Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 09:06 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Why do you think felons should be denied firearms? Realize that "because it's illegal" is circular logic and invalid.

I do think violent felons should be denied firearms. I couldn't care less about nonviolent felons.

Severe mental problems are not even an issue. By law, psychiatric treatment is secret. You aren't going to make psychiatric intervention public record unless the supreme court overturns Roe v. Wade.
I'm not sure that all felons should be denied access to firearms, certainly I agree those convicted of violent crimes should. Those that have, without violence, demonstrated a significant disregard for the well being of others within our society by committing crimes may or may not be suitable to possess guns. Perhaps the time factor should be considered also.

Your reference to Roe v. Wade as determinant in competency is confusing at best and your claim that "psychiatric treatment is secret" by law only partially correct. The courts have always had the power to determine culpability regarding mental health. Many people have not even gone to trial for their heinous acts because they are deemed to have significant mental defects. Do you suggest they should have access to firearms if they are released to the community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 01:33 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,407,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
That's the thing- people who are mobbing gun stores and emptying shelves of toilet paper and whatever are *not* 'preppers, they are people who were UNPREPARED, caught with their pants down and now in 'panic mode'.

*Real* 'preppers', people who are actually *already* prepared for various scenarios (whatever their probability rating) simply sat (are sitting) back, relatively relaxed and secure in the knowledge that they have what it takes to ride out this event for some period of time. They already have their TP, food, water, energy, guns, ammo, etc., and plans/provisions for enduring longer term scenarios, they didn't/don't need to go running out to 'stock-up' on stuff.

As far as shortages, I went out one day this past week to pick up some 'Crazy Glue' and a few other odds and ends (for projects that I want to get to while I am not risking my life at my 'job' producing luxury products for wealthy people)...and I can say that not all areas have no disruptions to the supply chain. Shelves have been bare of not just TP, but canned goods, flour, rice, beans (canned and dry), and some meats. I observed some of this myself, and talked to people working in some establishments who said that they were uncertain as to when any re-stocking would occur. Fresh vegetables and snack foods appeared plentiful, however.

I see some people posting things that seem to be saying that this is really a 'non-event'. That is crazy-talk. This is serious, and it has only just begun. It has the capacity to get much, much worse- *especially* if people don't start taking it seriously. Infections are rising, death tolls are rising, health care and law enforcement cases are rising, which removes them from their jobs and prevents them from assisting in both disease-stricken people and others experiencing other emergencies. I have already seen reports of law enforcement no longer responding to 9-1-1 calls, and medical personnel responding to emergencies where, if the victim does not have a pulse, no efforts are made in regards to resuscitation or other treatment and transport to a hospital.

Sure, *some* places may still see stuff on the shelves now, and no issues with supply, but farmers are reporting that they have no workers to harvest their crops, which are going to rot in the fields as their harvest dates begin arriving in the next few days and weeks. Crops rotting in the fields now means empty shelves not long in the future. People have got to stop acting stupid. Things are not going to go back to 'normal' next week. Things are not going to go back to 'normal' next month.

If people don't get smart, this could very well get a lot worse- health-care facilities overloaded, people dying in the streets, crops rotting and food supplies being reduced, health and law enforcement agencies unable to respond...and then the 'preppers' are *really* going to start looking smart, and those who are unprepared will become angry, because they were not...

Think it can't happen? Think again.
Source please? I probably have more ammo and guns than most of you so called preppers, unless you're living off the land your efforts are futile

Old 04-06-2020, 08:50 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
Source please? I probably have more ammo and guns than most of you so called preppers, unless you're living off the land your efforts are futile
I haven't been in a store since this started and won't be for quite some time. How is that "futile" when your biggest chance of scoring this virus will be with other people scavenging for TP at multiple stores a day. Is the whole Covid thing a hoax?

Old 04-06-2020, 09:38 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,801,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
If a law existed that I believed was wrong I would work for its repeal.
What if you lived in a state where there was absolutely zero chance to get the law changed? Would you still comply willingly? Or just ignore it/fight it?

Old 04-06-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
What if you lived in a state where there was absolutely zero chance to get the law changed? Would you still comply willingly? Or just ignore it/fight it?
Ammo ban law. Ya, no one is going to roll with that stupidity. I have to pass a bgc for a firearm already. I'm not doing it again (paying for it) for the damn ammo too.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:47 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,801,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ammo ban law. Ya, no one is going to roll with that stupidity. I have to pass a bgc for a firearm already. I'm not doing it again (paying for it) for the damn ammo too.
Nope.....there is no reason to buy ammo in California ever again. Or guns for that matter......

Old 04-06-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Nope.....there is no reason to buy ammo in California ever again. Or guns for that matter......
They forgot about the loophole where people in other States simply purchase it and ship it to us. Or like me, reload like a machine. I better slow down or I'll have to actually purchase more stuff to load with.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:08 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times
Quote:
That depends on how crushing it was to my life. I might just move if it was truly "absolutely zero chance" for change but I don't quit that easily.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:26 PM

I may have to go "near" a store for chicken feed. Otherwise, nope. My chickens are plumpers and going crazy in the Spring eating.

Old 04-22-2020, 07:19 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I may have to go "near" a store for chicken feed. Otherwise, nope. My chickens are plumpers and going crazy in the Spring eating.
I have thought about building a big chicken tractor and pulling it around with the Kubota. This time of year the bugs are grass would make chicken feed unnecessary. In the old days I thought it would be too much hassle for what I would get out of it, but nowadays what the hell else am I doing with my time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness