Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 01:14 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
WalMart also carries fruits, vegetables and healthier food products.
We are the ones who decide which aisle we are going to shop in.
Not all WalMarts do... The one near me (well... a 45 minute drive) doesn't have any fresh foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 06:56 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Not all WalMarts do... The one near me (well... a 45 minute drive) doesn't have any fresh foods.
Jet, the ones that carry a full line of grocery items are those known as Super Centers. Not all of the existing WalMarts are Super Centers, but that will eventually come to an end, as the chain is busy replacing the smaller stores with S/C's. The produce is not always the freshest, and the meats are not what I would choose, but that's a personal choice. Since the check-out lines are often long, I find it easier to shop at my local stores, especially since prices there have become competitive.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:24 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
I shop a combination of stores. Where we live, we are limited, so I don't get the same prices I used to by shopping 'loss leaders' at all the stores, but I do okay.

Walmart is waaay cheaper around here on milk (somedays 99 cents vs 2.69 at grocery), soda, chips, cheese, crackers, paper goods, coffee and cleaning and hygiene products. Their meat is cheaper, but not by much, and the quality is hit or miss. I generally check the meat case, but bypass most of it. Their produce is also hit or miss, but I find the same thing in most groceries as well.

Their prices vary by region - I often post on FB the days our Walmart has 99 cent milk or some other 'fabulous' deal and get mumblings of discontent by my friends in other states & areas.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:11 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Was I the only one to see this coming? I stopped shopping at Walmart earlier this year and have saved money and lost weight....weird.

Today's article explains why....and I thought I was the only one who got so irritated with Walmart and took my business elsewhere.

Walmart Rolls Back Rollbacks: Food Prices at Two-Year High - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20101013/us_time/08599202385700 - broken link)

Walmart is losing money AND they have to get customers to spend MORE... and their limited selection of prepackaged foods - aren't the healthiest.
I used to like Walmart. Got to save money anyway we can...but I just noticed that I spent MORE when I shopped there. Could be a combination of the register scanning prices higher than the shelf tag (another thread on this already) and a sense of since those pizzas are so cheap...."let's get two". So that could be why my family has lost some weight. We've stopped soda pop all together where we used to STOCK UP on those 79 cents walmart brand sodas.

Wal Mart is an unstopable force in America, you will never be able to stop them. You should shop at Publix & Macys.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:36 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Wal Mart is an unstopable force in America, you will never be able to stop them. You should shop at Publix & Macys.
I partially agree with your statement about WalMart, but we don't have a Publix (food store?) and I could never afford to shop at Macy's.

I do think at some point, WalMart's stock will start to fall as their prices begin to reach parity with other chains. I was in a WalMart today that will be closing in two weeks because a Super Center will be opening a short distance away. I saw lots of sections emptied and blocked off as they sell off merchandise and/or pack it up to move it to stock the new store. Fully expected to see lots of good sales to unload merchandise and not have to move it, but the prices were the same as always.

People are in such dire straits that even WalMart will be too expensive for them and stores such as Aldi and Save-a-Lot and the like will be flourishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products