Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 01:55 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by follie View Post
As in all things, you get what you pay for. There are basically two tiers of IKEA things- cheap things that are made cheaply and perfect for short term use, like in college. Then, they have things made of real wood that are actually a nice buy. If you can check them out in person, I would recommend it.

Plus, wandering around IKEA for 3 hours is fun.
True, when it's not jam packed, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 03:25 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
I like the store and the prices seem reasonable but I hate putting things together. I was going to buy some things for my son's bedroom but I know that with my attention span he'd probably be crushed by his dresser collapsing on him when he tried to get some socks I like the meatballs though

Old 08-19-2010, 04:00 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,392,797 times
I recommend checking out the super cheap Swedish meatball lunch with lignonberry jam. If you like the meatballs, they sell them frozen in them marketplace with the gravy packets. I get them every time I go.

I have several pieces of furniture from IKEA and all have held up very well. Our TV console was a somewhat recent purchase and I love it. I have a matching bookshelf that I've had for 6 years and love it too. Both are very sturdy.

The cool thing about IKEA is that if you buy a dresser now and decide you want a matching piece later, they'll have it. They keep the same styles and colors for quite a long time.

I would pass on some of their kitchen items, like spatulas and drinking cups. I find them of a lower quality.

Another thing I get there regularly is their jumbo pack of tea light candles for a few bucks. Can't beat that.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:12 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,374,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I like the store and the prices seem reasonable but I hate putting things together. I was going to buy some things for my son's bedroom but I know that with my attention span he'd probably be crushed by his dresser collapsing on him when he tried to get some socks I like the meatballs though
That's funny! I recommend the kid's stuff. I actually "made" a toddler bed when my son was small. Laugh. Somehow, one becomes transfixed during the task of furniture creation for a small helpless child.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:55 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,416,916 times
I couldn't find an entertainment center that would fit a large space and had enough storage. I went to Ikea and "built" a 8 piece unit and it turned out wonderful. I have storage cabinets with frosted glass, deep book shelves and large draws and my flatscreen fits perfectly

Old 08-25-2010, 07:14 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I've never been in an Ikea store, but I recently received one of their catalogues in the mail. I saw a couple pieces that I liked (a dresser and a night table) that were reasonably priced and I'm considering going over there to purchase them.

Does anyone have any experience with their furniture, specifically the dressers? Do the bottoms of the drawers come out (like they do with that really cheapo furniture)? Or are they well-manufactured and durable?

Any input is greatly appreciated!!!!!
Like everything else in life it depends how much it cost and how well it's made. When you are in the showroom if you see something that catches your eye pay particular attention to how it’s made and the materials. You can get good buys there just pay attention to the quality of the materials.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,827 times
Now modular furniture are very costly today..But now for office as well as home we can use liquidated furniture..office furniture liquidators are used by all the people..liquidated furniture is always in very good condition..

Old 09-26-2010, 02:42 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Assuming that the Ikea furniture you buy in America is the same as here in Scandinavia: Ikea, even the cheaper stuff, is very good quality for it's price.

Their designs aren't always great, but they're going good these days, and considering the cost, I've yet to find any store that'll provide the level of quality for the same amount of money.

I'd advice to stay away from the beds and couches though (essentially anything stuffed I guess) they don't keep their shape and firmness terribly well.

Kitchens, storage units etc etc are all very good for it's price though.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:37 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,446 times
I think it depends on the quality and price. I bought a dresser from Ikea and the quality of it is fine. I mean it took me and my sister two hours to put this thing together, but it was fun while it lasted. Yes, Ikea is fun too. I enjoy going there and just imagining what I can get in the future when I live by myself.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:12 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
The cool thing about IKEA is that if you buy a dresser now and decide you want a matching piece later, they'll have it. They keep the same styles and colors for quite a long time.
Not quite true !!!

We have stuff from them (used to live in Europe, and took several trips to Sweden to get stuff tax free !!).
Items were called *Timmerman*. Solid wood !! Incredible quality !!
They do not carry it any more. Too bad. The *Billy* stuff, is way less solidly made.
The Storage shelving we have is not the same as they sell today !!!

I have the feeling, that the stuff sold in Europe, comes form another area altogether ... ???
I really would love to compare a European catalogue with one destined for the USA !

Haven't visited IKEA for umpteen years now, even tho they do have one in our area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products