Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 01:10 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,220,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Real preppers are more concerned about how many people they can help and not about accentuating an "I told you so" with an exclamation mark.
Well said.

Our group's data indicates we can save about 2,500 people. Maybe a hundred or two more. Out of 1 Million people in the county, that sucks, but that's the best we can do. If other groups in the area formulated solid plans, maybe 10,000 to 20,000. Really can't do much better than that, but at least we'd have a few solid communities that could work together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Sure, *some* places may still see stuff on the shelves now, and no issues with supply, but farmers are reporting that they have no workers to harvest their crops, which are going to rot in the fields as their harvest dates begin arriving in the next few days and weeks. Crops rotting in the fields now means empty shelves not long in the future.
You bring up a good point favoring the banning of GMO crops.

Think about it. If we let them run amok, they will engineer all crops to be seedless to coerce everyone to buy seeds from them.

If something happens, then what? You can't buy seeds from them if they ain't around because of some calamity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 08:48 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,734,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You bring up a good point favoring the banning of GMO crops.

Think about it. If we let them run amok, they will engineer all crops to be seedless to coerce everyone to buy seeds from them.

If something happens, then what? You can't buy seeds from them if they ain't around because of some calamity.
It's the same with bottled water. If we let them run amok, they will bottle all the water and coerce everyone to buy water from them.

If something happens, then what? You can't buy water from them if they ain't around because of some calamity.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:57 AM

4,417 posts, read 4,941,908 times
"You bring up a good point favoring the banning of GMO crops.

Think about it. If we let them run amok, they will engineer all crops to be seedless to coerce everyone to buy seeds from them."

Misinformation. Name ONE GMO crop that has the "terminator" modification. Corn and soybeans are probably the most widely grown GMO crops and the part that is harvested is the seeds and they are not sterile.

All the "seedless" fruits etc that are available are made by traditional non-GMO cross breeding. We've grown seedless melons before. It requires a separate hybrid pollinating melon to be grown with the fruiters in order to make the seedless fruit. No GMO.

Old 04-26-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
"You bring up a good point favoring the banning of GMO crops.

Think about it. If we let them run amok, they will engineer all crops to be seedless to coerce everyone to buy seeds from them."

Misinformation. Name ONE GMO crop that has the "terminator" modification. Corn and soybeans are probably the most widely grown GMO crops and the part that is harvested is the seeds and they are not sterile.

All the "seedless" fruits etc that are available are made by traditional non-GMO cross breeding. We've grown seedless melons before. It requires a separate hybrid pollinating melon to be grown with the fruiters in order to make the seedless fruit. No GMO.
Seedless varieties are propagated vegetatively. Want seedless grapes? Take a cutting. Want seedless citrus? Take a cutting. Want a reliable, guaranteed female pot plant? Take a cutting. Frankenfoodies are just weird, totally disconnected from reality.

Old 04-26-2020, 04:18 PM

4,417 posts, read 4,941,908 times
I don't have a problem with the concept of GMO food, I just don't like how it's been applied. When they were only "talking about them" in the 1970's they said stuff like, one day "we" will genetically modify a tree so that you plant an acorn and it grows into a house and grows a nutritionally complete fruit to feed the family living inside. It would even take up and purify ground water to provide us drinking water. And all the old growth forests would be saved because lumber would be obsolete. What did we get? Roundup ready crops. We GMO'd plants specifically so we could dump more toxins onto the planet. That is the opposite of saving the forests.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I don't have a problem with the concept of GMO food, I just don't like how it's been applied. When they were only "talking about them" in the 1970's they said stuff like, one day "we" will genetically modify a tree so that you plant an acorn and it grows into a house and grows a nutritionally complete fruit to feed the family living inside. It would even take up and purify ground water to provide us drinking water. And all the old growth forests would be saved because lumber would be obsolete. What did we get? Roundup ready crops. We GMO'd plants specifically so we could dump more toxins onto the planet. That is the opposite of saving the forests.
Roundup-ready means we can substantially cut chemical applications. Roundup-ready is popular with farmers because it can save them $100 or $200 an acre in chemicals. No more pre-emerge, post-emerge, growing season weed killer and mechanical cultivation, just let the crops get established and give them a shot of roundup. One application instead of 3 or 4 applications of much more toxic chemicals.

Your house scenario sounds like bad science fiction. Nobody ever seriously anticipated growing a house from seed.

Old 04-28-2020, 10:04 AM

885 posts, read 1,170,529 times
you don't even need to be a "prepper".

We buy TP or paper towels on sale and always have a supply.

With winter in NYS ( and maybe days to dig yourself out), we keep food in the house and buy on sale so we always have stuff, even if just canned or pasta, same with pet food,

I'm a nurse so I always have things for boo-boos, even larger ones since we live on a 103 ac farm,

we know how to do things just because we LIKE doing them, we have gardens and fruit trees, chickens, etc.

PPl in general just have to stop living under a rock....the world is not going to take care of you....take care of yourself, you may find you like doing it...

Old 04-29-2020, 09:20 PM

16 posts, read 9,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
we know how to do things just because we LIKE doing them, we have gardens and fruit trees, chickens, etc.

PPl in general just have to stop living under a rock....the world is not going to take care of you....take care of yourself, you may find you like doing it...
^ this

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Old 04-30-2020, 07:34 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,649,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The Cidiots fighting over TP, food and cleaning supplies. The same people calling us gun nuts, hoarders, rednecks. We are self sufficient and survive this stuff every time it has happened in history. Did they not pay attention in history class?
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Don't expect any of them to learn from this either.

I was born and raised in New York City. I can't tell you how much the common notion of "We embrace everyone! But not those Hill Billy, Redneck, Inbred, incest Cousin-youknowwhat!" My uncle ended up with a lady deep in Pennsylvania, in the country, rural areas. A "redneck" if you will. We would go over to the house, have lots of open land, space, ride horses, do lots of backwood activity. It was a blast! And the evil "rednecks" where some of the nicest folk I'd encounter. Plus I learned so many self reliance skills, some of my fondest memories. Being a Puerto Rican kid from the ghetto, hanging out with redneck country ghetto kids. Getting back to the city, it would bother me to see how much of an aquarium people in the city lived in. And the amount of vitriol and pre conceived notions city slickers had about country folk was quite disheartening. The people whom were so "open minded" never had anything good to say about country folk but could never hunt for their own food! And never realized that those very people they bash, are the same people whom are the backbone of their country.

Old 05-09-2020, 02:27 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,841,910 times
It works the other way too Lital. Country folk impugning city folks. Maybe people should just lay off the insults of people they don't know or who's lives they don't understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness