Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 05:05 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I think this section is a "special" place for a certain group of "special" people who are often accused of wearing "special" hats.
WooHoo!

I am special!

I am special!

I get to wear a hat and I am special!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 05:37 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
WooHoo!

I am special!

I am special!

I get to wear a hat and I am special!

careful, the hats chafe sometimes.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:00 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
careful, the hats chafe sometimes.
LOL

I attend a conference each year for folks who wear 'special' hats. I made mine from stainless steel sheet metal, and soldered the seams. No chaffing, no scratches

Did I mention that my house is a Faraday cage?

Old 11-27-2009, 06:26 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,069,265 times
Wink Works for me !

I'm not very self sufficient but I do know how to prepare in case of a serious emergency. I can dig a hole in the soft soil in my area very quickly for any catastrophic event.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:02 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,464,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I'm not very self sufficient but I do know how to prepare in case of a serious emergency. I can dig a hole in the soft soil in my area very quickly for any catastrophic event.
I'd say you look well protected and good to go. Carry on.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:14 PM

216 posts, read 343,656 times
Reminds me when that wind storm hit Bollix Ms you know Kertena i was on the phone talking to the boy ask why he didn't leave long ago ??? Well you know the usual excuses you read them here . Well you could here that house popping and glass breaking long about then i could tell he wished he would of been somewhere else then the phone went dead

Two weeks later we finely heard from him first few days they had crackers and some water nothing around them stood the wind there house was a wreck he said and just food was a big deal . Then he said the insects came from everywhere . Now you would think going threw this plus hardly no gas in the truck you would learn a thing or two

Any one want to bet he don't have two days food in the house right now

Some people don't learn . For some the best thing they could do in a case like this is sit in the corner put you head between your legs this way you are in a poishion to kiss your but good by Think i told him that as the phone was cracking up .

He just gave me and his mother more grey hair is all

Old 11-27-2009, 10:21 PM

651 posts, read 1,417,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
WAIT . . . . WAIT . . . .

Is this about 2012?

You absolutely gotta be kidding me. So CityData believes the world is going to end in 2 years? I cant believe this is a serious section.

I'm just shocked.

No wait, this is just probably some section just incase if a natural disaster occurred right? like floods, hurricane, earthquakes? Yes thats what this section is about. Has to be.
hmmm... first post seemed entirely clueless; in the very next post they suddenly flailed about 2012, which nobody had mentioned. Is the OP as clueless as they appear?

Old 11-28-2009, 01:53 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
It can also be to share ideas about how to 'stand on our own two feet' with a bit more authority. Along with the ability to be prepared comes the ability to do things and make things that most folks have lost the ability to do and make. I just ordered a book about skills that our rural grandparents had and most of us don't. I'm looking forward to reading it. We can also discuss frugal living, efficient housing techniques/designs, off-grid living, optimal climatic conditions for 'homesteading' (bad term, I know), etc. All of this relates to self-sufficiency and preparedness.

I think there is a little overlap with the 'green living' forum. But that tends to be overshadowed by arguing about the environment.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:47 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,310,577 times
Katrina II, tornado, earthquake, power grid failure, ice storm, panademic, or Obama elected to a second term. Lots of things to prepare for besides a Mayan calendar.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:40 PM

6 posts, read 13,779 times
how about state deficits and baby boomers to retire in 2011?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness