Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 06:19 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,173,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Back on topic...

Since I have trouble swatting a fly, I'm pretty much a goner . Like another poster stated I really have no desire to live in a post-apocalyptic world.

Since you mentioned The Road (loved the book, skipped the movie)...that brings up another topic for me:

For all of the shoot-em-up-types: are you also comfortable with the concept of cannibalism?

Surely if things really do get that bad, meat will also be in short supply. Rumor has it that humans are made of meat.

Waste not, want not, as they say.
If the post-nuclear apocalypse is as boring as The Road, I think many of the living would envy the dead. Plus if you make eating people a habit you're likely to develop fatal nerve disorders. Of course just doing it once is enough, but every time increase your chances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 09:17 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,712,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I fail to see how letting an entity that cannot go broke sell insurance equates to competition. Without having to worry about running out of money the government could undercut anyone.
The government could sell insurance without having to show huge profits to shareholders and give huge salaries to CEOs. And, I bet they could still even be slightly profitable.

Quote:
That would be useful if I was growing up now, and if I felt doing business online was safe.
FWIW, Ive been shopping safely on Amazon for the past 13 years.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:39 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Back on topic...

Since I have trouble swatting a fly, I'm pretty much a goner . Like another poster stated I really have no desire to live in a post-apocalyptic world.

Since you mentioned The Road (loved the book, skipped the movie)...that brings up another topic for me:

For all of the shoot-em-up-types: are you also comfortable with the concept of cannibalism?

Surely if things really do get that bad, meat will also be in short supply. Rumor has it that humans are made of meat.

Waste not, want not, as they say.
There are some problems. But it seems to merit further study. There is ample evidence from recent history that the taboo against cannibalism is very weak, so we can certainly expect it to take place, perhaps even become widespread, in hard times. But there are health considerations:

Widespread Cannibalism May Have Caused Prehistoric Prion Disease Epidemics, Science Study Suggests

While the taboo does not seem to apply to human behavior when starvation threatens, it is quite effective in discouraging research into what we might call the healthy consumption of people. In the early days of a TEOTWAWKI situation when drug addicts will largely die off, the potential presence of drugs in the meat would be a good reason to avoid it both for humans and pets. Later, when it becomes common, every individual will be forced to choose. History indicates what the more common choice will be. But it appears that there will be serious health risks.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
There are some problems. But it seems to merit further study. There is ample evidence from recent history that the taboo against cannibalism is very weak, so we can certainly expect it to take place, perhaps even become widespread, in hard times. But there are health considerations:

Widespread Cannibalism May Have Caused Prehistoric Prion Disease Epidemics, Science Study Suggests

While the taboo does not seem to apply to human behavior when starvation threatens, it is quite effective in discouraging research into what we might call the healthy consumption of people. In the early days of a TEOTWAWKI situation when drug addicts will largely die off, the potential presence of drugs in the meat would be a good reason to avoid it both for humans and pets. Later, when it becomes common, every individual will be forced to choose. History indicates what the more common choice will be. But it appears that there will be serious health risks.
Well, at least now I understand where the zombie legend arises - thanks for posting.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:56 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,014,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Well, at least now I understand where the zombie legend arises - thanks for posting.

Don't make fun. When they're at the gates clamoring for fresh brains it won't be a pretty sight or a good day.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:54 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I fail to see how letting an entity that cannot go broke sell insurance equates to competition.
But governments can and do go broke. Where do you get this idea that they can't? You've heard of Greece, right? You do know that California and a few other states are teetering, right?

You have to remember that government is a parasitic organism--it produces nothing. It survives by feeding off from us and then engaging in a sort of symbiotic relationship with us. If we (citizens) get to the point that we are not providing the revenue needed for the government to function, the government goes broke. How does that happen? Well, when more people are sponging from the government than funding it and the government spends way more than it has.

Relying on the government for 100% of you and your family's needs is, in my opinion, folly. It's a recipe for disaster. Not saying you are doing that... just sayin'.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
Don't make fun. When they're at the gates clamoring for fresh brains it won't be a pretty sight or a good day.
lol...I really wasn't making fun, I promise. I'm reading World War Z by Max Brooks (Mel Brooks' son) about "the zombie wars" (such good post-apocalyptic reading too) and was wondering why zombies always pop up in apocalyptic settings. I bet this article really does explain the source of why!

Old 06-09-2010, 05:07 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
So now we have Bra-less Amazonian Women and Zombies running amok. It's starting to sound like a rip-roaring good time. Will there be beer?

It's kind of nice to see a bit of levity in the SS&P forum.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:50 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,173,875 times
My problem with zombies is that I can't see how they manage to reach the critical mass to take over. Let's take WWZ as an example. Spoilers to follow.

You were warned about the spoilers. The whole epidemic is spreading throughout the US (and the world for that matter, but we get the American perspective here) for the whole summer, but somehow everyone is convinced their neighbors just have rabies instead of becoming zombies until the Battle of New York.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:01 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,014,468 times
Quote:
So now we have Bra-less Amazonian Women and Zombies running amok. It's starting to sound like a rip-roaring good time. Will there be beer?

It's kind of nice to see a bit of levity in the SS&P forum.

You forgot the cannibals, who are a distinct group from teh zombeez.

Remember, folks: Cardio.

It's not that the zombies take over so much as they begin to outnumber the uninfected. Certainly they won't have any form of government or sense of cooperation, but rather a mad catch-(and devour)-as-catch-can kind of existence. This is why they never battle it out over something, they just pile all over one another, snatch-and-grab, tearing away gobbets of flesh to feed their insane hunger. Anything resembling cooperation is purely coincidental.

Zombies are, essentially, sharks. What do sharks do?

...drift....drift....dr--OOH! What's that? EAT IT!!!......drift...drift...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness