Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 10:35 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
My MREs get used for hiking as do my dehydrated Mountain House meals. All the other goods either have late 2021 or 2022 dates.
This is all too weird as just a week or so ago, my wife and I were watching MRE taste tests on YouTube...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 01:17 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,283,043 times
I buy what I use, a little extra at a time, so I already had like 2 weeks before the news footage of empty shelves even started.

Right now I got:

35x cans Tuna
3x large PB jars
3x regular PB jars
11x boxes of cereal
12x gallons of water
24x liter bottles of water
24x cans peas or corn
Axe
Machete
2x boot knives
250 matches
2x oven lighters
6x cigarette lighters (I don't smoke)

Disclosure: I do live in an urban area, and cannot readily move to a rural area, however I have always believed in the value of preparation; nit just of resources but, of knowledge and skills. So I hope that is enough to avoid the bulk of the crowd fighting that will inevitable occur due to desperation from income loss.

If you have advice I, and maybe others, would be glad to hear it.

Old 03-18-2020, 01:35 AM

157 posts, read 93,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
I keep hearing crickets. Where is all the social media and comments that make fun of preppers and survivalists? It seems to have all disappeared over the last few weeks. All I hear are crickets.
I'm not a prepper, but I've always wanted to be. I have said for years that I think you guys are smart. (I also think those people who use coupons like crazy at the grocery store are also on to something.) People are scared of extremes. I happen to be drawn to them.

At any rate, if nothing else, this situation has allowed me to "prep" more than I have in the past, with complete agreement from my other half. We didn't wait until the last minute - we saw this coming and started several weeks ago - so we are in better shape right now than many. But yeah, I've been a longtime secret admirer of your work.

Old 03-18-2020, 03:23 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,121,214 times
I'm a single guy and shop at Sam's and Costco, so that right there makes me a prepper! Lol

I usually only buy sale items on top of that. I often buy the limit which means four cases of whatever at a time. 50# bag of rice...I'll get two. 3 pack of Lifestraws...two packs please...etc..

Old 03-18-2020, 06:21 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
I'm a single guy and shop at Sam's and Costco, so that right there makes me a prepper! Lol

I usually only buy sale items on top of that. I often buy the limit which means four cases of whatever at a time. 50# bag of rice...I'll get two. 3 pack of Lifestraws...two packs please...etc..
The good news for a single person at Costco is that one pack of toilet paper will last you a year.

Old 03-18-2020, 10:29 AM

Costco in my area is now limiting people coming in to 250 at a time, and only operating alternate checkout lanes to help with social distancing. Strict limits on some items to 1 per member. I picked up some more paper towels as they had a ton in stock and it's something I will need in the next couple of weeks anyway.

Oh, and they're still out of TP.

Old 03-18-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
This is all too weird as just a week or so ago, my wife and I were watching MRE taste tests on YouTube...
My Sopako MRE cases just came today. Bonus - they're low sodium which I was hoping for but not promised. Just need to check the inspection date and see if they will rotate in before my existing supply or after.

Paid around $2 extra a MRE than I normally would but now I'm totally set. I could self-quarantine for a solid month with my family and we'd be fine although the kids would be complaining about food selection by the end.

Old 03-18-2020, 10:53 AM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
I keep hearing crickets. Where is all the social media and comments that make fun of preppers and survivalists? It seems to have all disappeared over the last few weeks. All I hear are crickets.
I will readily admit this was, at the very least, another massive wake up call to just how fragile the global economic system is.(other one being 2008)

Someone literally ate or dissected an infected bat in China, and now here we are. So I do give props to those who were prepared all along.

It really goes to show you that economic downturns could happen at any moment, and to always be fully stocked on virus related essentials. People are buying everything from gas masks and bidets, to ammunition and hair clippers.

Old 03-18-2020, 10:59 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Someone literally ate or dissected an infected bat in China, and now here we are. So I do give props to those who were prepared all along.
Some hunter cut himself while butchering an ape, then went to town and visited a prostitute, and we got HIV/AIDS.

Sick Chickens and Pigs, led to SARS and H1N1.

Old 03-18-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I will readily admit this was, at the very least, another massive wake up call to just how fragile the global economic system is.(other one being 2008)

It really goes to show you that economic downturns could happen at any moment, and to always be fully stocked on virus related essentials. People are buying everything from gas masks and bidets, to ammunition and hair clippers.
Again, there's preparing, and then there's being a prepper. I'm in the former camp but do respect the latter.

Aside from the poor who live day to day, everyone should have a basic shelter, food and water plan. All I did was take my previous hurricane plan that I used when I lived in FL and expanded it a bit.

I've been reading blogs from people who are just now waking up to the fact that their pantries are empty and they're panicking because the stores are out of TP and fresh bread. Silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness