Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 08:43 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Quite honestly, I don't see how anyone could be around either the military or the prepper community for long without knowing that term. Makes me wonder what his background really is....
I know him personally, he's a good guy, just has some....unique....perspectives on some subjects.

We've gone hunting and fishing together, he and his son stayed at my cabin. Very decent guy for the most part.
You just don't want to talk politics with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 09:02 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
Quote:
I know him personally, he's a good guy, just has some....unique....perspectives on some subjects.
Well, I didn't make a note about why, as I usually do, when I put him on ignore.
Quote:
Well, that might be it, but I don't usually put someone on ignore because I disagree with them, I usually do it because I don't find any value in what they say. I have even put a couple of people on ignore, that I agree with, simply because 80% of their posts all say the same thing.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:58 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Here's my take on the issue:

There is actually too much of certain kinds of food which is generating some of the misinformation out there. The food for the restaurant supply chain has nowhere to go. Americans don't buy the quantities of fresh ingredients restaurants do in grocery stores (they tend to buy processed food) so farmers are plowing those crops into the fields because they don't have buyers for them. It's not because they can't find pickers. The absence of some items in grocery stores is because people who previously ate at restaurants are having to make their own meals. This is a temporary logistical hiccup. Prices are going up because stores know they don't have to run sales when there are no restaurants to go to. The stores are also paying their workers more during the pandemic and offering sick leave that they never offered before. These costs are getting passed onto the consumer.

A few meat packing facilities have temporarily closed but they represent about 5% of the production. Meat prices will go up because China is buying AG products again and the stores have higher labor costs. The pigs aren't going to disappear they are just getting larger. The "food" hasn't gone anywhere.

Seeds for home gardeners are hard to find because people are gardening like never before. Home gardeners don't buy seeds from the same supply chains that commercial agriculture does, and they don't grow the same variety of plants. It's not even legal to sell GMO seeds to the public.

I'm not suggesting that there is no famine in the future. I would have no way of knowing. But the reasons mentioned in this thread need to be tempered with the facts of what is happening right now.
Here is the problem

The news media sensationalized everything. From shortages to the virus. The politicians we have are at this point acting like little kings...er I mean governors in their kingdoms...I mean states.
Media says meatvpavking plants are shutting down. But they aren’t saying it’s a small percentage abd we gave millions of pounds of meat in cold storage. So people flip out and run and buy two Miss Piggys, one Norman the cow along with a few Big Birds and jam them all in the freezer. Now multiply that with millions of purchases and hello food shortage. It’s no different when TP and water was ....hell is not available.

Another problem....once this SIP order is lifted restaurants may be limited in their offerings. Since farmers plowed over their crops there may be a shortage. Since other countries are doing the same thing you may very well have some food shortages in certain things.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:04 AM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
You were military. OPSEC = operational security.
Yup. Sounds douchey to me.

Now I'm going to go finish tilling my garden and taking my tractor to my neighbors multiple times to scoop some aged manure and top soil for the dressing. I'll make sure to run silent and run deep on my Ford, normally painted blue but now sports a sage grass camouflaged pattern to maintain 'OPSEC' so my neighbors don't catch on, lol.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:

We've gone hunting and fishing together, he and his son stayed at my cabin. Very decent guy for the most part.
That's right I'm a raging independent. Oh the horror. And since when does politics have anything at all to do with the subject? Why would you even bring that up? Is it that important to separate posters in the realm of preparedness by political columns? That boggles my mind. Who the 'f' cares? I didn't think you did but maybe I'm wrong, or at least I would hope so.

Add 'Don't talk about psuedo para-military crap' when the majority spouting it off don't have a '214' let alone a clue. That sticks in my craw more than anything else. And there's a BUNCH of that crap and you know it.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:15 AM

50,292 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Yeah, yeah, we get it...…….being a prepper is sooooooo smart. The flaw in your theory is, FOOD GOES BAD after a while, even canned food. You can only stock so much and even the best prepared person will eventually run out.

You would need a pantry the size of the Queen Elizabeth to last any significant amount of time, and you would end up eating out of date and rotten food at the end.

The food supplies in this country are not going to go completely away, the shelves are already refilling, and life will go on. If I had to live in a cave and always think the end was coming, I would rather be dead.
You rotate your stash. It isn't a pack of cigs.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:34 AM

10 posts, read 5,942 times
i planted potatoe plants.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:

And on a lighter note. Picked up this old gal for $75 in Libby a few months ago

Running strong since 1955

My son and I continue with our incurable IH disease. That old gal will be pressed into service as the 'hog coffin', lol.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:25 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
And on a lighter note. Picked up this old gal for $75 in Libby a few months ago

Running strong since 1955

My son and I continue with our incurable IH disease. That old gal will be pressed into service as the 'hog coffin', lol.
Sounds good.
I know you like IH stuff, there are a bunch of 1940s-1950s IH tractors in Roundup in very good condition. I haven't had a chance to stop and talk to the guy that has them in his yard, it looks like he's restoring them.
He's got a couple of M's hand Super M's I wouldn't mind having. Got a really nice H too, but it's got the narrow front end.

I'll be bringing my father's 2 Super M's up to my place. Going to plant in a bunch of barley hay. I want to get some Hereford Hogs, a heritage breed, and pasture them in that grain field. They have really good lard as well as meat. I can get all the hogs I want from my neighbor, but I like having my own stock.
My Scottish Highlander cattle already produce fantastic meat, nd the tallow is second to none. Once processed, lard and tallow keep forever and can be used not just for food and soap, but also can be used to store other food without refrigeration.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:51 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
There is no lack of food because the food supply is contaminated. This is a personnel issue. All that is needed is more testing. Those without COVID-19 can still work. There are no shortage of cows, pigs, or chickens. Just find people that aren't infected to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness