good accounting of ourselves in whatever fight comes our way. I sleep light, always have, but my wife sleeps great...

3. It ain't all in the stoopid shows. A man recently took out three armed robbers in a shoe store in Nashville by himself when they entered the store shooting. That takes a cool head, and skills. They should give him a medal. Also, a cop in Arlington, Texas killed two moslems who arrived with "assault" rifles to murder the attendees at an event, with his service handgun, and saved the day. He did his job well. Or the Ghurka soldier on a bus in India last year who killed 17 moslems who boarded the bus he was on and started attacking passengers. He killed them all with his kukri, a type of knife the Ghurkas carry. Sometimes, life tosses you more than one perp at a time, and you better have the skills and mindset to handle them, or you will be handled yourself.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:14 PM

83 posts, read 95,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZMpac View Post
2 guns only?

For survival and self-sufficiency I would say a 30-06 because of the cartridge ubiquity, ease of finding reloading components, and versatility.

And a .22 LR.

3 guns?

30-06 for big game and longer-range shooting
.45 ACP Glock for defense
.22 LR for small game

I'm not a huge fan of ARs as they have more moving parts, can jam, and are less accurate than a bolt action rifle. I know, I know, I'm sure there are 438 people viewing this thread who have an AR that can shoot dime-sized groups "all day long".

Just saying if I had the choice for survival and self-sufficiency, bolt action all the way.

If it was more a defense scenario, I want any and every gun that works.
I'm in agreement with you on the AR platform, maybe for different reasons. I'm not a carbine guy and the AR15 rifle is heavy and IMHO not well balanced for packing in the field all day for sport.

I've generally moderated down to .357/38 in both pistol and lever action rifles. Plenty of push and cartridge selection in the 158gr range and even the 180gr hardcast from Buffalo Bore is pretty darn impressive.

As a huge variety of people have said .22LR is almost a no-brainer. Pound for pound and dollar for dollar you can, with perfect placement do a lot at close range.

12 gauge would follow third. Dove to goose. Deer and larger with slugs.

So there's my three and a lot has to do with weight and carrying balance.

Regarding bolts vs. autoloaders. I get that. I have seldom had a jam in my Browning autos in 12 or 20 gauge in years of bird hunting and never a jam or -miss-feed from my BAR in 30-06. That said, bolt action is sensible and reliable if the hardware is sound.

Regarding .22LR - I imagine anyone shooting a Marlin 60 or similar that claims to never have had a jam or miss-feed is smoking something they are not sharing. However they are pretty reliable overall. I do also like the resurgence of the hi-capacity .22LR wheel guns, however the prices are silly expensive.

However...it's been quite a few years since I hunted anything. With the craigslist quality of drink and shoot over the hill or at anything hunters we seem to attract as well as regulatory stuff, plus the wife has had no time to train another dog (she does a good job) - well we have let it slide - yet I digress.

357/22/12

Old 04-27-2017, 11:40 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,171,303 times
Quote:

3 main fears:
1. scopes If an enemy has you in their sites from a mile away,
when you can not even be aware of their presence, what's the point of having 1, or 4 guns?
2. Surprise-attacks in your face :
do you guys sleep with your guns under your pillow?
3. Stoopid shows with 4-8 people killing each other in same room in under 3 seconds, also don't help.

For having gone way off-topic, or off-target as it were, Forgive me.
Maybe a separate psych thread on gun-use would be appropriate.
1. There are very few people that can pull off the mile long shot. DOn't fear this.

2. I do not sleep with a gun under my pillow. When it is my time to go, it is my time to go.

3. stupid shows are what you say...stupid.

Taking a concealed carry course, doesn't mean you have to conceal carry. It is a great way to build confidence.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:18 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Hi friend ,
I hesitate responding to you on this topic (only), because at this juncture in my 'gun' exploration...
getting a lecture re "get over it" would deter me, from getting it together...
Surely you get the drift.
I think learning this is valuable, but I need to take it slow. - How many resourceful folks you mentioned here are PATIENT ??

of course.

I've looked, & even found upcoming class dates.
Then family & friends point out: "Um, you are a softie you know.
You can Not point a gun at someone, unless you are willing to DEFEND yourself & others. Because
the enemy will get it away from you, & kill you. You must be willing to pull the trigger.".
You came here looking for information. The resources I listed for you would give you a good start in that direction. No, you won't find a group of guys bantering among themselves about guns on an internet forum to be "patient", as a rule. They mean well, but this is not where you should be looking for education on firearms. By all means, learn what you can from the posts here or elsewhere, but you will not be serious until you take steps on your own end.

If you are not serious, you should not even consider getting involved with firearms.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:15 AM

678 posts, read 438,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
You came here looking for information.
The resources I listed for you would give you a good start in that direction.
No, you won't find a group of guys bantering among themselves about guns on an internet forum to be "patient", as a rule.
They mean well, but this is not where you should be looking for education on firearms.
The 'real-life' instructors teaching the classes you suggest, is who I asked about them being patient.
And btw,
(except liberal agitators), most SS-posters I've found Caring, Kind & mighty congenial... & why I Rep as the system allows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
By all means, learn what you can from the posts here or elsewhere,
but you will not be serious until you take steps on your own end.
If you are not serious, you should not even consider getting involved with firearms.
Well, only from reading some posts, & not actually knowing a person in real-life, you really can't know said person.
and
re 'serious': often I'm told to "Lighten up" re serious issues, because of other's abuses of me.
I have learned to take everything 'seriously', particularly my responsibilities...

I will stop posting now in this thread. ~ Thanks to everyone who was kind to me here.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:55 AM

136 posts, read 129,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
Maybe not. The .338 tends to be more of a push, whereas your .300 is more of a jab. Also depends on the bullet weight, load, and the weight and stock design of the rifle. For instance, a Kimber .300 will smack you, where a Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in .338 will be more of a strong push. One caliber may have more ft. lbs. of recoil, but the impulse is different, and different weapons will often FEEL entirely different when firing the same caliber and load.
Interesting, I've heard this before as well. The 300 win mag is sharp, especially with anything over 180 gr. I'm not a small man and I can only shoot about 20 rounds with anything 180 or heavier.

I've heard the 375 is more of a big push like you said, whereas some of the ultra mags are a sharp jab.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:01 PM

178 posts, read 173,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
No, it is not "all about." Thrust pays an important role. Bullet weight (actually mass) and velocity allow a rough but useful comparison among loads, but that alone doesn't allow us to actually calculate recoil. There's an excellent explanation in this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Understanding...ing+ballistics
The recoil takes effect long before the Bullet leaves the barrel and has everything to do with the mass of the bullet.
Try a little experiment if you dont believe. Pull a bullet and crimp the case. Insert it and pull the trigger. You will get sort of a woosh and that is all. Very little force.
The reaction force is caused by the force of the gasses on the BULLET.
The force has already been felt by the time the bullet leaves the barrel and the gasses that can be used for something like a muzzle break have already imparted their force on the bullet and on your shoulder.
From that point is is simply a release of the pressure.
Bone up on your calculus and physics Happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness