Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 08:18 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,520,559 times

Advertisements

How are you stocking up or preparing for your prescription medicine needs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 12:05 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,467,564 times
For emergencies, I keep duct tape, and some twine.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:26 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,313,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post

We are lucky that we don't have to take any drugs on a regular basis. I keep an unopened bottle of Ibuprofen, Aspirin, and Tylenol on hand. I have kept antibiotics (Cirpro, penicillin) on-hand for about 15 years; the last time they expired I never refilled them. I need to get around to it.

If you ask your doc for a script and tell him why, he or she will probably write it. Next time you are at the doc ask him for a recommendation. I'd bet he'd recommend one good antibiotic and penicillin. The advantage to the doc is he will prescribe the dose for your weight and health history.

Storage is the key. Keep them cool. Keep them away from light. I used to vacuum seal them in a Mason jar and keep them in our interior closet, which was the coolest room in the house.

As for stocking up, it depends on the type of medication. I know of people here in NM that make a "drug run" to Mexico every couple months. They have an arrangement with a pharmacy there who prepares the order for everyone in their group. A couple guys drive down, pick everything up for the group, and drive back. It is about a six hour drive from Santa Fe. From what I hear, even with gas and expenses it still far cheaper for them. If you have an important maintenance drug a trip to Mexico or Canada might be worth it.

If you just want cheap emergency antibiotics, check out a pet store. You can get them cheap and without a script. Whatever you do, just make sure to rotate the stuff.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:01 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,693,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
yes, we are. Problem is that 'scripted drugs can "spoil" if not rotated and turn very toxic if to old. That is something there is no way to avoid.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:44 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,717,637 times
Tightwad is right.

Even when I stocked up on a sale of Excedrin....they now upset my stomach due to their age. New bottle doesn't cause that.

Maybe packing pills in rice or something to keep moisture down might help...but for me, my meds just can't be stockpiled like that.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:59 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,905,541 times
The one drug that gets overlooked that can save your life is an EpiPen, which is the brand name for epinephrine. I keep a set of two on hand. A MUST HAVE!!!

Old 11-30-2009, 05:12 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,693,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Tightwad is right.

Even when I stocked up on a sale of Excedrin....they now upset my stomach due to their age. New bottle doesn't cause that.

Maybe packing pills in rice or something to keep moisture down might help...but for me, my meds just can't be stockpiled like that.
Sorry, there is no known way to keep 'scripted med's much past a year due to simple fact that all med's are formulations of various chemicals that have short shelf lives. That said, any 'scripted med can turn into a deadly poison past it's designed shelf life! Not good news but true.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,918,474 times
That is why man in those sitautions has a short shelf life himself.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:36 AM

298 posts, read 482,703 times
There was a time when folks were not dependant on pills to help with various ailments. Quite frnakly would start looking into the more natural ways of physiking myself - actually have some books on that that might prove useful and while the pills are a much more effective way of dealing with certain ailments, they are you say..have a short shelf life.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:42 AM

32 posts, read 56,533 times
I found it interesting to learn that some local missionaries have an open request for prescription meds and take expired unused prescription medication to 3rd world countries on their missions. Perhaps it depends on the medication regarding how long it's effective to take versus ineffective to take versus harmful to take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness