Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 08:44 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The Cidiots fighting over TP, food and cleaning supplies. The same people calling us gun nuts, hoarders, rednecks. We are self sufficient and survive this stuff every time it has happened in history. Did they not pay attention in history class?
I have to admit, I'm tired of hearing people whine about toilet paper. They should use cloth the way that many other non-consumerists have for years now. I don't feel sorry for people who whine about these things. They are not resourceful at all, most are very stupid and act helpless. They even can't cook their own food, as I have seen many people in sit-down restaurants as recent as yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 09:30 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
I'm a pretty smart guy. Two college degrees and a lifetime of experience in the real world. I can't get my head around this toilet paper hoarding.

The toilet is right next to the shower. If you don't have toilet paper get in the shower and a hot soapy washcloth takes care of business.

Then you wash the washcloth and, ta da, you have a RPHA (reusable personal hygiene accessory).

Old 03-19-2020, 09:43 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,035,578 times
Even a broken clock is correct once or twice a day

Old 03-19-2020, 10:45 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
I'd say the person gloating looks pretty guilty of the topic in question. Carry on.

Old 03-20-2020, 01:40 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,991,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
...And I fail to understand why you use stuff from your imagination as fact!

Having insurance is prepping.
Having a fire extinguisher and smoke detectors is prepping.
Having cash on you all the time is prepping.
Having AAA is prepping.
Having an extra can of gas is prepping.
Having more than a few weeks worth of supplies of any kind is prepping.
Having an extra credit card in your car is prepping.
Having 3-6 months of essential bill money in the bank is prepping.
This^

There are tiers to being prepared also, you have named a lot of the common ones that everybody should follow if they are smart.

Smug A-holes that mock being prepared likely view most "preppers" as a bunch of right wing goobers hiding in the woods with a stock pile of guns (and 600 cans of beans).

Prepping for a likely scenario makes sense, particular to ones own situation.

I learned the hard way years ago after losing power from a hurricane for over 20 days. Of course there was a run on portable generators (and being an island, nowhere else to get one), so most of us just suffered without lights, refrigeration (or A/C in the summer tropics) while we helplessly waited on the utilities to be restored.

I prepared for this likely event happening again by buying a generator that fit my budget, and setting up my house electrical panel to be back fed for critical circuits. Guess what? Living in a hurricane zone, we lost power again for several days the next year.

My house stood out with my lights on for sure. Neighbors started asking for refrigerator space and the cold beers I had. That got me thinking about black out curtains and a quieter generator. See how that works?

I was learning from my experiences, not mocking others.

Hurricane Maria really socked it to them a couple years ago again. It was obvious a lot of people had still not taken steps to prepare for it.

Last edited by snebarekim; 03-20-2020 at 02:32 AM..

Old 03-20-2020, 02:29 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,991,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I'm a non-prepper, and I actually think this experience has shown me how absurd prepping is. This is a once-in-a-lifetime sort of virus, which is the very sort of thing preppers prep for. And guess what? Thus far, the system has mostly worked. Sure, there might be a temporary difficulty in getting some things like toilet paper or milk, but the supply chain is still very much in place.

No part of me thinks "Man, the effort and expense that preppers undergo to be prepared for this sort of thing would have been worth it."

I live in a city that has had coronavirus deaths, and I can still go to the store and buy groceries. I still have about a month's worth of food at my house right now. Your SHTF scenario is happening, and it's doing nothing but proving that preppers have been wasting their time.
Did you think it was a good idea to drop in here and display your "urban intellect"?

Granted, runs on toilet paper don't make sense, but scoffing at people that do prep, while claiming to be a non prepper is arrogant and just downright dopey. TP is down my list of priorities to prep for, but I am not going to ridicule people that are stocking it.

I'm not paranoid or stupid by:

1- Owning firearms, as my house is somewhat isolated and on a big plot. I travel for work and my wife is sometimes there alone. This is protection, not paranoia. She knows how to handle them safely. I also have secure doors and window treatments, and an UPS backed, wired CCTV based alarm system so I can see whats happening at entry points and common areas around my home from inside. I installed it all myself. I can also check on my home when away via smart phone apps if I want to. Practical as heck, and I get a home insurance discount for the CCTV and alarms.

2- Having a back up generator (my house is in a mountainous area, and power goes out on occasion). I store extra fuel for this outside of my house in a locked, secure shed.

3-Plans on having partial solar for specific loads also, since it is free power and my house is in a very sunny state. My ROI will be quick, as I will do the work myself.

4- Catching rain water which I irrigate with, but I can also save, filter, and drink if needed. I live in an arid region.

5- Stocking food with a long shelf life.

6- Purchasing a 4 seat UTV, and making it street legal. We can get socked in with snow, and I can still get to the stores in town. I can also use it to get out of town, not using roads if I needed to. In between it is a fun recreational vehicle.

7- Knowing my one close neighbor well, and her capabilities. Although a widow who lives alone and in her mid 60's, she is not helpless. We trust each other, and know we could go to each other for help.

8- Keeping my first response type medical training current, and having the NAC kits where I may need them. I have a kit in my car, and if I am the first at a car accident or other common occurrence, I can help others.

None of this is absurd, too expensive to be out of my budget (the UTV was used), or unsustainable.

If something does happen like a sustained power outage, don't come knocking on my door. You will be sent packing if you have nothing to offer. These preps are for me and mine, not "intellectual urban sophisticates".

Last edited by snebarekim; 03-20-2020 at 03:35 AM..

Old 03-20-2020, 03:30 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
It's obvious that the National Security Council really needed a pandemic response team. I'm still not sure this pandemic is natural. It may be a biological warfare attack that caught us flat footed. They say there are two strains of CV-19, one more virulent that the other. Poor little Italy obviously got the bad bug. They have more fatalities than China, and the USA is leading with its chin. We're about to be flattened and our economy wrecked. Children get infected but don't display symptoms. They are little petri dishes that infect their families. That's a hell of a weapon design. Say goodbye to Grandpa, with all his skills and knowledge, while throwing the West into a second Great Depression.

Old 03-20-2020, 04:28 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
It's obvious that the National Security Council really needed a pandemic response team. I'm still not sure this pandemic is natural. It may be a biological warfare attack that caught us flat footed. They say there are two strains of CV-19, one more virulent that the other. Poor little Italy obviously got the bad bug. They have more fatalities than China, and the USA is leading with its chin. We're about to be flattened and our economy wrecked. Children get infected but don't display symptoms. They are little petri dishes that infect their families. That's a hell of a weapon design. Say goodbye to Grandpa, with all his skills and knowledge, while throwing the West into a second Great Depression.
If China was the one that unleashed it intentionally they just shot themselves in the foot. They NEED 6% annual growth or more to pay for all their infrastructure development and they are facing a 40% DECLINE for 2020.

While I can’t be 100% sure, it is far more likely that this was caused by what created SARS - animals that normally don’t meet in the wild all caged together in close proximity with humans.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:00 AM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I have to admit, I'm tired of hearing people whine about toilet paper. They should use cloth the way that many other non-consumerists have for years now. I don't feel sorry for people who whine about these things. They are not resourceful at all, most are very stupid and act helpless. They even can't cook their own food, as I have seen many people in sit-down restaurants as recent as yesterday.
I never realized how many are so helpless until I supported a call center. People that don't know how to cook. I mean at all. It is hard for them to even run a microwave to reheat their dine outs. I'm talking about a yeast base in my fridge and to them I may as well be talking about quantum physics. Yeast? What's that. Their parents need slapped.

You have access to a washing machine. You can wipe your butt with cloth, wash it and do it again.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:32 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
What have preppers done that has proven beneficial during the current crisis? Nothing.

There is no need for guns, there is no issue with food supply chains, and there is no reason to go into a bunker.

If someone wants to spend all their money on prepper stuff, have at it. But obviously it's weird to the 98% of the population that is saving for their kids college rather than preparing for a zombie apocalypse.

Also, having a generator has nothing to do with being a prepper. Anyone who experiences regular power outages should at least have a generator for sump and fridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness