Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 09:42 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,122,942 times

Advertisements

Ive been a "prepper" for about 8 years and overtime I have stocked ways to feed my family for about a year. I also have several thousand rounds of different
Calibers for a few pistols and rifles.

My brother in law and sister in law are pastors and years ago he showed me the one revolver he had from his grandpa and he said he had about 20 38 special rounds. I mentioned he should look into getting a modern semi auto pistol and get at least at the minimum a few hundred rounds. His reply "I trust the Lord will take care of us"

Recently I mentioned to my sister in law how long they would be able to feed their family if there was a severe collapse and empty shelves, she said She trusts the lord and doesn't plan on storing any additional food beyond a week.

Now I am a Christian. I am not perfect. I do trust God's plan but im sure there are verses saying to keep stores of food and provide for your own and "grab a sword" if you have to defend yourself.

My sister in law says "living in fear" is not correct way of thinking but I don't really call it "fear". I just dont want my 15 month old son who I love more than I can express, to starve to death.

I think its a balance. Yes we should trust the Lord but he also gave us a brain.

Thoughts?

Last edited by westcoastforme; 05-11-2020 at 10:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 09:54 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
Well, it's been a long time since I read the bible as I don't believe in supernatural deity, but it says to store up for lean times. I believe it was King David (??) who stored grain for seven years of famine.

It's like these folks who think god will save them from covid, or if it's their time, it's gods Will or something. No it ain't, god gave you a brain for a reason. So you could exercise good judgement.

Oh, just re-read your post - yup, you said the same thing.

What is the old saying, "Praise the lord and pass the ammo!"

Old 05-11-2020, 10:48 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,122,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Well, it's been a long time since I read the bible as I don't believe in supernatural deity, but it says to store up for lean times. I believe it was King David (??) who stored grain for seven years of famine.

It's like these folks who think god will save them from covid, or if it's their time, it's gods Will or something. No it ain't, god gave you a brain for a reason. So you could exercise good judgement.

Oh, just re-read your post - yup, you said the same thing.

"And 2 more loaded Pmags"

I just don't to be in a situation where the show up on my doorstep, all 6 of them (4 kids) and my year of food for my wife my son and I turns into a month and a half.

How do I nicely say now you'll be turned away?

I guess I could buy a bunch of bulk bags of rice for them...

While i eat my MRES canned tuna and chicken, oats pasta, beans, canned potatoes and corned beef hash

Old 05-12-2020, 08:59 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
the lord will guide those 20 rounds directly into the hearts of the followers of satan!

Old 05-12-2020, 09:11 AM

287 posts, read 212,171 times
^ If you took any time to discover what they were actually saying, you'd find out they were probably asking for the Lord's protection on them during their mission. You know, the mission where they work to free people who are enslaved by tyrants and tyrannical groups. Not to mention how they keep us safe here at home while you ridicule them. I suppose some of the sheep aren't wise enough to be grateful for the shepherd.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceski44 View Post
^ If you took any time to discover what they were actually saying, you'd find out they were probably asking for the Lord's protection on them during their mission. You know, the mission where they work to free people who are enslaved by tyrants and tyrannical groups. Not to mention how they keep us safe here at home while you ridicule them. I suppose some of the sheep aren't wise enough to be grateful for the shepherd.
oh my god, there are people that still actually believe that?

Old 05-12-2020, 10:27 AM

[quote=CaptainNJ;58088781]the lord will guide those 20 rounds directly into the hearts of the followers of satan!/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
oh my god, there are people that still actually believe that?
You sure throw His name around a lot. Are you sure you're not a closet believer?

But, getting back on topic, I'm a Christian who believes God expects us to be active in providing for ourselves in the things we can manage while asking Him for help with things that are beyond our control. To that end, I have weapons and stockpiles of food and water, which will go to support our friends and family when needed.

It's kind of funny right now-- I offered my neighbor some of the pulled pork I made, and he gave me a funny look and said slowly "No...no thanks." People have gotten so freaked about about this virus, we can't even share food!

There's a joke about some guy who was in a flood. He climbed up on the roof and started asking God to save him. Next thing you know, a tree trunk comes floating by. Instead of jumping in and swimming to it, he says "The Lord will provide." and stays on the roof as the water rises around him. Then a rescue boat comes along and instead of clambering into it, he says again "The Lord will provide." Then a helicopter comes along with a searchlight and dangling rope. Instead of grabbing the line, he again says "The Lord will provide." Soon after, the waters rise over his head and he expires. When he gets to heaven, he says to God "I waited for you to rescue me, but you never did!" Then God says "I sent you a tree trunk, a boat and a helicopter, but you turned them away!" I pray to recognize God's helping hand in my life and grab it for a lift.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:33 AM

[quote=Bruceski44;58089632]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the lord will guide those 20 rounds directly into the hearts of the followers of satan!/QUOTE]

You sure throw His name around a lot. Are you sure you're not a closet believer?
i realize one may think that since you would assume one cant both believe in god and support a military that murders countless innocents but no i do not hold any religious beliefs.

but to go back to the topic, one cant both care for their own needs and expect god to care for their needs. if you think god is going to take care of you after your food runs out in a week, why not expect god to care for you for the first week? when does god's emergency plans start to kick in?

Old 05-12-2020, 10:34 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,057,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post

Or the famous one from the Civil war;
"God made all men, Colt made them equal"!

To the OP:
God truly does help those who help themselves, God is sovereign; but we are responsible.
Some of what your relatives have said is akin to a Christian scientist dying due to having faith God will cure them. When God has already placed a doctor next door.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:01 AM

[quote=CaptainNJ;58089689]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceski44 View Post

but to go back to the topic, one cant both care for their own needs and expect god to care for their needs. if you think god is going to take care of you after your food runs out in a week, why not expect god to care for you for the first week? when does god's emergency plans start to kick in?
I think I already answered that when I said God will help with things beyond my control. It's not as trivial as you believe. He won't restock the TP after it runs out, but He will provide the wisdom I need to cope and act. You should try it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness