Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 08:56 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times

Advertisements

My blood boils at the early stage where the dog and pony show initially told us masks would do no good, only because they didn't want millions of Americans trying to buy them before the government could secure the supply. Then the same dog and pony now say face masks will keep the virus from spreading.

More need to hold these authorities accountable for their lies or else we will never be able to believe anything.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/o...ace-masks.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 08:57 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Yeah what ev's. I've provided a whole lot of facts to ,,,
Almost nothing you provided is fact.

Almost all of it is either Leftist Propaganda, or Communist Party Propaganda.
Pushing that tired old Propaganda, that has been debunked for weeks,
makes you look like a political hack or a tool.

If you want to look like something other than a tool,
do something other than pushing propaganda.

If you can't do any better, I for one, will simply put you on "Ignore."

Old 05-24-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
My blood boils at the early stage where the dog and pony show initially told us masks would do no good, only because they didn't want millions of Americans trying to buy them before the government could secure the supply. Then the same dog and pony now say face masks will keep the virus from spreading.

More need to hold these authorities accountable for their lies or else we will never be able to believe anything.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/o...ace-masks.html
Well what you said is true, but what they said was also mostly true.
(BTW: I didn't look at your link, and I won't look at your link.)

Wearing a mask won't keep you from catching the virus, but wearing any sort of face covering will help keep you from spreading it, if you are an asymptomatic carrier.

Almost no one knew, in March, that there were a lot of asymptomatic carriers. Now we know, so we had to adjust for the new info. Now, however, it might be time to put the masks away.

At this point, we need to go ahead and get out into society, and allow this virus to (slowly) spread. Once 75% of us have the antibodies, the virus will have a very difficult time spreading. It is going to take a while, but that is how herd immunity works.

Old 05-24-2020, 05:21 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Well what you said is true, but what they said was also mostly true.
(BTW: I didn't look at your link, and I won't look at your link.)

Wearing a mask won't keep you from catching the virus, but wearing any sort of face covering will help keep you from spreading it, if you are an asymptomatic carrier.

Almost no one knew, in March, that there were a lot of asymptomatic carriers. Now we know, so we had to adjust for the new info. Now, however, it might be time to put the masks away.

At this point, we need to go ahead and get out into society, and allow this virus to (slowly) spread. Once 75% of us have the antibodies, the virus will have a very difficult time spreading. It is going to take a while, but that is how herd immunity works.
Wearing a mask only does any good if everyone participates - claiming they were half right by omission is weak.. It is true, the ones we are depending upon to lead us out of the mess discouraged their own citizens from buying. They wanted no competition in the mask market and then they had state orders canceled so the Feds could get the masks first for the National Strategic Stockpile. Virginia lost an order, as did MA, CO, NJ, KY and TX. This is the same government that said you can't expect the Federal government to bail the states out with supplies, they could get their own. And then squashed their orders. For others looking for that link: https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...-orders-2020-4

We best be careful about calling out the Chinese Communist Party about lying, when our own leaders have done the same. Our government has bungled this crisis - there is no other way to put it.

Old 05-24-2020, 06:06 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Masks are not the same. Telling the difference is beyond the intellectual capacity of most Americans, because they are too lazy to look it up.

Cloth masks - slobber stoppers

Surgical masks - snot stoppers

n95 masks - Spec 95% effective against 0.3 micron particles

n99 masks - Spec 99% effective against 0.3 micron particles, but in reality do not test better than n95.

HEPA filter respirators (AKA P100) - minimum 99.97% of 0.3 micron particles.

Free virus after the liquid evaporates can be as small as 0.02 micron. Mask material designed to generate an electrostatic charge from air movement will remove some particles that small. Many filters have been upgraded to charged fiber filters, but not all. Also, avoid contact with solvents like isopropyl alcohol, which will neutralize the electrostatic charge. Filtering ability degrades from breath moisture, which is why medical masks are disposable. Valved respirators with separate paths for inhalation and exhalation are more durable and can be reused.

A property fitted n95 or better mask with face shield or safety goggles will provide reliable protection in a contaminated environment. Stick your finger under it to scratch your nose and all bets are off.

For anything but temporary use, a commercial respirator with a soft silicone face shield and replaceable P100 filter is your best bet. It's easy to check the fit - just block the intake filters with your hands and suck. Light weight masks designed to be worn for a full 8 hour shift are pretty comfortable.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
We best be careful about calling out the Chinese Communist Party about lying, when our own leaders have done the same. Our government has bungled this crisis - there is no other way to put it.
I don't believe I have ever said Chinese Communist Party (I could be wrong).

I usually say Communist Party Propaganda, because it is often chapters of the CP, here in our own country, along with other Leftist organizations who do the most damage. And I call it Propaganda, because a lot of what they say is kinda true, but out of context. Like saying we should have begun the "Lock Down" two weeks earlier, when it was them who told people to ignore those who told us to shelter in place. Most of the bungling that has been done, has been done by career bureaucrats, most of which are members of (or do the bidding of) Leftist organizations. They are the same ones that Trump calls "the swamp."
It is the water inside the ship that sinks it...

Old 05-25-2020, 10:07 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Here we go with the leftist this and leftist that, gun totten, like that's going to save you from a highly contagious SARS virus. Okay tough guys, here's the thing. Read about how much better other countries have handled this like Taiwan. Miles off the coast of mainland China. Population 24 million with under 500 cases and a handful of deaths. They never had to lock down. Why is that? Iceland has 1,700 cases with less than ten deaths. How? South Korea confirmed their first case around the same time we did, yet, they are reporting 30 new cases a day vs our 20,000 new cases a day. Pathetic. Germany has a high infection rate but their death rate is lower than ours. We lose the equivalent of a 911 about every three days. Germany? Three hundred fifteen deaths in 24 hours. How did they do it? They developed a test early on and had good contact tracing and isolation. New Zealand. Strict mandatory quarantine of all visitors, and a complete lock down. They did it early and aggressively.

What did all of these countries have in common? Science based, early, aggressive intervention and mitigation. We can can send a man to the moon, but we can't develop a test early on for Covid? We can't trace and isolate infected people? We can't all do our part and wear a mask in public? This is all pathetic. This never should have happened on our soil. We should have been like Taiwan, and once upon a time we were. SARS in 2003 was on our soil and stopped in 6 months. H1N1 was a pandemic, yet, we had a vaccine early on.

So, the bottom line in all of these countries that got is right is good leadership. The countries like Brazil, the USA, now number one in infections and deaths, and soon Russia. The common denominator? Bad, inept leadership.

So what do we do now that we are living in a third world country?

Stop crying about wearing a mask. Roll up your sleeves and do your part to starve this virus out, because it's all we have. Our testing is woefully inadequate, and there is no plan other than what the governors have done to test and contact trace. Getting needed supplies is difficult without "all the best people" central in government coordinating that response.

For gods sake stop making this political and READ! Your local heath department, and our weak CDC is what you should focus on, not some fringe my freedom, I don't want to wear a mask because it's a hoax moron mentality. You're being manipulated to be "warriors" because we are going into a depression and panic mode is setting in. We need the Darwin crowd to go out there and open up the country. Consumer confidence is everything. Gas light the rubes into thinking this is nothing and my freedom blah blah blah.

You want to survive this? You want to be prepared? Get N95 masks as soon as the manufacturing catches up. Wear them in public places. Stock up on gloves. Grocery shop once a month or use Instacart. Stay out of crowds. Those of us that can stay home, should. This is not going away anytime soon. When you have a botched response to the point that it's too late? You have to take care of yourself now. Your gun isn't going to help you, but your knowledge will.
Slow down and breathe, friend.

Iceland, NZ, and Taiwan are islands, easier to isolate, highly urbanized and organized. Korea is a peninsula, also very urban and tightly organized. The U.S. is vast, diverse, and decentralized. We don't like being told what to do. Not comparable.

Plus, Taiwan and Korea both have lots of people in mainland China, lots of investments, factories & employees etc. They have their ear close to the ground and probably knew a lot sooner than we did that a dangerous virus was loose.

I'll grant you, Germany's done a better job. They have smart bureaucrats, smart scientists, and smart politicians. They're a smart people, highly organized, obedient to authority, and with great technology. They had a good Wuhan virus test early on. So yeah, kudos to Germany.

I think you need to give people here more credit. We're trying to be smart and survive here. Sweden has tried not locking down, and they're doing more or less the same as elsewhere in Europe. Their # of cases is growing, though.

The virus is peaking, maybe starting to blow itself out. Hydroxychloroquine is finally gaining acceptance as an effective early treatment and preventative. There are something like 40 different vaccines in testing, many very promising. The light's at the end of the tunnel.

This has been an excellent experiment in preparedness. I think we've all learned a lot.

I'm a novice but trying to get quickly up the learning curve on hunting, foraging, and growing. We've got a bunch of raised beds, and crops are already starting to come up. Next year I'm hoping to have chickens, a good hunting dog, and a decent hunting rifle (have been a bow-and-arrow hunter up to now). And there are a lot of people like me, newly interested in hunting and fishing and homesteading. That's a good thing, overall, as long as they are respectful of nature and their fellow outdoorsmen!

Old 05-26-2020, 05:17 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
My concern is whether the Chinese considered this to be successful. When they sent Wuhanese to other countries the were obviously trying to se the effects of wide-spread infections. I wonder whether it was planned beforehand or decided after they began to see the effects.

Old 05-27-2020, 02:25 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,306,326 times
There is no deadly virus. It’s all a preplanned show. This is a globalist takeover to fully enslave us. Prepare for that instead. “Contact tracers” and mandatory vaccines will soon be the “new normal.” This may very well be “it.”

I hope I’m wrong and they walk it back and we can move on to the next thing.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:57 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Question There are plenty of deadly viruses, or are those all hoaxes also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
There is no deadly virus. It’s all a preplanned show. This is a globalist takeover to fully enslave us. Prepare for that instead. “Contact tracers” and mandatory vaccines will soon be the “new normal.” This may very well be “it.”
So my grandparents are not dead? Their symptoms and hospitalization were all a hoax? Fountains of Wayne still has their bass guitarist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness