Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2017, 09:03 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,010,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
There are certain states with high costs of living where 59K homes won't be found, but in others you can still find them, and they will be smaller and outdated, but the plumbing and electrical and roof will be okay to move in, especially if you get an FHA loan all of this will have to pass inspection beforehand. You can still find $50K homes in parts of the south such as in areas of Florida and the surrounding states and even in the middle of the country and Ohio. Prices are going up as the deals from the housing crash are going back up, I know in my area you can't find homes in that price range anymore unless it's a mobile home, but you may be able to drive an hour north and find a decent home.
$50k houses in decent shape, are abundant in small towns throughout the lower midwest and south. But one better have a source of income independent of the local economy, there are no jobs. Having stated that, I don't think $800 a month income will get you into a $50k house, unless you're a cash buyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 09:17 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
" There are truly evil people, there are people who are addicted, there are people suffering from PTSD, there are people who have various breaks with reality, there are people who are just not smart enough to care for themselves. All of those are on the streets. "

I have taken tender care of the homeless all throughout my professional life. You hear 'homeless' in nurse report, think OMG gezz a bum and you go in there and its just another sick person. While running an entire hospital at night I went out behind the building and found them in the bushes shivering in the rain, wiped their noses and gave them blankets and hot coffee. Later I volunteered at ARCH in Austin Texas. Look it up.

What I am burned out on is the vast number of those described above. Something needs to be done before we spiral down to the level of a third world country.
As you can see I live in Seattle , you MUST deal with the homeless daily here at work or not. Most are very sick or unemployed or got a divorce like this lady the op posted - some like the lifestyle true , but many studies have been done and you should know it is common knowledge that the spectre and having to LIVE like that for people who were normal citizens before can easily cause some one to become addicted to be able to manage that sort of lifestyle . Turns into a vicious cycle .

Old 12-07-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Please try to understand that there are some people, given all the compassion in the world, will NOT change and have zero gratitude for any compassion. All they understand is in the bottom of a bottle, or the end of a syringe. They will NOT work, will NOT help themselves, and will NOT respect your rights.
Yes I am aware I have a 31 yr old son like that sadly but he works and doesn't bother anyone .

A nurse though has to be held to a higher standard than I and they are NOT supposed to judge , no matter . My 4th son is an RN and my oldest daughter a funeral director and if they thought this way they would be fired. They don't thank goodness and they work in a very low income area so they deal with alot .

Old 12-07-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
While the work farms were inhumane and a form of slavery, the reality is that many people who were institutionalized prior to about 1970 were de-institutionalized even though they did not have the skills or mentation to live in the outside world. There was supposed to be money for assisted group living and halfway houses, but that money was either not forthcoming or way too little. I saw this firsthand.

The cost of running the big institutions was more than most states could afford, especially after the Supreme Court ruled that working residents had to be paid minimum wage for their work. (Those big hospital farms [not to be confused with the earlier "poor farms"] were often tended by "patients" who did not still fit the legal definition of insane, but weren't released because their labor was too valuable.)

There are truly evil people, there are people who are addicted, there are people suffering from PTSD, there are people who have various breaks with reality, there are people who are just not smart enough to care for themselves. All of those are on the streets. If idiots like Rubio have their way and don't get shot first, prepare to see a bunch of crippled grandmothers and other seniors joining them. You ain't seen nuttin' yet.

If your hubbie is going into nursing completely starry-eyed, he'll adjust or burn out within a year or two. Sometimes nurses have to be like police officers without a gun.
Yes I have seen everything - When I was out on the streets due to illness + unemployment , I had to turn to the sex trade to get out and I wasn't addicted to anything and as my husband has been a card carrying member of old 81 for 35 years I think he can handle it . Thanks though .

Old 12-07-2017, 11:50 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
My goodness. We are turning into a third world country.

Ross Perot warned us back in 1992 that this would happen. Anybody hear that Giant Sucking Sound?

Old 12-07-2017, 12:20 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
Yes I have seen everything - When I was out on the streets due to illness + unemployment , I had to turn to the sex trade to get out and I wasn't addicted to anything and as my husband has been a card carrying member of old 81 for 35 years I think he can handle it . Thanks though .

I was injured in a nasty motorcycle crash when I was 18. It took me two years before I was anywhere close to "recovered" and even during that time I worked as a dishwasher and other less than upwardly mobile jobs scratching out a living. I got into construction when I was 20 and found my niche in putting pipe together. Did for 35 years before the injury caught back up to me and pretty well flattened me.

My ex took all I had put together in the way of assets and I was all but destitute by the time my disability benefits were approved. I considered one or two less than above board things to try and get back on my feet.

As it stands I can stay afloat, but I'll never see getting ahead again on what my more than honestly purchased SSDI benefit brings. And what I clear after I pay for my medical benefits is considered to be upper level. Lol, yea, I feel so fortunate. I could be worse off, but that is small if any comfort.

When I look at how much I have paid into the SS program over my working career I do wish I could just have that amount back in a lump sum. I could have a comfortable retirement if that were possible. But the government figure they know how to use that money better than I do.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:51 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,418,527 times
I never thought I would hear a nurse refer to a homeless person as a bum. I'll leave it at that.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:30 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
$50k houses in decent shape, are abundant in small towns throughout the lower midwest and south. But one better have a source of income independent of the local economy, there are no jobs. Having stated that, I don't think $800 a month income will get you into a $50k house, unless you're a cash buyer.
Maybe a $40K home then. that would be $189 a month plus insurance and taxes, find a home in a low cost insurance and low property tax area and you are set. Rent out a bedroom to a friend struggling for $400 a month and your mortgage pays for itself.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:19 PM

731 posts, read 678,975 times
Eugene police chief says homeless problem worst he

Old 12-07-2017, 03:53 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
No one would live this kind of life if they didn't have to. .
Actually, you are incorrect when you wrote "no one".

I have a friend who lived in a pick-up with a camper shell on land she owned for quite a while, even though she worked and could have afforded an apartment. As she belonged to a gym, she used their facilities to shower, did her laundry at a laundromat, etc. She saved enough money to eventually buy a house.

She could have made other more conventional choices, but she chose to rough it for a while, and improved her financial health as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness